R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #601
Tech Elite

Those screws should not cause the issue you are having. The only think I can think of is the bearings on the main shaft or the one-way needs to be greased with a heavy silicone based grease, not one-way oil. I use the associated ball diff clear grease.

If it happened after the 10 minute mark, maybe the one-way got hot and locked up to strip second gear.

If you are only stripping second gear than I would lean more toward the one-way issue. If the main shaft bearing were bad, all the gears would strip. try using the ball diff grease and let me know how that goes.

Hope this works,

DJ Apolaro
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #602
Tech Addict

Hey DJ already using the heavy silicone grease / ball diff grease and one way comes out nice and clean no lock up or anything.
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #603
Tech Addict

Bearing of shaft where replace as well
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #604
Tech Elite

Not sure what to say. It sounds like you did what you where supposed to try. Just tighten all the screws and double check you mesh. Make sure everything is correct and give another go at it. I hate when his type of things happen. Let us know what you find in the end. Maybe also see if it is shifting late and stressing the 2nd gear.

DJ Apolaro
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #605
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

speed6 ,

the 3x16 screws that you said were loose ( they go through the red sleeve and connects to the inner bulkhead ), possibly was your problem.

did you try again after you tighten them? for me when i ran my c801 without the screws and sleeves attached , i stripped 2nd gears.

i didn't connect them just to see how the car would react..
yappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #606
Tech Adept

Speed6,

I've personally seen this issue happen to a friend and it turned out to be the shaft surface where the one-way bearing makes contact. If you see the black nitride surface inconsistent in color (dark with light areas) or worse yet, pitted, that's the problem. Replace the two speed shaft and the one-way together...problem solved.

Don't let anyone steer you different. It could happen again so you better be vigilant with 2 speed maintenance.
b_esser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #607
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_esser View Post
Speed6,

I've personally seen this issue happen to a friend and it turned out to be the shaft surface where the one-way bearing makes contact. If you see the black nitride surface inconsistent in color (dark with light areas) or worse yet, pitted, that's the problem. Replace the two speed shaft and the one-way together...problem solved.

Don't let anyone steer you different. It could happen again so you better be vigilant with 2 speed maintenance.
My 2 speed shaft is all silver in colour and the part where the one way sits its like polished like it normally does with any shaft with one way.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #608
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappy View Post
speed6 ,

the 3x16 screws that you said were loose ( they go through the red sleeve and connects to the inner bulkhead ), possibly was your problem.

did you try again after you tighten them? for me when i ran my c801 without the screws and sleeves attached , i stripped 2nd gears.

i didn't connect them just to see how the car would react..
The loose screw in the bulkhead would cause too much flex resulting in the stripping of the gears.
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #609
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougday View Post
The loose screw in the bulkhead would cause too much flex resulting in the stripping of the gears.
But how is the 1 st gear surviving if it's flex?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #610
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
My 2 speed shaft is all silver in colour and the part where the one way sits its like polished like it normally does with any shaft with one way.

Thanks
When I built my first car, I noticed that I had missed mounting two small pieces that hold the main bulkheads and two speed bulkhead together. If those pieces are not installed, it may cause the chassis to flex too much in that area resulting in stripping of the gears.....Damage on the shaft will not cause the gears to strip unless it's very extreme. Even then, it may only prevent the oneway bearing from working correctly.
xtremes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #611
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I have never stripped a gear in this car...even when the 2-speed shaft was damaged....
xtremes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #612
Tech Initiate

Default Rx accu pack

Hi

Could anybody tell me what kind of Rx accu pack you use with your C801. I can't find a suitable. The one I find are to high or to large to fit in place or they don't indicate the size at all on their web site.
I would prefer a Life then a Lipo, so I don't have to use a regulator.

thanks
crashnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #613
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnco View Post
Hi

Could anybody tell me what kind of Rx accu pack you use with your C801. I can't find a suitable. The one I find are to high or to large to fit in place or they don't indicate the size at all on their web site.
I would prefer a Life then a Lipo, so I don't have to use a regulator.

thanks
what radio system are you using...most newer radio systems can handle lipo with no problems

Last edited by motojon; 03-22-2012 at 05:04 PM.
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #614
Tech Initiate

I am using a Futaba 3PK with a HRS receiver and S9350 and S9450 digital servos. I suppose they will work at 7.4V but I not realy want to try it as they are designed for 6.0V only.
And a 7.4 to 6V regulator is an supplemental error source.
Therefor I am looking for Life accu's if no Nimh are available.
crashnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #615
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnco View Post
I am using a Futaba 3PK with a HRS receiver and S9350 and S9450 digital servos. I suppose they will work at 7.4V but I not realy want to try it as they are designed for 6.0V only.
And a 7.4 to 6V regulator is an supplemental error source.
Therefor I am looking for Life accu's if no Nimh are available.
use a lifi 6.6 volts