R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #586
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"Took it out tonight, I'm impressed, it shoots like a rocket. Matter of fact, so well, 2 of the clutch shoes came out. Interesting never heard about it before. What would cause just 2 shoes to come out?

My O.S. screams.

Something else that happened. The bearing inside the clutch bell self destructed. Any tips to prevent self destructing?

While running the car today, I couldn't get the car to jump into 2nd gear. Any words of encouragement?

Has anyone changed the gears, and if so, what were your results?

Thanks for everything."

I'm not sure why only 2 of the shoes would come out, but when you say the bearing self destructed, it made me wonder if you got everything tight enough in there. Did you use LockTite?

Congrats on the O.S., I've loved every one I've owned...

If it won't hit second, and you're sure it's starting in first, then loosen the adjustment screws in the tranny. It may not have been shifting because of the clutch not enguaging correctly.

I'm still running the stock gears that came with the RTR. They seem a little tall for our track, and the optional gears are all even higher/taller/faster...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #587
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim

I'm not sure why only 2 of the shoes would come out, but when you say the bearing self destructed, it made me wonder if you got everything tight enough in there. Did you use LockTite?

Congrats on the O.S., I've loved every one I've owned...

If it won't hit second, and you're sure it's starting in first, then loosen the adjustment screws in the tranny. It may not have been shifting because of the clutch not enguaging correctly.

I'm still running the stock gears that came with the RTR. They seem a little tall for our track, and the optional gears are all even higher/taller/faster...
I can't figure it out for the world. When I got it in last night 2 of the shoes were missing. Wish you could have seen the look on my face. I don't know, all I do know is I have 2 missing and I have to purchase 2 more.

And for the bearings side to just come off, wow. Does a nice layer of grease need to be on that bearing. Looking at the directions, man i hate these directions, it looks like their should be 2 bearings under the clutch bell, is this correct?

How do I go about making sure it is either running in first or second? When I fired it up yesterday, and gave it some gas it shot off like it was nothing. I can't wait to get this car up and running with no problems so I can get it clocked by friend who is a police officer.

The joys of getting things to work.

Thanks for everything.
K
Darthswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #588
Tech Champion

In order for the shoes to come out, the space between the flywheel and the end bell has to be big enough for them to slip out. Not sure what's loose, but that's what it would take.

The clutch goes together much like the one in my R40, and I would tell you to download and look at those directions, but they really aren't that much better. If anyone has a link to a site with a better description of how the centax style clutch works, that would be very helpful to Darthswan...

If it shoots off the line, but then sounds like the engine is reving way too high, but it still isn't going very fast, then you prbably are stuck in first. In that case, loosen the adjustment screws in the tranny.

I've had all the joys of getting things to work since I could lift a screwdriver. Cars, boats, and then RC cars, boats, and airplanes, have all been "fun" to get them working corectly. Seems though I chose a different career path, I'm doomed to repair everything!....but I enjoy it. The sense of accomplishment is well worth the effort. Hope I helped you out, or at least pointed you in the right direction...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #589
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
In order for the shoes to come out, the space between the flywheel and the end bell has to be big enough for them to slip out. Not sure what's loose, but that's what it would take.

The clutch goes together much like the one in my R40, and I would tell you to download and look at those directions, but they really aren't that much better. If anyone has a link to a site with a better description of how the centax style clutch works, that would be very helpful to Darthswan...

If it shoots off the line, but then sounds like the engine is reving way too high, but it still isn't going very fast, then you prbably are stuck in first. In that case, loosen the adjustment screws in the tranny.

I've had all the joys of getting things to work since I could lift a screwdriver. Cars, boats, and then RC cars, boats, and airplanes, have all been "fun" to get them working corectly. Seems though I chose a different career path, I'm doomed to repair everything!....but I enjoy it. The sense of accomplishment is well worth the effort. Hope I helped you out, or at least pointed you in the right direction...
Thanks for everything, next time you all are in the Chicagoland area, drinks on me. Both you and Roger.

It shoots of the line and takes off. Would that mean that it is stuck in second gear?

Those shoes baffle the hell out of me. I'm going out of town this weekend so my parts should be here by next weekend so I can get this car back up and running.

Any word on the bearing inside of the clutch bell. When I get some time later, i'm going to take a picture and post it so you can see what i'm talking about.

You all have helped so much, THANKS.

K
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #590
Tech Champion

If it shoots off the line, and you don't hear it shift, then it's likely stuck in 1st. In that case, loosen the adjustment screws in the tranny. Try going a few turns on each side, make sure they're the same(If one's out further than the other you get problems) If you aren't sure they're the smae, just screw them tight all the way, and back them out the same amount of turns. There's no way to know exactly how many turns out you'll need. You'll just have to start with 6-8, and adjust it from there.

Take pics of the clutch, we'll see if we can identify your problem...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #591
Tech Elite

Darthswan, If you get a chance, you can stop by my store and I will get you all set-up. Since you are in the Chicago area, I am not too far away (depending on traffic). I have many Illinois customers & friends that stop in frequently for parts & help.
I may be at Tinley park this Sunday & am thinking of going to AJ's/IRP in Dekalb the following weekend. I will definately be at the Chicago MWS later in the month.
Otherwise, I am here; Duneland Hobbies, 2556 Portage Mall, Portage, IN.
219-763-1610, www.dunelandhobbies.com.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 2 speed adjustment

You should hear your two-speed shift when you are driving the car. if you don't, your car is either shifting too early, or not shifting at all. There are 2 screws used for the shift point adjustment, both need to be checked. Note that the adjustment screws are off-center from the two-speed shoes. Turn both of these screw counterclockwise to make your car shift sooner, this takes tension off of the springs. Turn them clockwise to make the car shift later. ONLY make 1/8 of a turn for each adjustment at a time. The two large setscrews usually do not need to be adjusted, they are for changing the " hardness " of the shift. To get your car in the ballpark, turn both adjustment screws all the way down and backout ( counterclockwise ) 3 turns out. From that point, follow these instructions until you get your shift point dialed in. Hope this helps.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #593
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Darthswan, If you get a chance, you can stop by my store and I will get you all set-up. Since you are in the Chicago area, I am not too far away (depending on traffic). I have many Illinois customers & friends that stop in frequently for parts & help.
I may be at Tinley park this Sunday & am thinking of going to AJ's/IRP in Dekalb the following weekend. I will definately be at the Chicago MWS later in the month.
Otherwise, I am here; Duneland Hobbies, 2556 Portage Mall, Portage, IN.
219-763-1610, www.dunelandhobbies.com.
I'm going to attempt to stop by there on my way to Detroit. I'll be going to Detroit, i'm sorry Troy, for a family reunion. Who Should I ask for? Sweet I'll be taking my other car. O I know she is going to talk about me now. Thanks for everything.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #594
Tech Elite

Ask for Ron.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #595
Tech Champion

Well, I finally got to drive my XR80 again. With the new DX3 installed, it was 100% glitch free. I managed to squeeze off 3 tanks of fuel before the servo cap came off and it got too dang hot out there. I'm very impressed with the system, places where my FM radios would have issues, this system was rock solid!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #596
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Ask for Ron.
Sorry I couldn't stop by. I missed the exit and you all are closed on sundays. I'm going to see what the wife is feeling like and we might make a trip out there today. We're both sick *cough**cough*
Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #597
Tech Elite

I am usually open on Sunday, but I decided to go race at Tinely Park. I leave it as an 'optional' day on my schedule.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #598
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I am usually open on Sunday, but I decided to go race at Tinely Park. I leave it as an 'optional' day on my schedule.
Ron,

Do you also have replacement part for the XR/8, in particular, the bearings?

And directions to your shop, coming down I 80, not happy with mapquest or google.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #599
Tech Apprentice

What are the dimensions of the 2 bearings inside the clutch bell? Thanks. Is that universal?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #600
Tech Apprentice

Found the bearings, didn't look good enough in the bearing box. I forgot to order my clutch shoes when I lost the other 2. They don't do much with 2 shoes in them. They are being ordered now. I'll keep you updated, might pick up my radio tomorrow, we'll see.

K