Tech Apprentice

will this work for my steering..

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/HS5998TG.htm
epicbloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #648
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

200oz of torque? Yeah I'd say thats plenty LOL! I have a hitec 945MG throttle and JR servo on my 8th that has like 130oz torque and .17 transit time. The Hi is a bit faster though with even more torque. I really like it.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #649
Tech Apprentice

every one is buzzing about this new 960 from serpent.. coming next month...whats the difference between the sepent 960 and the xr8 they look the same, i know about price....please give me your unbias answers...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #650
Tech Elite

Forget that servo! It is WAY too slow for steering on anything, ESPECIALLY 1/8 on-road. You don't need more than 100 oz of torque, but it doesn't hurt to have more. Speed needs to be .13 sec or better. Under .10 is preferred. A slower servo does not make it easier to drive a responsive car, it does the opposite.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #651
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"every one is buzzing about this new 960 from serpent.. coming next month...whats the difference between the sepent 960 and the xr8 they look the same, i know about price....please give me your unbias answers..."

I would say the biggest difference is initial cost. I don't know about support afterwards, as in repair/support parts costs. They may be close, and if you can get the parts locally, then that should prolly be a deciding factor.
As far as comparison, I sat my XR80 right next to an Evolva, and they were very similar. All the 8th scale cars I've seen have a very similar layout. Mine handles great, and I've gone up against an older mugen as well as a kit XR8, and another XR80. They all seem to be in the ballpark, but, we have a relatively small track. If you look further back in this thread, there's posts about it doing well in a few bigger races. I've been very pleased with mine...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #652
Tech Apprentice

Great servo conversation.

I'm having a little challenge and want some confirmation on what i think it is.

The engine is reving high, and not catching the clutch bell. What would cause that?

Is it because the retaining spacer is to far, or what?

Help is needed.

Thanks.

KLS
Darthswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #653
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

My servo is .17transit time but how I drive and the track it seems to work just fine. Otherwise later on I'll switch the hitec for steering and Jr for throttle.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #654
Tech Champion

If you end up with a really strong servo with a slow transit time, then use a really long servo arm. Right now, my 650 in the XR80 feels too sensative, I may even dial out some of the sensativity with some expo...

Darthswan, wich clutch are you using?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #655
Tech Elite

darthswan
If you could stop by the store, I could fix you up pretty fast. But, I know traffic can be a bitch between here and there. If I am not mistaken, you are using a XR8 with the centax style clutch? If so, use the silver spring. It should have come with 3 springs--silver is the softest of the 3. I found the other 2 to be to stiff and would not properly engage. With silver spring, adjust nut to reveal approx .5mm of the clutch nut. Set shims on the thrust bearing holder to allow .3mm-.7mm of end play [amount of movement of the clutchbell after assembly(in and out)]. Fine tune the engagement point on the track by making adjustments to the nut....tighten to engage later or loosen to engage sooner.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 PM   #656
Tech Champion

I'm sure you guys read the "8th Scale Popularity" post. They keep arguing about little things, when really it should be about lowering costs. I'm familiar with the "Elitest" theory, keep it like it is because it limits the race-wrecking noobs, and these are really fast cars, but if it keeps going like it is, they'll go the way of the 235 classes.... The reason I'm posting here is to ask a question. How much is a replacement motor for the XR80? I mean the stock, black headed, 9 port, shaft started 27 that I've come to enjoy running. With a total price of under $400 for the entire RTR, they can't be all that expensive...

I feel like the XR80 is exactly what this class needs, a more efficient way in. Really, 8th scale should be a step up from 10th, and that's how I did it. But if not for the XR80, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't like used cars, and couldn't stomach a $300 motor, for any scale. I tried explaining what these cars could do for the class, but I think these guys are just stuck on having something exotic/expensive, like a Mugen or Serpant.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #657
Tech Apprentice

^^^^
amen brother..

i just got into these 8th scales because it was less expensive, power racer hasnt been out long enuff i guess, people just feel more comfortable knowing that if it cost a whole hell of alot then its the best, surely thats not the case..i just hope more people get into the larger scale races and show up in the top 1-5 thats the only way things will change, try going over to there forum and tell them that you perfer to run a xr8 they dont even respond back to you, they call the xr8 some kind of bootleg-clone wanna be, all of those cars look the same if you ask me..
Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
I'm sure you guys read the "8th Scale Popularity" post. They keep arguing about little things, when really it should be about lowering costs. I'm familiar with the "Elitest" theory, keep it like it is because it limits the race-wrecking noobs, and these are really fast cars, but if it keeps going like it is, they'll go the way of the 235 classes.... The reason I'm posting here is to ask a question. How much is a replacement motor for the XR80? I mean the stock, black headed, 9 port, shaft started 27 that I've come to enjoy running. With a total price of under $400 for the entire RTR, they can't be all that expensive...

I feel like the XR80 is exactly what this class needs, a more efficient way in. Really, 8th scale should be a step up from 10th, and that's how I did it. But if not for the XR80, I wouldn't have bothered. I don't like used cars, and couldn't stomach a $300 motor, for any scale. I tried explaining what these cars could do for the class, but I think these guys are just stuck on having something exotic/expensive, like a Mugen or Serpant.
An RTR package maybe the long term goal of a "SPEC" class...Problem is when only one manufacturer is producing the vechicle, the interest is limited. I forget who produces the XR80, but if the manufcturer steps-up and sponsors a series of events throughout the US and worldwide, and it gains popolarity, perhaps other manufacturers will follow with something similar...but we the racers have no control on this.

The other problem is no one leaves well enough alone...every XR80 that I've seen is upgraded immediately...its either the radio or engine. The box stock car never makes its way to the track for very long...(Raul Garcia's XR80 was far from stock when he showed at the track to race)

Now if someone produced a rolling chassis / engine / pipe config...and all you need is your radio....that would be something.

Were not stuck with the exotics...we all have them and are looking for ways to reduce the cost of what's now been raced throughout the US.

I'm curious, what are you going to do when the engine needs replacing...under the "SPEC" class proposal you can pick-up a really good 5-port engine for less than $250....Has anyone gotten back to you with a price for the replacement cost of the XR80??? According to my LHS, the price is comparable to other name brand engines
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #659
Tech Elite

Replacement cost for the Infinity .27 (stock engine on the XR80) is around $130. I have sold them before, but don't remember the exact price, but that should be in the ball park.

I thought Raul was running the XR8?

R40, I think you are right about the eliteist attitude... It is just that they have been running these cars for quite a while, and are used to spending so much, that anything as inexpensive as the XR80 or even the XR8, must be crap! They will come around (maybe). Many of the guys I race with are surprised when they find out what I am running.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #660
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Replacement cost for the Infinity .27 (stock engine on the XR80) is around $130. I have sold them before, but don't remember the exact price, but that should be in the ball park.

I thought Raul was running the XR8?

R40, I think you are right about the eliteist attitude... It is just that they have been running these cars for quite a while, and are used to spending so much, that anything as inexpensive as the XR80 or even the XR8, must be crap! They will come around (maybe). Many of the guys I race with are surprised when they find out what I am running.
Aren't the chassis the same? If not my bad