R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-07-2004, 11:09 PM   #196
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I saw that line earlier. I was just curious if they felt there was a performance advantage with this orange head compared to the Maxy head. If not, I wonder why they ran the orange head at all. Do the Maxy motors normally come with the purple head?
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:27 PM   #197
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Backfire
Yeah, I saw that line earlier. I was just curious if they felt there was a performance advantage with this orange head compared to the Maxy head. If not, I wonder why they ran the orange head at all. Do the Maxy motors normally come with the purple head?
The engine ran slightly cooler with the larger orange head. I believe the engine we used was a Maxy modified Nova Mega SX-12SS but im not 100% sure, thatís just what was written on the head when it was given to us to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00985.jpg (48.2 KB, 320 views)
Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 PM   #198
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Thad Garner
The engine ran slightly cooler with the larger orange head. I believe the engine we used was a Maxy modified Nova Mega SX-12SS but im not 100% sure, thatís just what was written on the head when it was given to us to use.
Was it slower than the other motors out there as reported? Or was this a strategic move to use a lesser horsepower motor?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM   #199
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Was it slower than the other motors out there as reported? Or was this a strategic move to use a lesser horsepower motor?
The motor provided us with useable consistent power. We probably could have ran it a touch leaner in the main but...why risk it. We checked the temperature after the main and it was under 230.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #200
Suspended

Default pics

where are the pics?
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Or we can say this....HARA won the national by using a discontinued motor..............no wonder Maxy's is wearing the Serpent head.........I find that picture very interesting.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:21 AM   #202
Tech Addict

Some who saw it said Hara's Maxy motor wasn't great on top end compared to Swauger's or Blackstock's.....but Hara had RIP in the infield on everyone up front.......looks like they chose a smaller rollout than the others for both 1st and 2nd gear.

Swauger had it together but made too many mistakes. He rolled the car early and had to come from back in 6th place early in the race. Nobody else drove as clean as Hara.....Swauger was the fastest over the course of many laps, only to make a mistake and have to do it all over again. Swauger ran Hara down at least 3-4 times, each time coming from about 3-4 seconds back or more. Swuager had it in the bag once he finally got around Hara until his reciever pack died prior to the final pit stop with only minutes left. He had about a 2-3 second lead and was pulling away slowly when the reciever pack died, leaving Blackstock in 2nd.

Blackstock had maybe 5 errors in the hour main...Hara had 2 or 3....that was the difference. Also....Hara was COOL under pressure....he only drove better when pressured...others cracked under the pressure.

Cyrul flamed out early (looked like it ran out of fuel approaching th pits for his fuel stop) and had to come back from 1 lap down, he put in a good effort for quite some time before yeilding to the leaders.

Thanks to the Toledo club....great event on a great track. I'd love to go back.
Bivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #203
Tech Master

I want to thank all the people involved in making this race happen. This was by far the most organized and well run race I have ever been to. I would love to race again in this area with this crew.

In the case of Hara's power he had more than enough. Mike swauger had the ability to catch Hara because he had alot of power and was letting it all hang out in the race. Hara on the other hand was managing his power and not burning up the rear tires. Swuager realed in Hara and passed him but once he got passed, Mike could not get away. Hara had a strategy and it worked. Maxy made a lot of power but Hara wanted a smooth power band and consistent running enigine. By the way Hara Qualified two rounds that were faster than Mike S. and Baker.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:50 AM   #204
Tech Champion

Is HARA considered a US based Driver for this year now...? He's been a lot of big and small races in US but not back home in Japan.......not sure what is the planning of him and HPI....

When can we see Masami from Yokomo to race more here in state beside the Reedy invatation race......
Old 09-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #205
Tech Addict

(Thad, please send me your email address - I have something to ask you, and some images to send you. You can email me at "mikem @ rc-racing.com". )

Anyone know for sure what happened to Mike Blackstock on that last lap? My camera was aimed at Atsushi, and I wasn't even looking at the track - wanted the image of Atsushi right after he won!
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #206
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by mikemyers
(Thad, please send me your email address - I have something to ask you, and some images to send you. You can email me at "mikem @ rc-racing.com". )

Anyone know for sure what happened to Mike Blackstock on that last lap? My camera was aimed at Atsushi, and I wasn't even looking at the track - wanted the image of Atsushi right after he won!
check your pm mike?
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #207
Tech Initiate

Rookie Solara: I've talked to Hara during practise and he said he'll be staying in the States and not going back to Japan... He'll be in Japan for the National race only....
Dave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #208
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was standing at the finish line and I think Blackstock just ran out of fuel and ended up coasting a few feet shy of the finish line. He was 2 seconds behind Hara. Another driver eventually bumped Mike across the line. Great race.
Chewdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #209
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave2004
Rookie Solara: I've talked to Hara during practise and he said he'll be staying in the States and not going back to Japan... He'll be in Japan for the National race only....
Thanks for the information..............I think the only thing I really want to see is HARA himself can spend some time (along with Thad of course) on Rctech and share some of his thought and opinion about the R40 and other stuff........

If I have to say 1 thing about R40........I would say "Lack of support" from HPI themselve.....

P.S. That is a hugh different between the R40 thread and the PRO 4 thread............
Old 09-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #210
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by mikemyers

Mike, thanks for the detail information and report......are you planning to sell the National on DVD...? Any link about the video?
Thanks...........