R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   centax question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/475731-centax-question.html)

bigtee 01-27-2011 03:43 AM

centax question

whats the differance in the flyweights that has the holes in them that fits over the pins in the flywheel and the flyweights that dont have the holes and the pins in the flywheel splits the flyweights? also why do some flywheels have three pins and others have four ? what the advantage or disadvantage to either? thanks for any input

Phil Trotta 01-27-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by bigtee (Post 8555032)
whats the differance in the flyweights that has the holes in them that fits over the pins in the flywheel and the flyweights that dont have the holes and the pins in the flywheel splits the flyweights? also why do some flywheels have three pins and others have four ? what the advantage or disadvantage to either? thanks for any input

Flyweights with the hole are lighter and will require more rpm to push clutch shoe to clutch bell (more spool up ) three pin flywheel the flyweights swing out and 4 pin they slide out. The three pin allows you to dial in more gap without losing flyweights.

bigtee 01-27-2011 04:05 AM

centax

so what better the flyweights with holes or the fly weight with out and same for the flywheel three pin or four pin mugens flywheel has four pins

bigtee 01-27-2011 04:13 AM

centax

the reason why i'am asking, i'am trying to setup my clutch on my mtx4r that i brought from someone and the clutch had flyweights without the holes and the mtx4r manual has the flyweights with the holes and a four pin flywheel

Roelof 01-27-2011 05:41 AM

The 4-pin clutch has flyweights without holes and has optional lightened flyweights with 2 holes. The lighter the flyweight the more agressive the clutch will become.

The newer 3-pin clutches has always a flyweight placed over the pin, if you do see the MRX5 clutch you have an example and you can cut a normal shoe to such flyweights. You can cut the 4-pin black clutch shoe so you have 4 flyweights with an hole at one side, this will make the 4-pin clutch an awesome clutch.

Phil Trotta 01-27-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by bigtee (Post 8555096)
the reason why i'am asking, i'am trying to setup my clutch on my mtx4r that i brought from someone and the clutch had flyweights without the holes and the mtx4r manual has the flyweights with the holes and a four pin flywheel

I used to use the optional flyweights with the holes drilled out to 4 mm with the mugen red shoe and msr spring. Worked well the Orion spring is even better .......... The shepherd spring is probably the best / longest lasting ... I used a .7 to . 8 mm gap and set spring tension on the track. If track is loose the grey shoe may work better for you. If you set spring tension too loose clutch shoe will dust. Good luck