Good Buy???

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good Buy???

i guess im not allowed to post urls yet. i was surfing on the inter net and i found this:

1/10 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Nitro Gas Powered Ultra RTR On Road Racing Car Fire Yellow. if you copy this into google it is the first link

my son has been in to electric R/C for a while and he asked me if he could get a nitro.

i dont konw if this is a good buy and if i get it what else do i need to make it run

feedback would be helpful
Thanks...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Addict

If you plan on only using it for street use, then yes. Its OK for beginners, great to learn to drive and tune with, but thats about all it can do.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Rookie

is thier anything extra that would be a good idea to buy?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The starter kit they show looks like everything else you'd need (except fuel and maybe batteries). If you get it, i'm sure the instructions won't tell you but, you'll want to warm the engine up with a blow dryer (or heat gun) before you try to start it the first time. Hate to say this but, be careful because nitro is flammable and plastic melts. They should have an engine break-in procedure but these motors are very tight when new and you'll get blisters trying to get it running the first time. Wear gloves! Wish i'd thought of that when I had my first car.
Also, something to consider will be replacement parts. It will break and when it does, you need to think about where you're going to get parts. If you have trouble finding them now, before you get it, you might want to reconsider this car. Most people will suggest finding a local hobby shop and talking to them because they should be able to support the car if you buy it from them.
I'd also suggest trying to find someone that has run nitro before, whether off-road or on-road, it always helps to have someone there with you to help you with tuning and checking the car over to make sure it was put together right. One of the problems with ready-to-run cars is that sometimes, things aren't always put together correctly. I had a friend that had a RTR buggy that didn't have loctite in all the right places and his differential gear came off and destroyed his differential and driveshafts after only running it a couple times. It's usually a good idea to tear a RTR car down (kinda defeats the purpose huh?) and loctite any screws that screw into something metal.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recommend a Traxxas or HPI because you can get parts and all the help you will need easily.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Rookie

my neighbor is into nitro, but he hasent used his cars in 10 years
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Say good bye to this "good buy".

Nitro is not like electric. It needs some know-how and experience to handle. That being said, it is best that you work with a shop that is able to provide you good quality service and advice so that you enjoy your nitro experience as much as possible. Surfing around the Internet for some "good deal" which may come from halfway around the world is not the best thing to do if you are a beginner.

I highly suggest that you buy a quality well known name hobby brand kit that is offerred by the shop you are working with. It may cost you a little more but the end result is that you'll be using this new nitro rather than see it sit on your garage shelf. Traxxas, HPi, Associated and OFNA are good starter kits.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Say good bye to this "good buy".

Nitro is not like electric. It needs some know-how and experience to handle. That being said, it is best that you work with a shop that is able to provide you good quality service and advice so that you enjoy your nitro experience as much as possible. Surfing around the Internet for some "good deal" which may come from halfway around the world is not the best thing to do if you are a beginner.

I highly suggest that you buy a quality well known name hobby brand kit that is offerred by the shop you are working with. It may cost you a little more but the end result is that you'll be using this new nitro rather than see it sit on your garage shelf. Traxxas, HPi, Associated and OFNA are good starter kits.
I totaly agree ....^^^^....I'm trying very hard to talk a friend out of an exceed. I have an electric one that was basicly free to me. its so poor quality I don't want to even want to let my wife learn on it indoors it will not survive a coffee table hit at low speed .let alone a nitro powered one with a paper weight motor. my first nitro was a hyper7 buggy it was very easy to learn on. big enough to see when driving very easy to tune,i knew nothing about tuning and it was easy to learn on.....buy a name brand that has some tech support....nitrohouse is a good place to start.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Thier is not a hobby shop within 50mi of where i live.

if you guys say this car is crap.. what would be a good begginer car that is good quality?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrXXaSMAN
Thier is not a hobby shop within 50mi of where i live.

if you guys say this car is crap.. what would be a good begginer car that is good quality?
The answer is right on your name, Traxxas. They have good customer support from the factory with the availability of setup videos and live help via their 800 line.

Another is OFNA. You can purchase their kits through Nitrohouse.com Plenty of knowledgeable people there who are available to help.

Sorry to hear that you're all alone out there.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

ill take a look at the nirto sport
Old 11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Do yourself a favor and pick up a vehicle with a name brand engine. Nitro is already tempermental enough, you don't want to get discouraged or frustrated by a sub-par engine. I've had great luck with the traxxas 2.5 engine. I imagine the 3.3 should be just as good. I presume you are looking for an on-road car? The Traxxas 4tec 3.3 should be a good choice but i would also highly recommend the Cen CT5. I've been very impressed with the engine and design/durability of my CT5. Of course both of these cars are significantly more expensive than the exceed. Also they both hit 70ish MPH, so make sure he has adequate experience in controlling the cars because a hit at that speed could get pretty expensive. Although I have no personal experience with it, the HPI RS4 3 should also be a good choice and would be a little slower than the other 2.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I would say go for it, if you want to have some fun. They are built quite well for there price.

Also they are based here in the US so you can get pretty fast service.

They also sell all of the replacement parts for cheap, so go ahead and stock up on some of the easy ones. A-Arms hubs etc.

It should be just as good as a Traxxas, I have a neighbor with a 4-Tec, and that car has never ran right.

For the price, you can't beat it. If this is your first RC model, try the brushless cars, they are just as fast, but easier to work on.

Don't think you can go to a local track and be real competitive though.

Designer name brand is not always the best.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great Bargain!

http://kamikazercracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=9415

http://kamikazercracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=9412
Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

my son started out with a ruslter xl-5 and then upgraded it to the vxl. i Got him a stampede vxl last year for christmas, and last april i got him a 3s lipo and charger for his birthday.

i think he wants to get a nitro because of the noise, he wants it to sound tought.=D

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.