R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2004, 01:47 PM   #241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnytc3
It doesnt looked like the car passed inspection, was he disqualified?
Just the special aerodynamic of the body shape and the way below 1725 gram of missing/melted plastic would DQ him in no time.....LOL
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #242
Tech Champion

Can someone define the ROAR rules for me (or others) about Mike Blackstock's case.......I am sure he is above 1725 minimum weight before the race........but after an hour long race, just 4 foams tires, were trued from (let say...) 58mm down to 51/52mm....and those are due to RACE reason...not that he want to lose those weight at the beginning...and each tires that trued 6-7mm, the total can be GRAMS or so...

For those missing grams.............does that count FORWARD to the after race weight check....?

Mike's car is RIGHT at the 1725 gram after race............does ROAR expect racer to be weigh MORE then 1725 gram before the race and expect some lose weight and each car must be above 1725 g no matter what was missing after the race...?

Thanks for the point out.....
Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #243
Tech Initiate

Is this his Display car, or the car he race. Look so clean

Quote:
Originally posted by Backfire
Aaron_ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Thad from HPI said that this speicific picture (with orange MAX head) was shotted right before the MAIN...so it was clean at the beginning.
The one with the Purple head (Maxy Head SS12 Mega), that was shotted after the A-main...and Thad also said that he used the Serpent cleaning gum along with brushes and air compressor to clean it up..........STILL, look like a brand new car...especially the pipe and the body, almost has no scratch at all....
Old 09-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #245
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Can someone define the ROAR rules for me (or others) about Mike Blackstock's case.......I am sure he is above 1725 minimum weight before the race........but after an hour long race, just 4 foams tires, were trued from (let say...) 58mm down to 51/52mm....and those are due to RACE reason...not that he want to lose those weight at the beginning...and each tires that trued 6-7mm, the total can be GRAMS or so...

For those missing grams.............does that count FORWARD to the after race weight check....?

Mike's car is RIGHT at the 1725 gram after race............does ROAR expect racer to be weigh MORE then 1725 gram before the race and expect some lose weight and each car must be above 1725 g no matter what was missing after the race...?

Thanks for the point out.....
Currently, your car must weigh minium weight with tire wear accounted for after the race. A trick to do this is make sure your car will pass tech with one wheel off the car. Mike's car was so boarderline that they were holding up boxes around the scale to keep the wind from affecting it.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #246
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkelley
Currently, your car must weigh minium weight with tire wear accounted for after the race. A trick to do this is make sure your car will pass tech with one wheel off the car. Mike's car was so boarderline that they were holding up boxes around the scale to keep the wind from affecting it.
That is one very interesting technique to pass the tech before and after the race..........I will take note of that, cause in the future, I would like to race national and feel the excitment...

Thanks..................and I think when you are the PRO like Mr Blackstore...........even 1 single gram will make the difference....
Old 09-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #247
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

Tom--Will you be running at Larry's this winter. I would like to talk to you about a few things regarding DRCCC.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #248
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Hartzell
Tom--Will you be running at Larry's this winter. I would like to talk to you about a few things regarding DRCCC.
Yes, Actually we need to plan some off season meetings to find a new track spot next year. That process is actually ongoing.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #249
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Adam Hartzell

Great, Just lmk when the meetings are and I will attend.
Adam Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #250
Tech Initiate

So the min weight is 1725g right?

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkelley
Aaron_ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #251
Tech Addict

I've got photos of the fire itself, that won't be posted because they look much worse than what things actually were.... but just the same, the incident is a good reason for clubs to always have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case, to use water (not fuel) to cool down hot engines, and to not have people smoking in the pits. In this case, Randy Castle (the driver of the car) said that they had leaned out the engine to make time, the engine got way too hot, lots of fuel was sprayed on the engine to cool it off, and the fuel got down into and drenched the starter box. Apparently it was a spark in the starter box that set things off, but even without the car on the pit table any more, the starter box and fuel on the table were still burning - which is when the fire extinguisher came into play, creating lots of smoke and making a scary looking picture, much worse than what was actually happening.

As to the weight issue, the car needs to weigh the required amount when it comes off the track. If the tires wore down too much, or a weight fell off, or another part fell off, or for any other reason the car is under weight at the end of the event, it gets a DQ. So, you need to plan ahead and make sure your car is heavy enough at the start of the race that it will be legal at the end, running on smaller tires.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #252
Tech Adept

Luckily the starterbox battery did not explode. Can the 12V Pb explode in fire?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikemyers
I've got photos of the fire itself, that won't be posted because they look much worse than what things actually were.... but just the same, the incident is a good reason for clubs to always have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case, to use water (not fuel) to cool down hot engines, and to not have people smoking in the pits. In this case, Randy Castle (the driver of the car) said that they had leaned out the engine to make time, the engine got way too hot, lots of fuel was sprayed on the engine to cool it off, and the fuel got down into and drenched the starter box. Apparently it was a spark in the starter box that set things off, but even without the car on the pit table any more, the starter box and fuel on the table were still burning - which is when the fire extinguisher came into play, creating lots of smoke and making a scary looking picture, much worse than what was actually happening.

As to the weight issue, the car needs to weigh the required amount when it comes off the track. If the tires wore down too much, or a weight fell off, or another part fell off, or for any other reason the car is under weight at the end of the event, it gets a DQ. So, you need to plan ahead and make sure your car is heavy enough at the start of the race that it will be legal at the end, running on smaller tires.
RC Dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #253
Tech Addict

There's a series of 23 photos posted showing the start of the race. My camera can shoot at 8fps, and this is the only time I tried that during the race - several small bursts to cover everything. In hindsight, I should have just left it running at 8fps for the entire start, but I was worried that it was using up memory space way too fast.... Anyway, but for one car that bobbled, these guys showed how it should be done, with a nice clean start.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #254
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Mazda Body Location

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Thanks for the answer Brian - did you do anything special to get more steering? e.g. shorten the wheelbase?
Also did you have to cut the Protoform Mazda wing down a bit - normally they are a little higher than the roofline.
I think he did the opposite. From the talk back of his race report on mytsn, he had to dial out steering from the car to avoid traction roll.

http://www.mytsn.com/forums/forum.as...2568&pid=10619
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #255
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone know what shore tyres were used during the final?
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote