R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #586
Tech Initiate

DS

You mentioned your servo leads where too long and you shortened them. Did you remove the connectors from the plastic plug and cut and solder the wire, or do you know where to buy new terminals and redo the lot. I would like to do the same.

Thanks
Clinker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #587
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinker42 View Post
DS

You mentioned your servo leads where too long and you shortened them. Did you remove the connectors from the plastic plug and cut and solder the wire, or do you know where to buy new terminals and redo the lot. I would like to do the same.

Thanks
I always solder new wiring directly to the servo board since I replace the complete wiring with much better quality stuff.

You should be able to buy the terminals at every normal hobby shop. You can either crimp the new terminals to the wire or solder them. If you don't have the special tool to crimp the terminals I would suggest soldering them.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #588
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jay7
Questions??

Hey DJ, what suspension setup where you using at the last few state races on your 1/8 scale? Shock fluid wt-brand, spring brand-color and pistons?

Thanx...
Jay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #589
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay7 View Post
Hey DJ, what suspension setup where you using at the last few state races on your 1/8 scale? Shock fluid wt-brand, spring brand-color and pistons?

Thanx...
On a smooth track 1 hole in the front and 2 in the rear with 55 wt. Bumpy track try 4 hole front and 6 hole rear with 50 or 55 wt.

Patrizio made a set of shock that I used at the Winternats that were 6 hole pistons all around with 2,000 cst Capricorn oil. These were good also, but I only used them there and did not test them back to back to see the difference. Just no time!

Smooth track I use the Capricorn Blue or Mugen white for the front and Stock or Blue rears (Capricorn)

Bumpy tracks we went to stock fronts and Red rears (Capricorn)

DJ Apolaro
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #590
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Jay7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
On a smooth track 1 hole in the front and 2 in the rear with 55 wt. Bumpy track try 4 hole front and 6 hole rear with 50 or 55 wt.

Patrizio made a set of shock that I used at the Winternats that were 6 hole pistons all around with 2,000 cst Capricorn oil. These were good also, but I only used them there and did not test them back to back to see the difference. Just no time!

Smooth track I use the Capricorn Blue or Mugen white for the front and Stock or Blue rears (Capricorn)

Bumpy tracks we went to stock fronts and Red rears (Capricorn)

DJ Apolaro

Thanx for the quick reply going to do some testing this weekend...
Jay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #591
Tech Initiate

Hi
Could you guys post some pics of your servos and switch and receiver. I'm looking for ideas on the wiring, I have the kit assembled now with the red alloy arms and titanium (Chinese titanium) screws everywhere, it looks so good I just have to do a great job on the wiring. Does anyone make nice alloy servo and switch covers.

Thanks
Clinker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #592
Tech Addict

Default Tire size for 20min races

Dear all, DS, DJ,

what tire size do you reccomend to run for a 20 min race using fronts 32 rear 35?

Thanks
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #593
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Dear all, DS, DJ,

what tire size do you recommend to run for a 20 min race using fronts 32 rear 35?

Thanks
It depends on the tire wear. How much wear are you getting on the all 4 corners. Then I can help calculate the size. Also were your running 5 minute quals. This will help in finding out the correct amount of wear you are going to get.

DJ
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #594
Tech Addict

Quote:
It depends on the tire wear. How much wear are you getting on the all 4 corners. Then I can help calculate the size. Also were your running 5 minute quals. This will help in finding out the correct amount of wear you are going to get.

DJ
Will make a test run on Saturday and let you know the sizes. At which size will the Cap have its best handling?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #595
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Will make a test run on Saturday and let you know the sizes. At which size will the Cap have its best handling?
I typically qualify on 73 rears with a 7 split.

DJ
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #596
Tech Elite

Quote:

DJ
Really? 73mm rears? And a 7mm split? Wow!!! Seams alot of split......... does the gearing account for that amount or is that just due to the rears wearing so much faster?

Last edited by British Menace; 03-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Really? 73mm rears? And a 7mm split? Wow!!!

BM
Yes Anthony 73mm rears. The softer tires are great for qualifying but wear faster. 7mm split is pretty standard across all the car brands these days.
Rick Vessell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #598
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

DJ
What up DJ?
Rick Vessell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #599
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
What up DJ?
Whats up Rick,

You been doing the GT thing or what. I will try to go to the Byron's and GLC this year so I am sure I will see you.

As for the BM and the 73 rears.

Our tire wear is not that bad at most of the tracks we run. For a 7 minute run that is plenty and I like the way my motors work around this size tire, especially in the mid range. I then gear it for the track and conditions.

DJ Apolaro
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #600
Tech Addict

Default 2nd Gear stripping all of a sudden

Sunday had a day event but we where stripping 2nd gears badly.

After stripping around 6 gears and trying to inspect we have noticed that the one way bearing bulged out from the aluminium housing so the plastic 1 st gear came touching the 2nd. Replaced the whole one way and re tested during qualifiction and did well.

Went to do some more testing and 2nd gear stripped
Replaced all bearings that has to do with that parts of the drive train i.e. 2nd speed aluminium housing bearings, shaft bearing, clutch bearings.

Went out for the race and after around 10min of fighting against the first driver, was really enjoying it i hear the sound of goodbye from the race i.e. 2nd gear stripped once again. I was so pissed.

After cleaning and dismantling the car the only thing i found awkward was that the screws 3 x 16mm that hold the rear bulkhead to the center bulkhead (the one of the 2 speed where you put 2 red anodized aluminium spacers) got a bit unscrewed / loose. Could it be flex?

Also the 2 speed clutch had the grub screws installed from day one and kindly also note that i have been running this car for quite some time and never had an issue, all of a sudden this prob popped up!

Please help me out!