R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Newbie's second car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/475559-newbies-second-car.html)

omegaf 01-26-2011 03:44 PM

Newbie's second car

So time for my second car :lol:
Budget at the moment is no concern. I built my first electric car to get a flavour of the building process and I gotta say I was let down because it was simple and easy. I didn't really learn anything. I didn't even need the manual to assemble the drivetrain. But then again I got mechanical engineering background so I got the advantage of instantly recognising key parts.

So the battle is between Velox V10 and Capricon Lab-c01. I love those two just from the looks alone. As stated previously in other threads I am no racer so spare parts for repairs after crashes are not exactly a high priority. My guess is that it will sit on a shelf for at least a couple of years ahead. However I do want it ready to run so I will build the whole thing now.

What do people recommend from experience or from rumors? Or maybe I should wait for the new Mugen?
Also, what would be a seriously underpowered engine to use so that I can safely drive it around without slamming it to the first wall in the proximity?
And last but not least, where can I get a tire set that has the different width wheels? I mean the ones that are wider for the rear wheels and narrower in the front? Or is that for 1/8 scale only?

Bonus question: Can I install one of those wheel sets on my electric car or is the foam tire only used for nitro?

By the way, I am in London and I know nothing about the local r/c community but if someone can introduce me to nitro racing I will consider joining.

CHRISP76 01-26-2011 08:03 PM

Both the Sheperd and the Capricorn are good cars. I use all Novarossi engines in 1/8 scale and you could get a standard Novarossi .12.

Wide 1/8 scale wheels will definitely not fit on a 1/10.

omegaf 01-26-2011 08:07 PM

:lol:
Not overpowered engine, i need an underpowered one. Like extremely weak and slow so that i can learn to drive it without a spectacular crash that totals it.

i have checked novarossi engines and they are around 1.68hp for 1/10. i was thinking something around 1hp would be great for me. Or do i just get a normal engine and run it rich so that it doesn't rev high?

Riketsu 01-26-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by omegaf (Post 8553843)
:lol:
Not overpowered engine, i need an underpowered one. Like extremely weak and slow so that i can learn to drive it without a spectacular crash that totals it.

i have checked novarossi engines and they are around 1.68hp for 1/10. i was thinking something around 1hp would be great for me. Or do i just get a normal engine and run it rich so that it doesn't rev high?

RB TJ10 (Junior) will be perfect... Less than $200, and has decent speed, but not ballistic speed.

omegaf 01-26-2011 08:23 PM

any way of controlling the top rpm on these engines? maybe let it run full blast but limit it to half the rpm range? yes, i am thinking rev limiter concept from the big engines :sweat:

CHRISP76 01-26-2011 08:54 PM

you can adjust the throttle travel n the radio or run a little richer.

DJ_Shakespear 01-26-2011 08:55 PM

Dont believe the HP ratings from engine manufacturers - they are rubbish.
Most .12s do put out around the 1 HP mark according to the X-Dyno last I heard.
A Novarossi N12 (or similar name) is a great engine - not too powerful, but excellent quality.
The T10 Junior is also fantastic, almost like the Touring 10 only powered down I think :lol:
Either of the 2 are good for semi-beginners.

As for the rev limiter, I wouldn't have a clue apart from using the smallest possible venturi inside the carb to keep the power and revs lower than they can be.
If you want a good but slow engine, consider one of the STS engines - I've heard they are great, but I have no clue on power.

omegaf 01-26-2011 08:55 PM

ah cool. if i can have max throttle adjustment then there is no reason to skimp on the engine. :D

CHRISP76 01-26-2011 08:58 PM

That would be the way to go I reckon, that way when you're more confident you can just adjust the throttle travel again and not have to buy another engine.

jas1 01-27-2011 10:21 AM

Your best bet for tyres body shells ect is probably gona be rc-direct.co.uk, Andy should be able to sort you out with what ever you need. Tyres are 26mm fronts 30mm rear, also in uk we run a gt class, tyre are a little wider at 30mm front and 40mm rear and run group c type bodys too.
As for limiting the rpm on ya motor, just run it rich, loads a smoke it'll be dog slow, sorted.

omegaf 01-27-2011 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I don't know the first thing about all those classes.
I just know I got a 1/10 electric for now and I am split between the capricorn and the velox v10 for my second car.

I think i might wait a little bit to see if there is anything new out soon. I heard a new mugen 1/10 is expected and also an updated version of the velox v10.

omegaf 01-28-2011 03:20 PM

I just checked out with a Capricorn C01 :blush:
Should be with me next week hopefully. I also got a set of 30mm and 26mm tires for it.
No engine yet because I don't know what to buy. I will make thread in the appropriate section for that.

DS Motorsport 01-28-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by omegaf (Post 8563318)
Should be with me next week hopefully. I also got a set of 30mm and 26mm tires for it.
No engine yet because I don't know what to buy. I will make thread in the appropriate section for that.

Congratulations, you won't regret it. :)
The tires are very nice as well.

If you run into any issues during the build contact me by PM (can also PM you my mail address if you want) and I will help you out asap. :nod:

The Novarossi TS-1 is a very nice affordable engine, it's the most basic motor Novarossi sells but still has the Nova quality.
It's the engine for a beginner if you ask me.

omegaf 01-28-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks. This is my first nitro so I got no idea what to expect. I only got into the world of r/c last week with my first car. It is a TT-01E and I love it so much that I even bought a set of upgrades for it :p

I found it easy to assemble the electric but I expect the nitro to be more of a challenge.
I will get a decent engine for it eventually but I want to have the chassis ready first before I spend more. Besides, I don't have any tools for the engine so I will need glow plugs and fuel and whatever other things I might need.
I don't even know if the engines come with a carb or what exhaust i will need to buy :sweat:

CHRISP76 01-28-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by omegaf (Post 8563318)

Good on ya mate. Novarossi all the way!! Also, you must try and get into racing, it is very rewarding. These beasts can't just sit on a shelf. Can be very frustrating but definitely rewarding!!

Keep us posted...