R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #691
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to R8R_Nation

LOL...thanks for catching that slip-up...lol. I was thinking of .12 series of motors that OS recently released. But that turbo .21 you linked to is the one that will be going in my chassis once it's purchased.

Question: When purchasing your XR8 or XR80's have you all ever had the LHS people try to talk you into the higher priced cars? I went into a shop Monday, just to take a look at the XR80 and get an idea of the build quality and the guy behind the counter all but refused to show it to me...lol. All he wanted to do was push the new Mugen 1/8. Even when I told him I was comparing models and want to look at the XR80 as a reference for the XR8, he was still pushing the Mugen. Finally he relented and showed me the XR80 but has nothing (positive or negative) to say about it. Needless to say, when I purchase my XR8 it will not be from these guys.
R8R_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Yeah some of the LHS guys wanna make that $$. Then again though out of the box the other cars really are better. The XR8 is a good way to get into 8th onroad though.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #693
Tech Elite

Sorry Roger, didn't know.

Looking at the 80 does not give a very good picture of what the 8 is like. While the parts are interchangeable, the 80 is a very different beast.

While the Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent etc. cars are more expensive, that doesn't mean they are more proffitable for the store to sell. The attitude of the guy at you LHS was likely based on prejudice or ignorance. The one thing that is better with those other brands is, a much deeper base of top level input from world class drivers. This has more to do with book set-up than the actual hardware (at least, in this comparison).
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Sorry Roger, didn't know.
No prob Ron. Goodluck. I only wish the best to you. Take care Ron and it was great talking to you on the phone when you called .

Roger Serafin
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #695
Tech Initiate

Sorry to see you go Roger. Your posts were instrumental in my decision to get a 1/8th PRP car.

Did any of you all see the October issue of R/C Car? They have a pretty extensive test of the XR/80. I don't have the mag here with me at work, but I can say they gave the car rave reviews and recommended it, not only for parking lot bashing but as a go introductory racer for people looking to get into 1/8 scale
Old 09-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #696
Tech Elite

Any other racers using the XR8?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #697
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

My friend Bill has one, but he really isn't a top or much of a racer. NO offense or anything, but it's true.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #698
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Our race program is due to finish off the rest of this year's series very soon. In wich case, there are several XR8s and XR80s. There's at least two other 8th scale cars slated to show up and race, an Evolva, and a Mugen. I've heard there are others, but none of them want to run on our "Little" track...

R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #699
Tech Initiate

that's a really nice track you guys run, R40. you'll have to post the results of the races. unfortunately my real vehicle had an unscheduled visit to the machinc and several bills later it was all good again. That (and a new set of golf clubs) has conspired to put the XR8 on hold until the early winter. Not too bad of a thing though, will give me time to research set-up and other aspects of the car.

IMO, until more people start running and winning with these cars, the LHS folks will push the higher price/better known cars. Does anyone know if any Power Racing drivers with be at the Winter Nationals or Great Lakes Challenge? Also, I know they sent a couple od drivers to the worlds, how did they do?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #700
Tech Elite

R40,
Track looks very nice. While it is obviously a bit short of optimal length for 1/8, it wouldn't stop me from running on it. Driver stand looks nice for that size track but why is that guy standing on that little step stool, when he could be up on that stand?
One nice thing about smaller tracks---saves lots of money! No need for expensive engines, less fuel consumption, tires last longer, engines last longer.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #701
Tech Champion

Race results are posted here: http://www.jlapracemanager.com/cgi-b...e=HobbyCentral

I like the size and layout too, but there's a few people who feel like they "Must" fully stretch the legs of their 8th scales. I feel like slowing down and focusing on getting the car through tight curves, teaches you more about control/finesse , and the influence of suspension adjustments. You're absolutly right about the efficiency of it, tires, fuel, ect... I'm right on par with the much more expensive 8th scale cars. Nobody seems to have a dominant car, in fact, I managed the fastest, albeit unrecorded, but the fastest lap on that track. One of the LHS employees was standing next to me, as I was pulling it off. We were both VERY impressed with the car. I was pushing as hard as I could, and I'm very familiar with this track(a couple years and 4 different cars will do that). The average bad ass lap is around 17 seconds. Both the 19t electiric touring class, and the 10th scale nitro class have their best laps in this range. We clocked my 8th scale in at 15 seconds! It has the cornering ability beyond the electric cars, and the speed beyond the 10th scale sedans. I LOVE THIS THING!

Not sure about the specific reason for the little ladder, but I personally drive from the ground. The driver's stand, while nice, and good for viewing the track, moves too much when there's 10 or more drivers up there. I always practice from the ground, so I race from the ground. I think that guy prolly feels a little like I do, and since he's not over 6 feet tall (like me), he needs a little boost to get a good perspective.

We can't wait to finally pull off the last of the series races. All of us are chomping at the bit to get back out there. Unfortunatly, we've had several delays; do to hurricanes, and lost loved ones. There's a very good chance the last race will happen very soon, and I'm certain there will be loads of pics, and maybe some vids. My avatar is of me(silver car) passing the local bad ass(Brian, his is the XXX-S getting passed by my Pro-4 ). We have a few vids, but the camera operator was new to filming races(he's a wedding photographer/video editor). So after the practice run that resulted in my avatar, we should be able to pull off a nice video of all the action out here...wish us luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #702
Suspended

Send a message via MSN to rinkeberg

are the XR8s any good for serious racing?? because we ozzies just got a distributor for these babies over here down under
rinkeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #703
Tech Champion

Read back through this thread, you'll find serveral comparisons of these cars against others of the same class. And as I have experienced first hand, there are very few differences, none of wich are all that important to club level racers, to distinguish them... The bargin the XR80 affords is "Un-Beatable". There's just no way, short of an outdated used car, to beat that price and end up with an 8th scale car...it even comes with a starter, no starter box needed.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #704
Tech Initiate

RINKEGERG

To quote the Oct 2005 issue of R/C Car magazine:
the XR/80 is "as close as you're going to get to a full-race 1/8 scale other then buying one of the high-ends". Also: "with a few changes"(and there a tons of hop-ups available as the XR/80 can use all the XR/8 parts), "the XR/80 can be a world class 1/8 scale."
Old 09-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #705
Tech Elite

Yes, read back a bit. The XR8 is a competition level (any level) kit. Better equipped than the competition for a lot less money.