R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Team Magic G4JR - What else should I do as a novice?

So, on the advice of a fellow on this forum, I have decided I'll try to sell my 1/8th GS Sonic RTR racer, hopefully for $100 or so, and put $230~ up for a TM G4JR, which seems like a good car. If someone has better advice on a car that is not more than $350 RTR shipped, go for it. I don't really want a super fast car that has no handling, as I will just crash.

I am a novice to RC cars, having only dealt with them almost a decade ago.

Do you folks have any suggestions? Things like maintenance, good sites with sound advice, good cheap part resources, etc? I would appreciate it so much.

-Ian
IanA23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

is this going to be for racing on a track?
kai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have some cones I want to use to set up my own little obstacle course, but I don't really plan to race it against other people. I just want to play around with something that isn't a rocket-on-wheels. I was thinking about the 4-tec, but it is $400 sans shipping and from what I've been reading it has no handling. Although I don't plan to race, I don't plan to just drive it straight one way and back the other.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to roach
Default g4js

the g4js is a good fun car. its a less costly g4s, parts for it are all over e-bay
for a fair price. it handles really well for a rtr. I think you will have a blast with it!.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA23 View Post
So, on the advice of a fellow on this forum, I have decided I'll try to sell my 1/8th GS Sonic RTR racer, hopefully for $100 or so, and put $230~ up for a TM G4JR, which seems like a good car. If someone has better advice on a car that is not more than $350 RTR shipped, go for it. I don't really want a super fast car that has no handling, as I will just crash.

I am a novice to RC cars, having only dealt with them almost a decade ago.

Do you folks have any suggestions? Things like maintenance, good sites with sound advice, good cheap part resources, etc? I would appreciate it so much.

-Ian
Ian, I wouldnt buy a JR RTR... Buy an ex racers G4S or G4+ etc. You might find yourself digging into your pocket too regularly.. UNLESS others around you are driving them.

I own 4 x G4's Ive seen where they cut corners etc, a preloved Mugen MTX4 is the better choice as a starter as it's much more resilient and race spec out of the box.

Lets not confuse the issue, you'll go fast for up to a month or so until it starts to wear away under the load and alike. You'l destroy te servos and likely have radio probs if it's still an AM radio that they ship. Cant remember if it comes with a CENTAX push clutch, if it's a three shoe, you'll be sighing after a few weeks with it.

Reason being, consider the radio you will get, the servos and engine amd you might be competing with race spec cars. you can get a rolling chassis and a whole pile of parts for $100

It doesnt come witha starter box and anyone convicing you you can race onroad for 350, is pulling the wool over your eyes.

The JR has wood screws which will strip your plastics and you'll soon find yourself well over budget!

I'd sell you a G4 hopped up with a spektrum radio and lots of parts, some used wheels and half decent servos + starter box for the same price. Might not look new but buy the JR and you'd wish you did.

And Im not tryin to sell you a car!
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Understandable. I have a starter box & a JRRacing XR3i 3ch radio. I don't know if that's a good radio or not. I think I have decent servos as well... they are JR Racing ones too.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Default g4js

I still say its a great car to learn on and more so if your just racing cones. I will argee the servos suck that come with it, jr servos would work also it has a push type clutch. I have'nt broken any thing on mine! in two years. so if you just having fun in a lot around cones I think its fine. if you feel you want to start racing in a club, then i would get a better car. just my thoughts.

peace
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I still say its a great car to learn on and more so if your just racing cones. I will argee the servos suck that come with it, jr servos would work also it has a push type clutch. I have'nt broken any thing on mine! in two years. so if you just having fun in a lot around cones I think its fine. if you feel you want to start racing in a club, then i would get a better car. just my thoughts.

peace

Fair enough response roach.. depends how hard you push, what engines you run and where you want to play.. Good to hear some positive feedback, I still have my G4 lemans, can get parts from Wolf or RCmanufactory... so parts arent a problem.

It IS much better than a toy/hobby car and if NEW is what you prefer, then go ahead, they are affordable and parts are reasonably priced..
Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Default g4js

hey blis...my thinking is he only wants to play around. however i do agree with you...but i couldnt think of an other car thats affordable.

peace!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
hey blis...my thinking is he only wants to play around. however i do agree with you...but i couldnt think of an other car thats affordable.

peace!
True, but Roach.. TWO YEARS and you havent changed a belt? Broken an Arm? Bro.. well done!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

if you just palying around then tell you the truth after all the things you will end up buying and upgrading your better off going used where someone has already done all that you can get a great car with pats for less that way

the g4js is a great starter car but you will be upgrading alot of the parts

blis G4 hopped up with a spektrum radio and lots of parts, some used wheels and half decent servos + starter box for the same price

that is a good deal its dsm extra parts and knowing him its be taken care of

hell i may take it lol
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by td-civ View Post
if you just palying around then tell you the truth after all the things you will end up buying and upgrading your better off going used where someone has already done all that you can get a great car with pats for less that way

the g4js is a great starter car but you will be upgrading alot of the parts

blis G4 hopped up with a spektrum radio and lots of parts, some used wheels and half decent servos + starter box for the same price

that is a good deal its dsm extra parts and knowing him its be taken care of

hell i may take it lol
lol.. TD no you wont, you'll wait for a K-Factory spec RS09, coz I said so...

And the reason Ive still got all this gear is that whether new or old, they wear and tear and I couldnt be bothered dealing with the finger pointing.

Perhaps the Pullstart option would be even better entry point.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA23 View Post
Understandable. I have a starter box & a JRRacing XR3i 3ch radio. I don't know if that's a good radio or not. I think I have decent servos as well... they are JR Racing ones too.
Ian then the radio gear you have is probably better than what comes in the RTR. Perhaps look to the JS or add another 200 and get the EVO, not that it's as good as the G4+ but it's going to be more satisfying.

Whilst we all went Spread Spectrum, the Am/FM channels are clearer than they used to be.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't do it, blis can tell you, but my JS was a pain in the wallet, there is nothing 'wrong' with the JS/JR, but it's fragile and woefully underspeced.

In the end I just spent to much on mine to have it worth the low entry price.

Having said that though, I find it hard to recommend 'anything', I don't really like many of the toys, and the real cars cost real money. LOL
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
lol.. TD no you wont, you'll wait for a K-Factory spec RS09, coz I said so...

lol hahahahahaha i didnt know about this lol i want info on this send me a link

i have like every K-factory part on or on its way for my g4rs 09
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote