R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to roach
Default No broken parts

hey blis...no never broke a part on the js...cracked two rims!. i've been racing a long time..and learned long ago..its not worth it!. Im just new to touring cars and loving it!...last season ran my rs08 w/ the worlds up grade
great car...everyone kept comming to my pit to check it out. ya know half the people didnt know what it was. some didnt even know team magic made a car!. I have the 09..just waiting for two more k-factory parts, then i'll build it..can't wait! "is it spring yet!"... do you guys balance and tweek your cars?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Having both a G4JR and an used RRR WCE have to say that the JR it's a underspecced car it's not bad though but the cost to bring up to par should scare away anyone looking for a affordable racer.I'm with blis,the Mugen MTX4 it's an sensible choice.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
hey blis...no never broke a part on the js...cracked two rims!. i've been racing a long time..and learned long ago..its not worth it!. Im just new to touring cars and loving it!...last season ran my rs08 w/ the worlds up grade
great car...everyone kept comming to my pit to check it out. ya know half the people didnt know what it was. some didnt even know team magic made a car!. I have the 09..just waiting for two more k-factory parts, then i'll build it..can't wait! "is it spring yet!"... do you guys balance and tweek your cars?
Heya Roach, yeah I have a real soft spot for the 502x cars, I was disappointed by the EVO/G4+ as it really shouldnt have had the G4+ branded, the real G4+ was a much more refined car.

My reason for not shifting to the RS09 is that I didnt feel it was up to spec, it was right for the price but nothing in comparison to the G4+. One major breakthrough I had with the 502x cars was to cut down the wheel hub balls to allow for a narrower track width. I think by tweaking (narrowing the front) them I stabilised a long time loose rear.

Whilst we are off the pace by 1.5 seconds (Top Aussie drivers) some of it is the engine we use and the rest is just more experience.

One weird issue is that the top plate doesnt migrate across from the older 07 chassis onto the RS08/EVO, the servo horn rubs against the front. So Im looking into why.

If any of you are after some cheap old spares for the earlier models, Le Mans etc, use and some new give me a pm and I might be able to help out for a dime.

Back to the JR issue, it's not a bad idea, though once purchased and happy, the next move should be acquiring a RS version whether new or second hand and using the JR as a support car. Considering you'll need hex screws on the JR just for starters, it'd make for a great backup car.

PS: Tweak, Ive found that the bottom plates and the aluminium used on TM RS cars are TOP NOTCH, so Ive had to tweak very little. Yes we've put in on balance and they are quite good.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Default team magic cars

hey blis & friends

just one more thing on the js...the only reason i thought the js would be ok was . he just wanted to run it in a lot with cones. and i only use my js now for nitro VTA racing. the rs08 i have works great it just took a bit of time finding what the car liked for the track I run on. what work best were jaco
35 rear 38 front now the cars better then me!...and i have to really work on keeping up with it.

I still can't wait to try the 09. I just need the light weigh 2 speed and one way and its ready to build. no bling..just what I think it needs to be a hard core racer...strong and light and i;ll be droping in a os xz speed engine.

what engines you guys running there in Austraila? I;ve watched the beachbums videos nice tracks down there...good racing too...

peace!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Default rs08

oh! blis i did crash the 08 once coming out of a turn at just about full speed
heading for a hair pin my finger sliped off the brake and WAM!!! hit the wall.

did about three end over ends...lol. into the grass. the marshall put the car back on the track ran an other lap and then just pulled it off...i knew some couldnt be right...well it had riped the bumper off the chaisis the three screws and nuts were still in the chasis!. put a new bumper on, and shes fine.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Don't do it, blis can tell you, but my JS was a pain in the wallet, there is nothing 'wrong' with the JS/JR, but it's fragile and woefully underspeced.

In the end I just spent to much on mine to have it worth the low entry price.

Having said that though, I find it hard to recommend 'anything', I don't really like many of the toys, and the real cars cost real money. LOL
Why? It is the same arms, hubs and bulkheads as the higher spec G4RS etc, only thing is the universals, outdrives on the diffs and the plastic drive hexes...

Interested to know why you feel this way? Thank you in advance for your time!
Mr_Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
hey blis & friends

just one more thing on the js...the only reason i thought the js would be ok was . he just wanted to run it in a lot with cones. and i only use my js now for nitro VTA racing. the rs08 i have works great it just took a bit of time finding what the car liked for the track I run on. what work best were jaco
35 rear 38 front now the cars better then me!...and i have to really work on keeping up with it.

I still can't wait to try the 09. I just need the light weigh 2 speed and one way and its ready to build. no bling..just what I think it needs to be a hard core racer...strong and light and i;ll be droping in a os xz speed engine.

what engines you guys running there in Austraila? I;ve watched the beachbums videos nice tracks down there...good racing too...

peace!!!!

Sorry Roach missed these posts..

We've been running GRP tuned, hard to get good bottom end but wind out on the top nicely and recently learned to drop a tooth or two on the 2nd pinion to really get it opening up. Should try the same for first too.

We've tried a few other engines, our best time was with a Sirio but I had too much trouble tuning it to be consistent. We've run Nova Flash and now my younger son has moved across to IC touring he's taken over the TM's and driving the EVO with one last new GRP. Guy's trying out the Shepherd V10 which leaves me the genuine G4+ took keep.

h
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Poo View Post
Why? It is the same arms, hubs and bulkheads as the higher spec G4RS etc, only thing is the universals, outdrives on the diffs and the plastic drive hexes...

Interested to know why you feel this way? Thank you in advance for your time!
Mr_Poo:

I don't think you are going to get a serious answer to your questions... If you are still looking around at RTR, have a serious look at the HoBao GPX4 RTR. It is less popular then the Team Magic, but it is similar in design to a Mugen MTX3 and will be a lot more stable in the rear then the G4. I have been struggling for 6 years now with the same issues, but i still persist with them!

Andrew
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Mr_Poo:

I don't think you are going to get a serious answer to your questions... If you are still looking around at RTR, have a serious look at the HoBao GPX4 RTR. It is less popular then the Team Magic, but it is similar in design to a Mugen MTX3 and will be a lot more stable in the rear then the G4. I have been struggling for 6 years now with the same issues, but i still persist with them!

Andrew
Andrew,

You are right, i am seriously disappointed about it. I was going to order my car this week but have my doubts about it all now!

Thank for your assistance...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:59 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Mr_Poo:

Andrew
you want the Type R GPX4.. Centax Clutch. Great entry level cars with a pullstart.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
you want the Type R GPX4.. Centax Clutch. Great entry level cars with a pullstart.
Wow Harry, you must really love your V10 at the moment... confirms my thinking!

Andrew
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Wow Harry, you must really love your V10 at the moment... confirms my thinking!

Andrew
Huh? V10 is a just a logical choice as Guy lost faith in G4 , I havent I still love my magics too... I've always liked the GPX.4R great cars and proven reliable on track.

For Mr Poo..

If you get your hands on a JR you could later find a cheap G4/RS/+ 2007 2nd hand for parts. G4's are good cars to get into racing if you have support, if you want a shot at winning, that's a different ball game and not usually in the RTR category, miracles happen. The main problem I see with a TM G4 as an entry level car is it's a Pro Tourer and it's a capable car to keep them honest with good maintenance and prep. Pro Touring also comes with a demanding set of equipment expectations, often exceeding the cars in value. So a Pullstart GPX4R is a really good hybrid, others include Edam pullstart and even consider the Pullstart kit for the G4 and it'll make it practical for a car park runner. There's nothing stopping you from running on rubbers and taking it easy, it'll alleviate the need to true foam tyres. It's a spec car, all the geometry options are at your fingertips and it's great value for what it is... just consider your running costs and buy an RC car to suit.

Last edited by blis; 05-31-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Huh? V10 is a just a logical choice as Guy lost faith in G4 , I havent I still love my magics too... I've always liked the GPX.4R great cars and proven reliable on track.

For Mr Poo..

If you get your hands on a JR you could later find a cheap G4/RS/+ 2007 2nd hand for parts. G4's are good cars to get into racing if you have support, if you want a shot at winning, that's a different ball game and not usually in the RTR category, miracles happen. The main problem I see with a TM G4 as an entry level car is it's a Pro Tourer and it's a capable car to keep them honest with good maintenance and prep. Pro Touring also comes with a demanding set of equipment expectations, often exceeding the cars in value. So a Pullstart GPX4R is a really good hybrid, others include Edam pullstart and even consider the Pullstart kit for the G4 and it'll make it practical for a car park runner. There's nothing stopping you from running on rubbers and taking it easy, it'll alleviate the need to true foam tyres. It's a spec car, all the geometry options are at your fingertips and it's great value for what it is... just consider your running costs and buy an RC car to suit.
Blis:

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I have found so much negative comments about Team Magic on this forum with my research, yourself and Bundy have been very helpful which i appreciate so thank you.

I think Bundy is upset cause he is still having issues with the rear of his car and not much assistance as he is part of a dying breed.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Poo View Post
Blis:

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I have found so much negative comments about Team Magic on this forum with my research, yourself and Bundy have been very helpful which i appreciate so thank you.

I think Bundy is upset cause he is still having issues with the rear of his car and not much assistance as he is part of a dying breed.
No worries man, glad i can help... Enjoy your new Tyre Truer and Run In Bench when they arrive, it will certainly make life easier!

Andrew
Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

Quote:
No worries man, glad i can help... Enjoy your new Tyre Truer and Run In Bench when they arrive, it will certainly make life easier!

Andrew
Andrew

Yeah can't wait for my new toys, it looks like it has been dispatched today! Will let you know shortly about your offer on car.

Thanks