Wiki Posts
Search

Hpi Proceed & Mugen MRX-3 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hpi Proceed & Mugen MRX-3 comparison

Hi guys,

I'm about to switch from my 1/10th scale HPI to a 1/8 scale car. I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison on the differences between the HPI and Mugen 1/8 scale cars. Also which do you think is the better car if you compare them dollar for dollar.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Proceed is really no longer supported by HPI... Yes, you can find parts for it if you search, but the car is on it's laaaaaaaaaaaaast leg... I hear there's an after-market company here in the States doing work on the car, but it's completely seperate from HPI... I got that from Mike Swauger from Mugen. The Proceed is not a bad car... It's just an very old car and no one really drives the car anymore... Except for a few dia-hard HPI guys... :-) The Mugen MRX3 and soon to be released MRX4 is really the way to go... Hands down, the support, parts availibity, knowledge from fellow drivers... The Mugen is just a winner all the way around... Now, if you're looking to race 1/8 scale on-road on a prepared RC track... Get the Mugen... Now, if you're looking to parking lot bash and want the fastest car on the lot... Get the Proceed. Sure you might save alittle money now Getting the Proceed, but if you're looking to race and enjoy the hobby the way it was meant to be enjoyed.. True F-1 level RC racing.... Get the Mugen. If not, you'll end up buying the Proceed now and in couple of weeks you'll be putting it on Ebay...

RC_Alan
Old 06-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I noticed that there are three different version of the MRX3. If I'm buying a used MRX-3 how can I tell that I'm truely getting the "works" edition or the "osaka" edition? Also between the three versions what's the difference and how do they stack against each other?

I most likely won't become a die hard racer, but I do plan on racing it about once a week at a local track.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm not an 1/8 scale driver, but anything Mugen will top anything HPI... Have you seen this used MRX3 that you plan on buying??? Did you inspect it, drive it??? What is it coming with??? Is it ready to run ie. motor, servos and radio??? The same question goes for the HPI Proceed... But I really wouldn't go in the direction anyway... These are the things you did not mention in your last post... You might want to ask this same question on the MRX3 thread... I'm sure the guys there can help point you in the right direction..

RC_Alan
Old 06-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm actually purchasing it online and the guys located about 3000 miles from me.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Are there any RC tracks near you??? If so, go there today and see what all the 1/8 scale drivers are driving... They're driving either a Mugen, Serpent and maybe 1 Kyosho... You won't find a Proceed on the Track I'm sure... Look at there cars, ask questions with those drivers as well as here in the forums... Money is hard to come by and seeing as you're buying yours online, I understand... Don't buy anythng yet... Go to the local track and try to gather as much knowledge and info as you can.... Weigh the pros and cons of buying the Proceed and also you can see what a MRX3 in good conditions should look like...

Good luck... I'm off the track myself...

RC_Alan
Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rc_alan
I'm not an 1/8 scale driver, but anything Mugen will top anything HPI... Have you seen this used MRX3 that you plan on buying??? Did you inspect it, drive it??? What is it coming with??? Is it ready to run ie. motor, servos and radio??? The same question goes for the HPI Proceed... But I really wouldn't go in the direction anyway... These are the things you did not mention in your last post... You might want to ask this same question on the MRX3 thread... I'm sure the guys there can help point you in the right direction..

RC_Alan
Where and who is the guy you are buying it from. You should check to see if he is known on any of the forums then you will be able to get good feedback on the condition of the car.

But definately the MRX3 would be the better car.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not an 1/8 scale driver, but anything Mugen will top anything HPI
hey now, the r40 owns our track... and also hpi is starting to support the proceed again, i saw an ad for it in the latest car action. but if i were you get the mrx4
Old 06-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I dont think i'm gonan be involved enough with the R/C hobby to justify me spending around $1000 for a mrx4 w/ all the stuff needed.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by rc_alan
I'm not an 1/8 scale driver, but anything Mugen will top anything HPI...
RC_Alan
Old 06-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

I too saw an add for the Proceed in RCCA, and at one of the more recent 8th scale events, a proceed took I think 3rd...not too bad for an "old" car. I know that Delta makes hop-up components for the Proceed.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

You know, HPI could easily throw the Proceed back on the map just by having Atsushi race it at big events. I'm not a 1/8 scale expert, but have heard the Proceed is a solid design and can win if setup right. Even if it's not the best car, in the hands of Hara it's probably capable of winning just about anything. That would be far more effective marketing than any ad HPI runs for it.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Tech Addict

That's true, they can bring it back easy. But I would still go with the Mugen hands down. The car is designed better, drives better, and etc. I haven't seen a Proceed at the track yet.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:37 AM
X2
Tech Regular

Originally posted by compaq888
That's true, they can bring it back easy. But I would still go with the Mugen hands down. The car is designed better, drives better, and etc. I haven't seen a Proceed at the track yet.
You havent seen one but you know the Mugen drives better?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

come on, it's a no brainer. Mugen cars are designed way better, HPI always is late a couple of years. Thank god I finally bought a real car, I can't believe i sunk $1500 into those HPI cars, what a waste. My V one RR stock drives better than any hpi car i owned, and I have driven those on the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.