R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default one way

my car pushes alot when i try to turn. will a one way give me more steering?
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default Beginner

Hi I am a beginner, I hear someone saying that if the track small and with tight corner we should use front diff. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default One way

Yes a one way will give you more steering, I myself have never liked a front diff, too much push. You do have to be careful on the brakes with a one way though.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If your track has tight corners or spots where you need to brake hard to make the corners, then the diff will be better. The brakes don't work on the front wheels with a one way. If it's open and you can let off and coast into the turns then the one way is best.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Since you guys are on the subject, I have a question for you, have any of you guys ever tried a oneway and a solid rear diff on short tracks with flowing corners that a oneway works well on. I know the 1/8 cars use them, just wondering about 10th, seems nobody in my area has even tried it. Thanks BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
Since you guys are on the subject, I have a question for you, have any of you guys ever tried a oneway and a solid rear diff on short tracks with flowing corners that a oneway works well on. I know the 1/8 cars use them, just wondering about 10th, seems nobody in my area has even tried it. Thanks BB
I tried it a couple of times with the Yokomo. Found it very slow even on short flowing tracks with a TC Shell. Stick on a Lola shell however and its a different story.

With a TC Shell I prefered running solid front and rear. Drives great and once set up right the car will run on rails and react as you want it (Fast in and out of the corners).
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

One-way is the stuff for the right situations.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
Tech Addict

sorry to sound stupid but what is a solid diff? is that a gear diff,with planetary gears?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sean
sorry to sound stupid but what is a solid diff? is that a gear diff,with planetary gears?
A solid diff isn't a gear diff.
It's a solid spool (solid axle) that doesn't have any diff action.

Last edited by PSI Racing; 08-12-2004 at 05:16 PM.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
Tech Addict

i would imagine a spool would have a lot of fron traction and steering-but i would also guess that it eats tires-am i right?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
i would imagine a spool would have a lot of fron traction and steering-but i would also guess that it eats tires-am i right?
It really depends on the surface you are running on. At our track the tire wear is really minimal regardless whether it is a spool, diff or one-way. 4 qualifiers and a 30min final with max 1.5mm wear on the outside rear using 40 shore front and 37 rear.

on a track that is more abrasive it will give slightly more tire wear but not excessive enough not to bother with it.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #12
Tech Addict

let me just get to my question-i dont do any organized racing(not yet),mostly just bashing on asphault lots. its pretty smooth,no dust or sand-but my car pushes alot and i wanted more aggressive steering and front traction-what is the best bet-stock diffs,one way,spool or some other combination?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
let me just get to my question-i dont do any organized racing(not yet),mostly just bashing on asphault lots. its pretty smooth,no dust or sand-but my car pushes alot and i wanted more aggressive steering and front traction-what is the best bet-stock diffs,one way,spool or some other combination?
Possibly none of these will be the problem. Have you tried playing with different springs, tire shores etc or adjusting the camber, caster and toe on the suspension geometry. These will have a far bigger effect than changing the front diff etc...
Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #14
Tech Addict

i am waiting for my new chassis and shaft(bad wreck) but i am going to try those things. my only expierience is with 1/12 pan cars-new to nitro.i just trying to get an idea about my options. i dont have the benefit of being able to ask guys at the track-there is no track. thank you for the reply i will try softer springs up front next.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
Tech Master

Using silicone diff oils in your front diff would also help a lot. This gives you somthing in between a free diff and a oneway/spool in the front. It would probably help if you told us what car you have and how its currently set up.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote