R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 PM   #451
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Garcia
you will not be dissaponted, and if you need setup help we are here for you...
thanks.. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to be answered...

R40Vicitim: why wait? money, money, money, plus I need to let the dust settle from my last buying spree...
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hear you man, it's easy to burn up the check-book on this hobby...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM   #453
Tech Champion

These cars are so similar to the competition, has anyone tried using parts from the MRX, Serpant, ect? The reason I ask is because the aluminum front bulkheads from the Slide appear identical in the pictures. I assume the added rigidity of the metal componant would aid traction, letting the suspension do what it's supposed to do...any theories?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #454
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I save up for my stuff and get in bulk.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 PM   #455
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I save up for my stuff and get in bulk.
good idea.. I tried buying stuff here and there along with as needed.. the fedex guy showed up so much that if my kids saw one anywhere near the house it was.. "MOM.... dads getting more car parts"
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #456
Tech Champion

"good idea.. I tried buying stuff here and there along with as needed.. the fedex guy showed up so much that if my kids saw one anywhere near the house it was.. "MOM.... dads getting more car parts"

LOL, ah man, I'm spoiled by really good local parts support. I just couldn't wait around for parts; I would have to stock up for racedays...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #457
Tech Champion

Loose/Win situation...the stock RTR clutch broke on raceday. So, I ran into the LHS and picked up a Power Racing Centax style clutch. Wich spring am I supposed to use? I tried one of the black ones first. It would either be too tight, not letting the clutch fully enguage, or I went out too far, and it would lock up,and get stuck enguaged. I went back and forth several times. Then I decided to try one of the other springs, thinking a softer one would let it hook up correctly...nope. So wich one is ideal for the stock RTR engine?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:16 AM   #458
Tech Elite

Centax style clutches can be a pain! I recomend sticking with the 3 shoe off-road style your 80 came with. You can use mugen shoes or OFNA shoes, lots of choices. Save the centax style untill you have the rest of the set-up sorted out. You can waste a lot of valluble track time just trying to get the clutch working right (centax style).
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #459
Tech Champion

I already bought the centax, and have one in my R40. I like it, but you're right, it took some time to get it right. I just need to know wich spring to use. I've tried 2, got frustrated and gave up for the day. It was extremely hot that day, so I decided to wait untill I could play with it in the air conditioned comfort of my home. I had the handling right, it was flying, absolutly balistic. Then I lowered the ride height on the front end...mistake #1, I also messed with the brakes(they were pretty weak), mistake #2. The clutch should be golden once I get it right, and the one on my R40 has been awsome. In fact, I don't remember the last time I adjusted it, and I've had that car for a year and a half...
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #460
Tech Elite

Centaxs are quite easy IMO. I've been using them since I was new to the hobby and they are great if you set them up right. You can't get the tuning of a centax with a standard 3 shoe clutch.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #461
Tech Champion

Yup, like I said, I like the one in my R40, but this one came with 3 spings. The first one was just too stiff, and the softer one in it doesn't seem to be working. The 3rd one is alot stiffer than the other 2, so I know it won't work. I'd like to know wich one I'm "supposed" to use.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #462
Tech Elite

The stiffer the spring, the less turning you'd want to do on the adjuster nut. My MRX4 has a super stiff spring and the adjuster nut is almost flush with the threading on the flywheel nut. It hauls all around. If the spring was softer, you'd have to do some more turning down to get it to the setting you want.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #463
Tech Champion

Right, but so far, I've used the 2 softer springs, and once it is adjusted out enough to enguage, it locks up. When adjusted in enough to clear, it won't engauge fully. I went back and forth 15 times, 10 with the first spring, and at least 5 with the second before I gave up. The 3 must serve a purpose, and it doesn't mention it in the instructions(no wording at all, just a diagram) The clutch didn't come with instructions, I'm using the booklet that came with the RTR, but is specifically for the kit.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #464
Tech Elite

Ah ok. In that case stick with the 3 shoe then.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #465
Tech Champion

This clutch should work, and I'd hate to have waisted $80. I was hoping the guy from Cali distributing these things would chime in and make a suggestion.