R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 AM   #181
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

This kit is like a Serpent in sheeps clothing.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
go to http://www.nandaracing.com/

and try from there... they are from GuangDong i believe....
Sorry Mop, but it's not that manufacture that produces the XR/8. Yusa Manufacturing is far more advance then that company.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:56 AM   #183
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally posted by revzalot
This kit is like a Serpent in sheeps clothing.
hopefully it does perform like one...a combo of performance+cheaper=podium finish
Old 01-30-2005, 01:58 AM   #184
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nanda Racing isn't responsible for XR8,only Swift and Raptor is.
XR8 is designed by some taiwanese company which i still don't know which one is it.
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:03 AM   #185
Tech Fanatic

Materialwise this company didn't cut corners. The kit has a enough carbon fiber and aluminum to make it strong. I'm a little worried about the type of plastic it uses though. Roger, how durable is it?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:12 AM   #186
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
Sorry Mop, but it's not that manufacture that produces the XR/8. Yusa Manufacturing is far more advance then that company.

Quote:
Originally posted by Car Breaker
Nanda Racing isn't responsible for XR8,only Swift and Raptor is.
XR8 is designed by some taiwanese company which i still don't know which one is it.
roger and car breaker.... sorry about that! thanks for the correction!!!!

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:35 AM   #187
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to wagnerov Send a message via Yahoo to wagnerov

We've tested the car at Revelation Raceway already. Josh Alton has been running XR/8 every weekend for the past few weeks, working on a good baseline setup for the car. Despite its similarities to other cars, the XR/8 definitely has its own feel when it comes to handling. So far there haven't been any issues with materials, geometry or anything like that....although if you bonk a wall hard enough, something will break. I think that's true with any car. Although it really depends on the track, the rear end has a little bit of chatter that we are trying to dial out. Everything else is pretty straightforward, and the clutch has been exceptional with its performance. About the only complaints are with the manual, which is somewhat ambiguous about certain settings.

Kevin Jelich and I will be travelling to Florida for the Winternationals on Saturday. We hope two days of practice will be enough to keep up with everyone else.

We just got in a new rear sway bar with an aluminum mount, I'll post some pictures soon. A new parts list will be added to our website this week. All the parts are in stock in the warehouse, it's up to the shops to order them.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #188
Tech Adept

And the company that produces the car is Yusa Model Co. Says it right on the box, although there is no contact information. Power Racing is merely the distributor for the car in the U.S., although the relationship is a little bit closer than that. I'm not sure what box it will come in for other countries.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:42 AM   #189
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Materialwise this company didn't cut corners. The kit has a enough carbon fiber and aluminum to make it strong. I'm a little worried about the type of plastic it uses though. Roger, how durable is it?
I am almost finished building the kit and my opinion is this.

I don't like the shocks. When assembling the shafts, the washers bent and the pistons didn't sit flat. That hurt the action. The shafts scratched when I gripped them even with a piece of thin rubber. My Serpent shafts do not scratch.

The plastic seems a little soft. I don't know for sure but it feels like it will strip if you try to really tighten the screws.

It didn't come with servo horns. It's not a big deal but it is one more thing I had to go to the LHS for. A battery pack would have been nice as well.

I would like for the instructions to have more detail especially for setup. I have no idea how much to tighten the pivot balls, how long the shocks should be, shock oil, etc...

Overall I have to say it's a pretty nice kit. I can't wait to break the engine in and put it in the car. If I really like it I will probably get a set of 950R shocks for it and that's about it. I showed it to a few people who race 1/8 and they were fairly impressed with the value.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 AM   #190
Tech Fanatic

Wow, that's great news. I'd definately use Serpent shocks which is probably the best shocks in the industry. What size batteries are needed?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #191
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Wow, that's great news. I'd definately use Serpent shocks which is probably the best shocks in the industry. What size batteries are needed?
I'm not sure the Serpent shock will work but I'm guessing it will. I believe that a 5 cell AAA pack is needed. I am checking into that right now.

wagnerov, how did you setup the 2 speed?
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #192
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by wagnerov
We've tested the car at Revelation Raceway already. Josh Alton has been running XR/8 every weekend for the past few weeks, working on a good baseline setup for the car. Despite its similarities to other cars, the XR/8 definitely has its own feel when it comes to handling. So far there haven't been any issues with materials, geometry or anything like that....although if you bonk a wall hard enough, something will break. I think that's true with any car. Although it really depends on the track, the rear end has a little bit of chatter that we are trying to dial out. Everything else is pretty straightforward, and the clutch has been exceptional with its performance. About the only complaints are with the manual, which is somewhat ambiguous about certain settings.

Kevin Jelich and I will be travelling to Florida for the Winternationals on Saturday. We hope two days of practice will be enough to keep up with everyone else.

We just got in a new rear sway bar with an aluminum mount, I'll post some pictures soon. A new parts list will be added to our website this week. All the parts are in stock in the warehouse, it's up to the shops to order them.

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE PICS....I REALLY HOPE THE CAR DOES WELL AT THE WINTERNATS THIS WEEKEND AND NEXT WEEK....PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON WHATS GOING ON......CHOCO
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #193
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

YES! Most definately keep us updated as what goes on. I'd love to stay with nitro sedan, but 8ths are just too awesome. The XR8 would be my 8th onroad car if I have access to it and parts.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #194
Suspended

OH YES,YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GO TO ALSO www.forgass.com choco
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:09 PM   #195
Tech Adept

I set the 2-speed with the shift point at 3 turns out. The steel shaft should rock back and forth freely, but not sloppily...that is easily adjustable with the 3mm setscrews.

As for the shock pistons, the shafts are stainless steel. I'm not sure what Serpent uses. I set the pistons up so they would not be too tight on the shaft, but they weren't sloppy either. I guess it's kind of hard to quantify. Maybe tighten it snugly, then back it off 1/16th of a turn. Most shocks that just use e-clips for the pistons have a little bit of give, so I assume that's what works with these too.

Hope that answers some of the issues.

We just got the receiver packs in, it's a 5-cell AAA flat pack, part #YC026, retail price $22.00. I made my own originally before they came in stock. Not sure who else's fits.

Since it's the first run of cars, we're still sorting out the issues like the servo saver. Oddly, it comes with a .21 air filter...ah well. Mysteries like that keep things fun.

Thanks,

-Cameron