Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Cleaning

I have hear of people cleaning their 1/8 buggies in the dishwasher. Obviosly they take them into pieces, but how far into pieces? Do the diff houses fill up with water and rust the diffs? Is this a legitimate way to clean your car?

Regards,

Christopher
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Don't put them in the dishwasher. If I dont feel like taking a vehicle and pulling it apart into a million pieces I will remove the reciever and battery. Spray the whole car down with simple green. Let it soak for a few minutes and then come back and spray with a bottle of water. Then I will take compressed air and spray the whole car off till its dry using a hand towel to wipe some of the running dirt and after it is dry will spray the whole car with wd40. Let it soak for a min and blow it off again. After it is dry I will wipe it down with the rag and the car will look like it was brand new again.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I run all my vehicles through the dishwasher. Great way to save time, and really get all the "nooks and crannies" cleaned out.

I leave my diffs in, and haven't had any issues with water, etc... Just remove electronics, and you're set. Once it's done in the wash, I'll go over it all with oil, WD-40 etc to keep the metal from rusting, and to keep the black parts looking black.

I like this method, because while the rig is in the dishwasher, I've got time to clean the engine, rims, fuel tank, etc. by hand.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
I run all my vehicles through the dishwasher. Great way to save time, and really get all the "nooks and crannies" cleaned out.

I leave my diffs in, and haven't had any issues with water, etc... Just remove electronics, and you're set. Once it's done in the wash, I'll go over it all with oil, WD-40 etc to keep the metal from rusting, and to keep the black parts looking black.

I like this method, because while the rig is in the dishwasher, I've got time to clean the engine, rims, fuel tank, etc. by hand.
I will try both of these methods! How is the dish washer after?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

subscribed!!! i removed all ele before.... Then I do the simple green hose it off, spray off with compressed air, wd40 all moving part i mean ALL moving parts, then spray with air again and it works great, though dishwasher sounds like a good idea and want to hear more about it before i put both e buggy and e truggy in there
Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78

+1 i like to use Kal-Guard as well
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've used the dishwaser, air compressor, spray wash, etc and they all get the car very clean. However, they are also very good at forcing dirt into the bearings. Therefore, I only use them if I'm going to tear the car completely down and pull the seals off the bearings, spray them out, re-grease them, and put the seals back on. I do this about every 3-4 races. Between complete tear downs, I use brushes, cleaning putty, and rags.