R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

As far as what I've seen around, at the track, and reviews of it the XR8 RTR is better than the Menance. It's a true 8th onroad and better quality.

R40- Will do. Gonna try for tomorrow and Wednesday.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #437
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rclab1, I have the XR80 RTR. So far it's been a good car, nothing weird or anoying. The motor that comes with it is a good motor, plenty of speed to get used to 8th scale cars. Unlike the menace, this is a true 8th scale racer, floating rear body mounts, racing suspension, all like the more expensive cars.

I got one of the 1st runs of the cars, and it wasn't assembled with the same TLC I would have put into it. Many of the adjustments were pretty far off, but after a few dial in sessions, I've got it handling very well. My 2 speed was set way wrong, stuck in 2nd. I got it adjusted properly, working perfectly now.

As for upgrades, I won't bother until I get more consistant laps with it. It's fast right now, so upgrades would be moot until I find myself straining to keep up with the pack. I can, however, see a carbon upper deck, shock towers, and a lower C.G. motor mount happening in the next few months. Otherwise, there's really not much to do to it, everything is high performance right out of the box.

I would recomend this car to any experienced 10th scale racer, who wants to get into 8th scale without a second mortgage...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim

I would recomend this car to any experienced 10th scale racer, who wants to get into 8th scale without a second mortgage...
Does that include me? LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #439
Tech Champion

Yup, 8th scale is usually nearly out of reach. If there's one thing that's easy as hell to do in this hobby, it's Spend Money
Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #440
Tech Rookie

There's only 1 thing I can say to that...

...Oooooohhhh right!
hunter_ct4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #441
Tech Champion

Hey wagnerov, any news on the new suspension parts you showed us?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #442
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey R40-
Nice track!! Im guessing the neighbors across the street love you guys!!
The prp guys are seriously the coolest guys around. I dont race a xr8 but Wagner and Roger are always down to help me out at the track no matter what!
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #443
Tech Champion

It's actually in the corner of a parking lot at one of the local malls. The building across the street is a hotel with a bar. I've never heard of them complaining, but some of the people that get drunk there tend to wonder across the street onto the track. We find broken glass, peel out marks(full scale vehicle), broken pipes, knocked down bariers and all kinds of garbage on the track on a regular basis. It's actually a pretty good location, the only big issue is when one of the mall venders makes us tear it down for the holidays. That's the most frustrating thing, because that portion of the parking lot NEVER gets used. Even on the busiest shopping day of the year, there were 5-6 empty rows between the track and the vender's store. We took pics, just to demonstrate that the tear down was pointless. I guess the head chease is just a jerk, no other explanation...

We all really enjoy racing, and are happy to support the track. The owner of Hobby Central is really responsible for making it happen. He got the mall's permision, the area paved, and set it up initially. We just keep it together, and help during the rebuild. We're nearing the end of the series, and it's getting really competitive. No way we're giving up the track to a bunch of drunken fools and jerks!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM   #444
Tech Champion

Ahh man...I went off on a tangent and killed the thread...I suck!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #445
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

R40Victim,

The machined nylon lower front/rear arms retail for $32.00/ea. (cough!) and the upper fronts are $22.00...hobby shops will probably sell them for less. We also have a new steel clutch bell for the XR/8 push clutch, part #X81016. And there are also CV-Joint kits for the front and rear, retail on those is $42.00/pr. Pictures and part numbers are on the website!

Attached is the latest parts list with all the replacement parts and upgrades.

Hope you're having fun with the RTR! I wish we had a permanent track around here, even if we had to sweep up broken glass once in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
New 1/8 on-road "XR8"-xr8partslist.jpg  
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #446
Tech Adept

thanks for the Positives' "R40Victim"

I will wait maybe a month before a
RTR XR80 Review comes out of the Magazines, then maybe I will
buy the RTR XR80.

Right now, I just don't know too much about the quality of the RTR.

it seems though that the RTR version sounds
"off to a great start" car......

keep up the thread fellas'....
rclab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #447
Tech Champion

Cough is right! I'll have to check with my LHS, see what's cookin. I haven't broken any arms yet, so I may just hold off on those until I do...

I'm having a great time with this car. It's simply the fastest, best handling thing I've driven. I've spent more time just trying to figure out the driving technique, than wrenching on it. The locked rear diff is counterintuitive to say the least. I've really impressed, and scared/supprised myself with this thing. Once I get the hang of it, I know it'll be a track record setter...

I must have sounded grim with my thread killing post, but I tried to sum it up with; "Who cares, we love racing anyway". Having a permant track with 24-7 access is awsome...
Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #448
Tech Master

I've already made up my mind to get one of these... now its just a matter of when.....
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #449
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default getting one

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
I've already made up my mind to get one of these... now its just a matter of when.....

you will not be dissaponted, and if you need setup help we are here for you...
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #450
Tech Champion

When?...Why wait?... You're waisting perfectly good track time!

Yup, plenty of help here, we're like a support group... My name is [Your Name Here] and I'm a race-oholic...