R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #676
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any word on a replacement motor for the RTR? I just read back through the last few posts and didn't see it mentioned. I thought I'd heard it was around $130.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:33 AM   #677
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

Posting from Messina, Sicily:

Kevin Jelich is 69th, and Josh is 76th overall after the first day of qualifying. Right now it is morning, so the second round is just getting underway. Both drivers are pretty happy with their cars, but could still use a little bit of corner speed. We know the engine is not an issue, because Rody Roem is helping Josh out, and Lamberto Collari came through for Kevin's engine and pipe.

Kevin is going to be trying out some softer tires for the first time today. We hope that will allow the car to get a little bit more all-around bite. Basically the track is very abrasive, with a bit of natural traction. There is no additive on the track at all. Many drivers are running 32's and 35's, some even running 35's on the right side and 32's on the left because of the high-speed left turns. Unfortunately Kevin's been stuck with Jaco 38's the whole time until now. It's not hard to drive, just not fast enough through the tighter parts of the track. The good thing is the surface and weather are very consistent...no "rocket rounds."

The best part is that Kevin and Josh haven't broken anything yet, except a bumper that got bent down when hitting the tricky 90 at the end of the straight! We're replacing belts often, just in case. But that is pretty normal for any car here. Since they are running quite different setups and their performance is similar, that keeps things interesting.

Me (I'm just here for fun, although radio problems have kept that from happening), Kevin, and Josh are the only ones driving the XR/8. There are 67 Mugens, 31 Serpents, 30 Kyoshos, 3 XR/8's, 3 MZ-1's (Picco Speed), and 1 Slide according to a pie graph next to the heat sheets. Giant-killers we aren't! At least not yet anyway.

One of the cool things here is that there is something other than the ubiquitous Lolas being used. Kyosho has a Dome LMP body that is very similar in profile the Protoform Lola, except that it's a two seater with the drivers offset like today's Le Mans cars. I always found it funny that people paint fake headlight things on their Can-Am bodies (the real ones never raced at night, at least when the Lola dominated in 1981)...ah well, I digress.

For all you RTR people reading this: you'd have a heart attack if you saw what people are throwing in the trash-can: one run tires! Here, a 72mm rear tire is basically garbage. Oh well.

Thanks,

-Cameron
Old 09-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #678
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerov
Posting from Messina, Sicily:

<blah>

Thanks,

-Cameron
You 3 are driving a rather unknown car among the big brands and beating about half of them . Did you speak to Roelof? He took some pictures of your cars. There was some discussion about your cars on a dutch forum, so he decided to look you up and have a little chat...
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #679
Tech Elite

Cameron, thanks for the update. Too bad about the radio problems, thought maybe you just 'sucked' . Want me to send you mine? Hope you get that straightened out, radio problems are the worst.
Hey, how about doing some dumpster diving? I could use some 72mm tires.. .
Good luck bumping up through all those mains!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #680
Tech Champion

There's a way to bring costs down, "Pro-Tuned Used Tires"...hehe I'd dumpster dive for things that would normally cost around $35 a set...but I'm more likely to just ask the "Pros" to "Donate" their leftovers...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #681
Tech Champion

Quick question for you guys at Power Racing. What's selling better so far, the XR80, or the kit XR8?(I mean overall, locally and abroad) Around here, there's mostly RTRs(much cheaper that way). Seems like 8th scale is big in the midwest, hopefully the XR80 will bring new 8th scalers to this area...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #682
Tech Regular

the prp cars are far the best selection if one has never been in 1/8th. rtr. is the easiest and most cost efficient to jump into the sport. one can all ways up grade as easily as buy a more expensive brand.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 AM   #683
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

Well, in case anyone hasn't read the Worlds thread, qualifying is over. Josh and Kevin are around 75th position overall, with only a tenth between them. It's kind of funny, almost every big race they go to, they end up qualifying like that...even half a world away from the U.S. Both of them improved their times, but not enough to gain a lot of positions.

We'll have a setup from Kevin's car soon. Believe it or not, it is mostly stock with a couple of upgrades that anyone can get. The biggest change to the car has been to raise the rear roll center by moving the inner lower hingepins up a few mm. This allows the car to pivot in the tighter corners. I'm hoping we can have this out as an upgrade (right now the parts are handmade) by the end of the year.

Mains are in a few hours, hopefully we can bump up!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #684
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to R8R_Nation

For you all running the Power Racing cars at your local clubs/tracks, how are they doing? I am planning on purchasing the XB8 and an OS .21 so that I can run at my local track. (Going to use the mild VA winter to practice and get accoustomed to the car).

I read the review on this months R/C car magazine of the XR/80 and it appears that the editors were impressed. And that's the rtr version.

On a side note, Power Racing needs to get out the word on there results in major events like the Worlds, GLC, etc. It would do a lot to energize the LHS to carry the product.

Just my 2 cents
R8R_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #685
Tech Champion

I have the RTR, and am very pleased, as it has made an excelent addition to my fleet(7 cars of various classes, on and off road). There are several around my local track, most of wich are specifically for racing. As little track time as we've had with them, we're very impressed, considering the price difference between them and the closest competitor(if you wanna call them that ) Unfortunately, due to a series of natural disasters, we haven't held a race in months. Hopefully, nature will give a chance to get our race program going again, and we can really wring these things out. So far, I love it, everything I'd hoped for in and 8th scale car.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #686
Tech Elite

R8R nation, The XR8 is better equipped & less expensive than the competition. It IS capable of winning at any level. It has plenty of adjustments to dial it in to any driving style or track condition. Plenty of hop-ups available and more on the way. Durability is on a par with all the others. I am doing well with it & doubt that I would fair any better with a different car (had an Evolva before this car).
Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #687
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to R8R_Nation

Thanks for the info, Duneland. I am definately getting one, the XR8. Going to be my winter project to build and train with it. What motor are your running? I have become a big fan of the OS engines and the OS .21 TZ is looking like the choice for me.

Also, how did you find the instructions? Well laid-out? I notice on their site, they do not give the option of allowing you to download them. That's cool, they're new so I'm sure it will take a moment or two to get the website up to snuff.

For Dune and all the other XR8 racers, where are you guys racing (clubs, etc) and how are you doing against the other 1/8's?
R8R_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #688
Tech Elite

I race the midwest series events. I think I am the only one running the PRP car. It looks as though the series championship for Masters (45 yrs old and up), will be between myself and 4 or 5 other guys. I am sure it will be determined by the last race in Cincinati. I have been running the Cipolla competition on-road engine. It is a lesser know Italian engine that retails for $214.95. I have a new Rossi LS1 to try out in Toledo this weekend.
The manual has very little in the way of dialogue, but has easy to understand pictures for each step. Assembly is quite easy. Since it is a winter project, I recomend polishing all hinge pins & pivot balls before assembly (same goes for any kit). Also, take the time to make sure the arms move with complete freedom. It most likely will not need much work, but take the time to free-up anything that seems a bit bound up. Not much in the way of set-up was included with my kit. I can send you a set-up sheet with my current set-up (it has evolved through-out the season). I am sure Roger or Cameron would do likewise. You should probably get the yellow springs when you get the car. They are stiffer than the grey ones included with the kit, and will be more suited to high grip track conditions. Use the grey ones on un-pre-paired surfaces.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

THere is no .21TZ lol. It's the .21 VZ-R Turbo. It runs really nice. That what my friend ran in his XR8 Kit.
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2072.html
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #690
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
I am sure Roger or Cameron would do likewise.
Im no longer with PRP.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote