Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie Questions

Hello all, i've been reading up about Nitro touring cars lately and I'm very excited. I do have a few questions that I'm having trouble figuring out, and I was hoping you guys could help. I have a friend that races electric offroad, but he does not know too much about nitro. We're taking a trip down to the local hobby shop tomorrow to look around, so any quick replies are appreciated. I have decided that sinc I'm not looking to race competatively right away, I am pretty set on the RS4 3 EVO w/ the T-15. Since i have never really had any hands on experience w/ Nitro my first question is:

What exactly does the glow plug do? How often must they be replaced, and how much do they cost? Do you need to have the glowplug starter?

Batteries: It says 4AA for the receiver and 8 AA For the Transmitter, any others?

RotoStart: How does this work? Does it require batteries of its own also?

I Keep seeing this on certain web sites selling the EVO : "It is not possible to request a specific radio channel when ordering because they are supplied by the manufacturer at random." But the HPI Site said the radio comes w/ 6 crystals..What gives?

Basically if you do not have the time to answer the questions above I guess I'm really looking to find out exactly what you guys that are more expericened believe I should buy with the EVO Kit to get me set for a few days through the break in, etc... Fuel, glowplug, how many batteries, etc? Money is somewhat a factor I dont want to have to splurge for things i do not need right away but I will purchase what would be necessary. Again, any help is aprreciated. Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by attomixt
I am pretty set on the RS4 3 EVO w/ the T-15. [/i]
good choice of car for a starter.... LEARN IT WELL... learn how to drive it. learn how to tune the engine (really easy to tune...hehehe).... learn to break things and replace the parts.

What exactly does the glow plug do?
they glow.... the filamen in the glow plug will glow once you put the glow starter... thats why you need the glow starter. when the piston being force to go up and down by the pull-start.... the glow of the glow plug will help to burn the fuel and the engine will start.

How often must they be replaced, and how much do they cost?
depend on how you use your car. u use often... then often to be replace. just take a look when the filamen doesnt glow or its very hard to start your engine although you have a FULLY CHARGED glow starter. then u know its time to replace. ALWAYS keep a couple of spares of the glow plugs around. dont leave home without it.

Do you need to have the glowplug starter?
definitely. otherwise you will only can push your car around manually.

Batteries: It says 4AA for the receiver and 8 AA For the Transmitter, any others?
NO. no need for others. dont forget to take out the connection of the battery for the recevier pack after you play your car. and take out the batt out from the radio after you play your car. you dont want the batt melt in it. if you use RE-CHARGEABLE batts.... u have to have a good charger. but RTR can use ALKALINE BATTERIES.... enough.

RotoStart: How does this work? Does it require batteries of its own also?
do u mean PULL-START?
if yes... no need batteries. u just pull the starter.
if the so called ROTO-START is electric... i think it will link to your RECEIVER PACK batt... no need other batteries. correct me if i am wrong.

But the HPI Site said the radio comes w/ 6 crystals..What gives?
i need to check on this... never heard of this before. usually RTR comes in 27Mhz frequency.... 27mhz means... 27.XXXmhz..

[i]I should buy with the EVO Kit
r u sure u want to start with NITRO RC with a KIT?
trust me... play with RTR first.
ask your HOBBY shop.... what kind of ON-ROAD car most people at your area use?... buy that car.

mop