R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #526
Tech Apprentice

Default Stiff Flywheeel?

Trying to start the engine and the flywheel is very stiff. The engine is the O.S. .21 VZ-R Turbo II w/20K Carb. The great guys at prp sent out the collet for it. Now It is difficult to turn the flywheel. Any ideas?

K
Darthswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #527
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like it's binding...is it still stiff with the clutch assembly removed? If so, that collet may be rubbing against the engine block, or not pushing it far enough out. You may have to put spacers behind it, move it further from the block...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #528
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthswan
Trying to start the engine and the flywheel is very stiff. The engine is the O.S. .21 VZ-R Turbo II w/20K Carb. The great guys at prp sent out the collet for it. Now It is difficult to turn the flywheel. Any ideas?

K
I run the OS VZ-R VII also, and yes there is some spacing, and shaving you must do to the whole assembly. First I shaved the collet for the flywheel to lower the clutch assembly to the flywheel(shave from the top, not the bottom. Then, I scouted for Team Magic G4 clutch shims. They are very tiny, I dont know what other manufacture uses them, but the fit inside of the bearing/thrustbearing assembly. What happens is that the pilot for the thrust bearing doesnt seat onto the engine shaft, so it crushes the thrust assembly. these SMALL spacers take up the space between the pilot and the crank. I hope this helps. BTW, the OS engine ROCKS!!!!!
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Happy 4th of July

Whats up gang. I just wanted to tell you guys to have a fun and safe 4th of July weekend. And for Raul, I have a nice cold one for you on that day .
Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #530
Tech Champion

Default cold one

SAAAAAWWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!! Happy Fourth every one..
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

Old 07-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #531
Tech Elite

After-race check shows no sign of premature wear. Rest of season will be without the Evolva as back-up. Looking forward to next race in Detroit. This car rocks!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #532
Tech Apprentice

Raul,

What did you use as a spacer?

K
Old 07-02-2005, 01:25 AM   #533
Tech Apprentice

I was sent a new collett, do you have a new one or old one?

K
Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #534
Tech Champion

Default spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthswan
Raul,

What did you use as a spacer?

K
WHere is this "spacer" located. ??

Old 07-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #535
Tech Elite

One thing you should do to both the 8 & the 80 is; dremel away some material on the top-inside of the rear brace/pin holder. The opening on the bottom of the chassis is fairly large & that brace will capture anything that might find its way in there. I know you should not run this car on surfaces with debris... but, if you do... opening up that space between the belt & the rear pin holder will allow debris to exit without harm to belt. Or, at least, minimize any dammage.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #536
Tech Champion

Default another day

Well guys, against better judgement I went racing yesterday. I had a opportunity to test some changes, but with NO track time in practice, my racing was practice. Let see where do I start.
First let me say the car was AWESOME... Time were as fast as the fastest guys, but those barriers got the best of me in two qual's during warm-up, first popping a rear hub, second a r/f bulkhead. The second one also took out my servo. So back to the pits I went for a rebuild, and come to find out the club chose to run 2 qual's instead of 3. Shucks! Now I am on the bottom of the E Main, with only the hope to bump....
Well after the mains were posted, they opened the track for practice. Let me tell you, this car was hooked. The harder I pushed the car, the faster it drove. And I didnt break anything... With the big SH&% eating grin on my face, I went back to the pits, to charge my batt's. Now I am trying to experiment with Li-Poly's, working great for the transmitter, but not so good for the receiver with a Spectrum. Were do I start.... Start of the race, from dead last, by the end of the first lap, I was in first. 7 mins down I was in first, 7:10 down I was off the track, switch shut off, the car was still runnning at idle,thanks for the spectrum on that one. back on the track, 9mins down, the batts start to crap out. I felt it but didnt make anything of it, so I went half a lap, approached the straight and off I went like a Boeing 747 down the runway... right into the outside wall protection, cement filled tires(OUCH). Now, I know what your are thinking, I should have turned right? Well I did, but the car didnt... I dont know if it is electrical failure, or a another servo failure, but it was a failure.!! The list of busticated parts is extensive, engine block, pipe and header, bulkhead, something in the clutch, two rims, and this is just a glance. The car is easily repairable, I have all of the parts, excluding the block, but just frustrating... Again this is not a Car error, or part failure. My car was hooked, and wicked fast. I have a electrical gremling in my steering that I cant put my finger on yet. But I will.
My changes to the car, were these.
I spaced the camber link up 5mm off of the rear hub, drilling a hole through the hub to the face of the bearing so there is enough material for a longer screw to fit.
Moved the body brace arches out to the outer hole,
strecthed the front arms out, frt caster was one smal and one medium shim in frt of the arm, two big on the rear. 60 wt oil frt and rear, CNC'd arms, steel clutchbell. I think that is it for now... I ll keep you all posted.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #537
Tech Elite

Raul, what LiPos did you find that fit? I tried every source I could & nothing that would fit without modifications. I ended up using AAA's. By the way, I use spektrum also. Had LiPos in my Evolva with Novak sevo booster (voltage reg), no problems. Also had no problems with my spektrum in the XR8 (yet).
That's a tragic tale, I hope you find the source of your problem. Have you had your Spektrum updated?
How wide did you run the front-end? Which body? I was running the PRP body, but am having a Serpent body painted. The serpent is quite a bit wider up front.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #538
Tech Rookie

Default 2 xr/80 videos

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=60250

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=59524

Here are 2 videos,If some of you guys haven't seen them run yet..
We are just parking lot bashers,Not pros,but we love high speed fun..
HobieHernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #539
Tech Champion

Default lipoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
Raul, what LiPos did you find that fit? I tried every source I could & nothing that would fit without modifications. I ended up using AAA's. By the way, I use spektrum also. Had LiPos in my Evolva with Novak sevo booster (voltage reg), no problems. Also had no problems with my spektrum in the XR8 (yet).
That's a tragic tale, I hope you find the source of your problem. Have you had your Spektrum updated?
How wide did you run the front-end? Which body? I was running the PRP body, but am having a Serpent body painted. The serpent is quite a bit wider up front.
Well the cell that I am using for the receiver are from Great planes. I am not sure of the part # but it is 2cell, and fits right in the tray, it is I think 1300mah. But the discharge rates are very different than the standard AAA's. In my helios with the spectrum they are awesome, but cant seem to find the right combo on the car side. What setup are you looking for on the frt, caster, camber, wheelbase, shock setup/angle, tire size, width, pulley size, servo saver,??????? Let me know. If someone can post a editable setup sheet, this would be great. I use only the PRP Lola. Protoform's are exactly the same, serpent bodies are not popular here..

Old 07-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #540
Tech Elite

Raul, the Lipo pack you are talking about is an Electrifly, from Great Planes/Tower. They are discontinued. A friend of mine got one for his Serpent (takes the same size rx pack).
I am not sure what you mean by discharge rates, with respect to LiPo rx packs. The LiPo pack is capable of supplying far more current than the little AAA packs. The voltage is too high(7.4) for most servos. Hence the need for a voltage regulator (Novak servo booster), to bring the voltage down to 6v. I had a 1900 mah 2 cell LiPo in my Evolva (more room on the tray than PRP). Works great.
Was just wondering what width you were running up front.