Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Wining Driving Style >

Wining Driving Style

Wining Driving Style

Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Wining Driving Style

Hello everbody...
This might be a good topic. The question is what and which style is better or best to win a race?! All the world champion out there give your tips man...

Is it ... Good pickup out of corner ?
Is it ... Go as fast and speed as possible to the corner and break to make smooth cornering ?
Is it.... Go as fast as possible but off power 3-4 meter before corner using one way..as to make smooth corneering ??
Is it .... no break at all but just play with throttle
etc.. etc...

No crash !
Old 04-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

I dont no about the ones you have listed but alot of skilled drivers prefer to follow rather than lead. Then pass on the last corner(according to Surikarn)
Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Smoothness and consistancy is the key. I see too many guys give it all they've got and push their car too much. Only to break a hub or crack an arm when they finally make a mistake.

I also hardly use brakes too and tend to smooth out my throttle. (This is with one way and foams.) When I drive rubber with gear diffs, I use brakes a little more but the brake setup is set pretty light. Slow in, fast out when you exit.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Entering Corner that like snake

If I entering a short corner what is the best practice in pulling the throttle trigger? Should I consistent pull the trigger abit and constant (stop) at that level while I completed all the short corner or pull the trigger rapidly (rev ) remm..remm..remm which will be take the adv constant or revving.?
Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

well, your queries seem too hard to reply but all i can say is that winning driving techniques are contributed by many factors and all based on personal preference! what works for others may not work for you and vice versa...
but you can start off with by getting an overall idea as to the characteristics of each different set-up where this is closely linked to the driving style...you just need to try it out for yourself and see if it suits you.
Genarally, a thorough understanding of the mechanism will help you greatly and faster to master your own set of prefered driving style which you may later called your winning formula.
E.g. Running a front one-way required early braking b4 entering into corners. B'cos the one-way eliminates the front wheels braking leaving only the rear wheel brakes. So, the driving style for this device should set the brake gently (not so biting) unlike the Frnt & Rear Diff setup where all 4 wheels brake the same time.
E.g. Replace the rear diff with a Solid Axial will result more on-power throttle during turns and early power out of turns which makes you faster in cornering.
you'd probably need to do some reading on the mechanism of each adj. /tunable setting (eg. droop, camber, toe-in/out, anti-roll bars...etc...etc...) and try set up your car to your prefered driving style...
just my 2 cts....
or alternatively, visit www.mytsn.com under tech section to understand more...
Old 04-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

If you learn to use the one-way properly you will be able to run fast and smooth without using brakes. A one-way is basically a solid axle that gives semi-diff action in corners when you release the throttle. So, you go into the corner fast and hard (the front of the car will push slightly) then you simply release the throttle and the diff action will take effect and the car will cut into the apex without braking. As soon as the car cuts towards the apex learn to get back on the power as soon as possible to get the car back in the locked front axle position to get the most benefits down the next straight.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Wow thanks guys...Rclover, modellor ... Need alot of practise to be experience as such...
Old 04-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

In a race I tend to follow (or Push the guy in front of me, without touching them), let the other guy mess up...I just make sure, too, that I'm there at the end. Alot of guys drive super hard and hit something or someone and put themselves out. I run at 80% for 80% of the race then start really concentrating on where I'm placing the car and running harder. After 15 minites of a 20 min main, you've got the car felt out and know what its going to do at every corner.

At the track, in practice, I pick a corner, and try to run it as fast as I can, nail it, close and fast...then I move on to the next corner and concentrate on it..etc. Take the track apart and learn it fast, in segments. Ever notice how some corners you can have the nose pointed RIGHT at the apex and it slides right by? You can't take those corners fast without practice at them...and so many times slow is faster, than (trying) really fast and missing the apex or turn....The best heat or lap can feel like its slow.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

A (real) Pro driver friend tells me that blipping the throttle in the center of the corner is a waste of time.

Another pro I know says he never lets off the throttle fully, he rides the trigger through a turn...thats really hard to do...

Oh, and the best advice I ever got, was squeeeeezzzzzzeee that trigger (off the turn) don't yank it back to full throttle...Slow down, you'll prolly go faster
Old 04-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

last time.....

I use brakes in the pits.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default Squeeezeeeee the trigger

That is a good one theRED5 I believe the effect is like having a dual throttle rating. Good grip increment to faster speed.

No one want to lead it first now..hehehe
Old 04-17-2003, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

I may not be getting this all straight, but I must first say that from your first post, several of those choices could be done (and should be) on different in order to be fast.

For example, my local track is tight (!), tight, tight, so it isn't an option to let off the throttle 3-4 meters before the apex of the turn. That could be enough time for two guys to slip underneath your vehicle as you square up to accelerate out of the turn. That is why oneways aren't the best for my track (unless you are adventurous and go sliding into 180 hairpins).

At most of the tracks that are permenent and specifically designed for 1/8 scale cars, there is usually no real point at which late breaking will pay dividends (as you'll end up sliding off the track, or you won't have any corner-exit speed).

I feel that the main component to fast lap times is fast corner exit speed. The fastest way to enter a corner (and subsequently follow through) depends on what kind of a track you are racing on.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Johnny J
I dont no about the ones you have listed but alot of skilled drivers prefer to follow rather than lead. Then pass on the last corner(according to Surikarn)
I feel pretty comfortable when I am in front. When I am following, I usually become much more frustrated if I get stuck for more then a minute or two. It is much easier for me to pass a guy between 2 corners to a lap after I have latched onto his tail. Once a battle for a position has dragged on for several laps, I get frustrated and try too many passing lines and mess up eventually, or I begin a freight train that lasts to the end of the run. When I am in front, I actually have to think less because my lines are naturally defensive. I just tighten up some more and be more predictable (in order to avoid an accident) then force them to pass me. I try not to block the guy, but make him think while I just keep doing what I've been doing for the past couple laps or so.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Im2lazy
I feel pretty comfortable when I am in front. When I am following, I usually become much more frustrated if I get stuck for more then a minute or two. It is much easier for me to pass a guy between 2 corners to a lap after I have latched onto his tail. Once a battle for a position has dragged on for several laps, I get frustrated and try too many passing lines and mess up eventually, or I begin a freight train that lasts to the end of the run. When I am in front, I actually have to think less because my lines are naturally defensive. I just tighten up some more and be more predictable (in order to avoid an accident) then force them to pass me. I try not to block the guy, but make him think while I just keep doing what I've been doing for the past couple laps or so.
I know a guy who was exactly the same. Got in front and you had to drive fast to catch him or even stay on the same lap over a 5min qualifier but if didnt get out front he was just simply straight off the pace and would loose a lap over 5mins. It must be something psychological that says unless your leading you arent able to go fast enough.

I personally dont care were I am as long as I am close to the leader on the last couple of laps. I actually prefer following as I can then control the race more by applying pressure when necessary. It really frustrates the guy in front when you close up and dummy a pass several times as he knows you have the speed to pass but doesnt understand why you didnt. He then starts getting irratic at those corners and on the final lap you just sail by as he makes a mistake and the race is yours.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Talking Whining Driving Style

Guys;

I've never considered holding back until the last lap. This would come in especially helpful when racing someone on an equal level of Car and Driving skill.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.