Wiki Posts
Search

Questions: Controllers, Receivers and Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Questions: Controllers, Receivers and Servos

Hi Guys,

I'm still new to this hobby and need some feedback on some of these....

1. How do you guys compare the Futaba 3pk, Airtronics M8 and KOPropo EX-10 Helios controllers? Understand that they are all about the same in terms of features and it depends on drivers preference but anything more?...

2. What's the difference between PPM and PCM modulation - which should i go for and is HRS a good feature? What else to know about receivers??

3. Understand that they have high torque and high speed servos - what are usage/applications for gas cars? High Speed for throttle, High torque for steering?? and What are some of the commonly used servos?

Hope you guys can share a thought or two as I'm considering purchasing the above equipment real soon and need to know what to consider in the process...

Thanks and cheers!

S6rs
Old 07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Questions: Controllers, Receivers and Servos

Originally posted by straightsixers
Hi Guys,

1. How do you guys compare the Futaba 3pk, Airtronics M8 and KOPropo EX-10 Helios controllers? Understand that they are all about the same in terms of features and it depends on drivers preference but anything more?...

2. What's the difference between PPM and PCM modulation - which should i go for and is HRS a good feature? What else to know about receivers??

3. Understand that they have high torque and high speed servos - what are usage/applications for gas cars? High Speed for throttle, High torque for steering?? and What are some of the commonly used servos?

Hope you guys can share a thought or two as I'm considering purchasing the above equipment real soon and need to know what to consider in the process...

Thanks and cheers!

S6rs

PPM (pulse proportional modulation) is usually an analog system. This is very precise (but not digitized). This equipment is more economical than PCM.

PCM (pulse code modulation) signals are digitized and provide the most accurate signal. A dedicated computer in the transmitter and receiver actually use binary code (pulses) in the signal.

To compare radios check out this link
http://www.nitroreview.com/TheDatabase/homeradios.cfm
Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Questions: Controllers, Receivers and Servos

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
PPM (pulse proportional modulation) is usually an analog system. This is very precise (but not digitized). This equipment is more economical than PCM.

PCM (pulse code modulation) signals are digitized and provide the most accurate signal. A dedicated computer in the transmitter and receiver actually use binary code (pulses) in the signal.

To compare radios check out this link
http://www.nitroreview.com/TheDatabase/homeradios.cfm
Thanks dude for the link. This is really easier to compare now. It seems the 3pk has more features than the other two.

Cheers and thanks mate.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:05 AM
Tech Regular

Are u sure you really want?need a radio like that? I would have thought a Airtronics MX3 or a JR XS3 would be all that most people would need. Just something to consider.
Servos, brands wise Futaba, KO and Airtronics are widely recommended but u pay for the quality. If you want you could get digital servos, they are a fair bit more expensive. I usually get the servo below the first digital in the range (best analogue). Application wise, you don't really need a super fast throttle servo, a fair few people have had good results with a simple Futaba S3003. Their cheap and very reliable. For the steering this is where more ocnsideration should be taken. For TC something with good speed and torque would be the best idea.
PCM is by far the best as it has better rangs and is the least prone to glitching,
Old 07-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

the futaba S9451 is the best steering servo i have ever used
Old 07-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Questions: Controllers, Receivers and Servos

I belive the EX-10 yields the lightest weight. HRS does required ALL DIGITAL SERVOS: both Steering and Throttle. PCM is a must if you care about Fail Safe System. For Nitro, High Speed Servo for Steering, moderate torque for Throttle--Digital or not is per preference.

Originally posted by straightsixers
Hi Guys,

Thanks and cheers!

S6rs
Old 07-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

For my case, the good old KO PDS-2143FET does just fine.

Originally posted by Team-RTR
the futaba S9451 is the best steering servo i have ever used
Old 07-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Gotta love them Ko Propo servos.
I run 2344's in my cars with my trusty Futaba 3PK.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re servo's

Hi,

I would use all the electronics of the same brand.
This will be a big plus in controlling glitsing.

I use the Airtronics M8. It's a really good radio.
I have never had any problems with it.
I use 2 94758Z Competition Digital High Speed / High Torque servo's.
Those have enough power for my Serpent 710, and are very, very fast.
My reciever is the stock version.

I don't know your budget and your wishes, but I would defenitly reccomend this radio.
To be honest, I have no experience with the Futaba radio, and Ko radio, but I'm sure these two will be very good.
The Ko servo's are very good, as well as the Airtronics servo's.
The Futaba servo's are from wath I have heard more expensive, and do not have the possibility to rebuild them and change parts.
But wath I said, I'm sure those will be good.
If you go with brands like Airtronics, Ko or Futaba I'm sure you won't get dissapointed.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what car is this radio set going into?
i reakon you should go for the KO ex-10 helios or the 3PK the M8 looks ugly!
with the steering servo try to get within the specs below
8kg of torque or higher
.1 secs of speed or faster

the guys were telling you
KO 2343 = 8kg and .08 secs
Futuba S9451 = 8.7kg and .1 secs (which is what im gonna get very soon! as it fits my budget)