Search

Spare Parts or Spare Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Cool Spare Parts or Spare Car?

So I have bought a new car and I’m the type of guy who likes to carry every spare part just in case something goes wrong.

I don’t want to rely on someone else at the track (whether it be trackside sales or a fellow racer) to bail me out if I break a part and I don’t mind carrying all theses parts around with me.

I like to have that piece of mind of knowing that I have everything covered should things go bad.

But after thinking about it from a dollars and cents point of view, am I better off keeping every spare part or should I just buy a second car and use that as spares?

What do you guys do?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I always buy a spare car, since it saves money.
You have every part which could eventually break so you don't have to worry about that.
Also you have a spare set of shocks, diffs and a spare clutch which makes setup changes a lot faster on those pieces.
Plus I always like to build up the suspension of the spare car, basically an entire corner with the wishbones, uprights etc. already setup so you can exchange an entire corner within minutes when something breaks.

When I take something out of the sparekit I will order that part again so you always have a complete second kit. This is also helpful when you decide to sell off everything because you're changing brands for example. A second hand kit is worth a whole lot more then spare parts, most of the time you will get next to northing for your spares.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Having a spare car is nice, but it also means you need to setup and maintain two cars at all times. If there is enough time between runs to change out parts and you're not breaking something every time you're out on the track, then one car should be fine. If there isn't enough time or you're always breaking something, then a DUPLICATE car is the way to go. Engine tuning becomes an issue if you're running different engines and pipes.

I'd show up at the track with 3 race ready cars, all with different configurations, engines, pipes and bodies - and I would run all of them, just for fun or because I was running 2 classes; 3 at our annual championship race. It was nice to be able to just switch out a car when something went really bad (broken part that takes too long to replace or requires setup board time, bad bearing, etc.), but prepping the cars was very time consuming and engine tuning between all three engines was always a handful - especially if the weather changed.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Tech Champion

Buy 2 kits

1 for your car
1 for your spare parts ( this is cheaper than buying spare parts separately )
and stock up few perishable parts such as belts, clutch shoes, cvd,
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Buy 2 kits. This is often already cheaper than just buying the spares you would need anyway plus the cost of the 'wear-items' in the kit, and as stated, having an extra clutch, shocks and diffs always comes in handy.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I always buy two kits... Like everyone says, its cheaper in the long run.

I just buy as spare (apart from the second kit) extra spurs and arms/uprights and that's about it.

Just make sure to keep track of the parts you use so you can buy them back.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Buying a second kit is cheaper in the long run but thats only if you plan on breaking every part on the car.

If you're getting a car of reputable quality, most often the only things that are prone to breakage are things like suspension arms, hubs, axles and bumper/ nose piece. Often when you do replace those parts, you may find that there are upgraded parts available in lieu of the stock parts.

This is why you should get a car from a dealer near you that provides full support for that car. All you need to do is get just the necessary spares to get you through a race day and leave yourself open to buying upgrades instead of the stock replacement when available at your dealer.