R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default HPI R40 Build

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am just beginning my build on the R40 and I have a few questions.

I am working on the rear end of the car. And the Supplied drive belt for the Diff, doesn't appear to be the right size. The belt that came with the car was a 63 tooth Belt. Has anybody else had this problem? And what belt did you use?

Also for the same belt. The forward gear seems to be a bit to far to the left. As the belt sits cock eyed.

I took the car to the local Hobby shop to see if they could help me out, but they were baffeled. I wanted verification that I was assembling correctly and that I was missing anyhing or an adjustment somewhere. But they couldn't find anything either. And since none of them have the car or have even built it. They really weren't much help.

Please help. Esspecially if you are in the KC area I could really use somebody to correspond with. Or just somebody that is pretty knowledgeable about the car.

Thanks in advance and I am sure this is only the first of many posts I am going to post. As this is the first ever Nitro car I have owned much less tried to build.

Beowulf1877
beowulf1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default belt problem

the rear belt part number is A727(its the same for the front and rear belt), have you guys tried to adjust the tension by notches in the rear diff housing? its on page 17 in the manual?

hope this helps jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Yes, I moved the adjustment full front to full rear...Has something changed in the R40?

We were finally able to get a 58 tooth HPI belt to fit on there but, with the adjustment to full rear. Or the notch is turn all the way to the front of the car to move the bearing back as far as it will go. it is still a little large for my liking. With the 58 tooth belt on the belt catches and moves the gears but if you were to push the belt down it will push down almost a half inch.

I still have a problem with the front 19tooth gear for that same belt. Is still off a little to the left. Is there some sort of adjustment for that to move back to the right a little. It would be okay if I could get over to the right a bit more by maybe just a 2-3mm. If even that. The belt just looks cock-eyed as it sits now.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:32 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

yeah man, you have me scrating my head, the best I can say is to post this in the r40 thread- you may get some better responses than mine

-jason
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

does the front and rear belt say a727 on it?....its the right belt...Make sure you have all the correct numbered pulleys in the right places....

the 2 19 tooth pulleys go on the 2 sp shaft..the 18 and 23 go on the front shaft...the 22 is an overdrive pulley,not needed in your application...nothing has changed on the car......

the 2 sp shaft is a little tricky in its order of pulley and spacers...

make sure the orientation of the diffs are correct also...

and make sure the rear diff holders have the little ears pointed towards the back...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
the 2 19 tooth pulleys go on the 2 sp shaft..the 18 and 23 go on the front shaft...the 22 is an overdrive pulley,not needed in your application...nothing has changed on the car......

the 2 sp shaft is a little tricky in its order of pulley and spacers...

make sure the orientation of the diffs are correct also...

and make sure the rear diff holders have the little ears pointed towards the back...
good thinking harry, i just asummed that the pulleys were in the right spot...

~jason
Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Check on the pulley locations. I have the two 19 tooth pulleys on the 2sp shaft. I have not started on the front end of the car yet all I can say is I dont have anything up front wrong yet.

Two things I cannot say for sure, is the orientation of the diff, and having the correct spacing on the 2 sp shaft.

The ears are pointing to the rear of the car however.

As far as the orientation. I believe I am correct as I have checked the directions multiple times. But agian since something is wrong I cannot say for sure. I am really wishing I had my Digital Cameral so I can show you guys what is happening and maybe you can see what my problem is.

Could possibly one of you with an R40 take a picture of the rear end and post it? Maybe I can spot what I am doing wrong by comparing it to my car.

Thanks agian.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:57 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

beowulf1877: hey man, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm not only "in the KC area" but I am one of the race directors at the races in Overland Park.

Add to that, I run a R40!

If you can bring your R40 by the races this Sunday, maybe we can compare cars and see what you got going on.

I'm usually out there as early as 7:20am. My name is Greg. Everybody knows me, so if you looking for me, just ask around.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

SWEET!!! I was really hoping to find somebody in the KC that runs a R40 that can sorta show me the ropes. Hopefully if you dont mind. This is my first ever RC car so I may have gotten myself over my head a bit. But I like that. I learn better this way.

Anyways. An update on the situation. It was my stupid mistake. I went back this morning and took a deep breath and sat down to look at it some more. I started going over the directions for the upteenth time and low and behold I saw my mistake. I had switched the front and rear differantials around. So once I took it apart agian and corrected my mistake. Everything lined up perfectly!! The stock belt looked good and everything.

Thank you all for replying and keeping me looking. I feel much better now that I figured it out.

And Greg I would love to meet up with you, learn some stuff. However this weekend I am going to Jefferson City. Then the weekend after that I am going to Minnesota for a weeks. But when I get the car built I would love to meet up with you so you can show me the ropes but also verify that I did everything correctly such as the right tension on the belts and proper motor tuning and such. If you dont mind showing a Newbie some things that is.

you can email me at [email protected] if you like that we can talk more. I am sure I am going to have LOTS and LOTS of questions.

Thank you very much
Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by beowulf1877
I had switched the front and rear differantials around.

Mike
Yep, that'll definitely cause some problems!

When you get a chance, take a trip over to here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=19169

This is the thread where the Overland Park racers hang out and chat. You can also find out when we'll be racing, what time it starts, etc... Its also a great place to ask questions about tires selection, gearing and all that good stuff. So stop by there once your back from your trips. If I'm calculating correctly, our first race after you get back from your trips will be Aug 22.

Theres no problem with helping you with the R40. Its a great car. I've run mine stock up to this point and gotten a couple wins with it. I've just now started adding some unneccesary hop ups, but hey, thats R/C!

But next time your online, be sure to stop by the OP racing thread that the link above leads to.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Default R40

Sweet thank you.

Since I got my situation resolved I have been blowing my way through the build. Haveing the day off helps a bit too. I am having so much fun just building it. I cant wait to get it on the road.

Now I am at the point to start putting in the Radio Servo's and recievers. I have absolutly no knowledge of this so I hope I dont mess anything up.

The Radio I am using is the JR XR2i. I know its not the latest and greatest, but hopefully it will get me rolling for the time being. Gotta go tommorro and pick up a battery pack(s) so I can finish the build. Hopefully I can have it done next week sometime.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

make sure you put the front braces on the right way....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote