R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Strong Test engine?!? READ

Sweet just found this forum and its mint moves fast with lots of members!

Right Im thinking about getting back into rc after a year or so. I am very knowlegable on 1:1 cars and know a fair bit about rc. I already have a rs4 and am thinking of modifying it... A custom cf chassis to lengthen it about 2". larger/wider wheels with slicks and a custom aluminium lid. Next the engine I want to do some testing and try out some extreme mods like nitrous oxide and possibly t/c although no matter how much I want it to work it probably won't. Basicaly to cope with what I've got planned I'll need a descent engine. Preferably a .21 fairly low revving, strong and available upgrades such as forged piston and titanium conrod if it can be done. Any ideas? I need some opinions of what can be achieved and if it's worth starting rc again or should I just stick to 1:1's. If anyone has done extreme engine modifications or much on a rs4 I would be interesting in speaking to them. Or if anyone has msn tell me your addys.

Cheers
carnage_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Firstly, i think u'll be hard pressed to fit a .21 into a RS4 and even if u could i don't tink the drivetrain would be able to handle it. A few people have put .15's in nitro tourers with pretty good results. On the turbo charger idea it has been discussed many times if it can be done effectively. There has been an interesting thread discussing it Here . On forged pistons and ti rods i'm not sure if anyone who does them, but i'm sure some1 would. there was also an extreme modifications thread which could have some useful stuff on it.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Right, I have a mate who makes carbon fibre wings for touring cars and hes making the chassis out of E650 prepreg with a 2 x 2 twill weave to my own design for 30! once that's sorted I'll start to think about the engine!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/
They make a .21mount for da rs4. Good luck on tryin to keep the power on da ground since a high power.12 is alrdy hard to control let alone a .21

Last edited by R1ceboy; 07-22-2004 at 12:21 PM.
R1ceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

I thought I saw .21 conversion for an HPI. Hang on a sec...

Here ya go:

http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/hpi_parts.htm

http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/image...rearmount2.JPG
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I'm getting a custom carbon fibre chassis, 2.5mm thick larger than the rs4 3 chassis, it will be blank so I can drill the holes needed for the new engine.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila

want longer and wider chassis? get the super RS4 (235mm wide I think) get a 4-stroke engine and try the t/c
Old 07-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

right the chassis will be lengthened but only slightly about 3cm and not widened. I am now very interested in the OS FS26 CX 4stroke! orangbaligila- Do you think a 4stroke will be better performance wise than a 2stroke? All though there is plenty of scope for forced induction
Old 07-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Four-Stroke engines are nothing close when it comes to high R.P.M of Two-Stroke engine. Four-Strokes engines may offer huge amounts of torque, better fuel economy, and cleaner running ,but will never reach the required R.P.M needed to make the car as fast as a Two-Stroke. Most Four-Stroke engines rev between 18-20K while Two-Strokes can rev upwards of 30K R.P.M.

Theirs simply no market for the four-stroke engines now thus meaning no improvements ,but when the day comes where four-strokes become popular again look out.

As far as trying to custom lengthen a rs4 chassis it's already been done, I would just purchase a HPI Super Nitro RS4 kit and work up from there with the help of "Wolfpack Radicals".

Last edited by Schneller_101; 07-23-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Schneller_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by orangbaligila
want longer and wider chassis? get the super RS4 (235mm wide I think) get a 4-stroke engine and try the t/c
They come in two different wheelbases 280 and 300mm...
Schneller_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:28 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

lots of torque means quick acceleration. Bhp is derriverd from torque so it should also have a fair top end. Also if most rc plane engines are 4 stroke, think how fast the prop spins. I agree 4 stroke isn't as suited for 1/10 but there is alot of oppurtunity for forced incuction although it would have to be custom. I just dont wana spend alot on a 4stroke to find its REALY slow.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:36 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila

I dunno about 4-stroker fast or not on a 1/10, but at least Kyosho is making a 4-stroke conv. kit for the new FW05 (FW04 has a conv. kit too)

how about trying taller gearing (can be custom made too right?! 3 speed?!) I'm not pushing anything,.. just fresh ideas
Old 07-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Acutally, the four stoke rc airplanes spin around 13k while the RC car engine will spin around 40k. This is mainly because the extra weight of Valve train. You would really have to gear down the fourstokes to keep up with the 2 stokes
R1ceboy is offline   Reply With Quote