R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Nitro? yo.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/44618-nitro-yo.html)

The Black Kat 07-07-2004 11:59 PM

Nitro? yo....

Hey, Had a few questions in general about nitro, I'm an electric dude. Plan on racing regularly at RAMS RC (site of the 2004 ROAR Nationals) if I get into nitro

I noticed they run both 235 & 200 10th scale in the same class. Does one have a big advantage over the other? I'm heavily biased toward getting an NTC3 but if i'm gonna get my big rear end kicked I'll save the change for a 235 or an 8th

What would be a better class around here to enter? 1/8 or 1/10th open? I wanna get started off on the right foot and with a good car right off if possible. I'm sellin a bunch of the electric stuff I got so I can get some Nitro stuff if I want.

Just any help you can give to a Nitro newb would be appriciated...Anything from the best brands of everything and general info, differences from electric to nitro...anything please

Team-RTR 07-08-2004 05:59 AM

if your starting off in nitro stick to tourer, 1/8 is simply too expensive to run, as far as 235mm goes, that class has been deleted from the IFMAR calendar so that class officially doesnt exist anymore. the NTC3 is fairly fragile, if your after something shaft driven look at the OFNA LD3, its excellent for the price and you wont be dissapointed, or the KYOSHO FW-05R / OFNA CD3 are also excellent shaft driven car. if your new to nitro you might wanna look at getting an OS motor, they are quite easy to tune and their TR motors are powerful. dont sell your electric chargers, or keep one as you will need a charger for your receiver pack, as long as your charger can do 5 cells it will be fine.

Marcos.J 07-08-2004 08:20 AM

Re: Nitro? yo....

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Hey, Had a few questions in general about nitro, I'm an electric dude. Plan on racing regularly at RAMS RC (site of the 2004 ROAR Nationals) if I get into nitro

I noticed they run both 235 & 200 10th scale in the same class. Does one have a big advantage over the other? I'm heavily biased toward getting an NTC3 but if i'm gonna get my big rear end kicked I'll save the change for a 235 or an 8th

What would be a better class around here to enter? 1/8 or 1/10th open? I wanna get started off on the right foot and with a good car right off if possible. I'm sellin a bunch of the electric stuff I got so I can get some Nitro stuff if I want.

Just any help you can give to a Nitro newb would be appriciated...Anything from the best brands of everything and general info, differences from electric to nitro...anything please

if you are just starting out i would stick to touring class like Team-RTR said, i've been racing for almost 6 years and i tried the 1/8 th scale class and it is expensive!

n1technik 07-08-2004 10:36 AM

if you want to race at rams, do not go with any of those kits mentioned earlier. well ntc3 might be ok but it wouldn't be the best choice.
well as far as 235 goes, you will see more cars out there after national. me and couple of guys are thinking about bringing that class back. and it would be with sedan bodies.
but you will have to spend alot more money for something that's outdated.
now.. 8th scale. i'm sorry to say but it's gonna be way over your head. let me break this down for you.
controller(decent FM) - $200
car (used mrx-3)- $400?
engine (econo/sports)-$200
tires-$40
fuel -$30
well that's $870 for going with cheapo setup that you are not going to be happy with for long time. and now u gotta add, starter box,spares, setup blocks, tools etc.
oh and don't forget, every race costs $15 plus, half gallon of fuel $15, 1 set of tires $40 plus spares. that's $70 plus for one race.
oh and here's the list for what most ppl have at rams
car (mrx-3,serpent,kyosho??) - $600
engine -$500+
radio (including 2 digital servos) $500
tires (5 sets at least) -$150 +
fuel- $30
setup system (board,gauges,blocks ets)-$170
tire truer- $400
tools -$200+
spares- $100+

well that's $2650+. so you see where i'm going at? not cheap.

best car to run at rams would be, MTX-3 or maybe 710. but if you run mtx-3 you won't have to worry about buying spares because most touring guys do have them. it would be easy to find setup and drive.

The Black Kat 07-08-2004 12:00 PM

Thank you all...

I already got some stuff (good FM radio, some servos, a good charger) so I got somewhat of a jump

MTX-3...I thought the MTX-4 was comming out real soon?

Where can I get replacement parts for an Ofna if I went that route? My LHS's don't carry Ofna

1/2 gallon of fuel for $15???? WTF, I can get a gallon for $20 over at Hobbyworld

The Black Kat 07-08-2004 12:22 PM

Wait a sec....bleh...EDIT

Theres no good deals on eBay for an MTX-3....anyone know of anyone who got one for sale?

How much worse is the MTX-2 OOC?

And would I really be off badly if I got an NTC3 and a bunch of pinion/spur gears

Number 11 07-08-2004 01:14 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the NTC3 I have 2 and run at 2 different tracks for 2 1/2 years. I haven't broken anything in the time I have owned them. Maybe bent a bumper here, pivot balls here and there but other than that it has been strong. I don't know why people say the car is fragile I guess if you run into the boards then any car is fragile. Anyhow my suggestion get a NTC3 parts are widely available.

fraz 07-09-2004 11:19 AM

There is nothing wrong with the MTX-2. I'll tell you what. I have one very tricked out with many spare parts that I will let go for cheap if you want to get started in nitro. I will be racing 1/8 scale at RAMS this weekend so come by and see me and I can answer any questions you may have.

The Black Kat 07-09-2004 11:27 AM

I'll still be at RAMS this Sunday but I'm not getting into Nitro...

I simply couldn't afford it. From what I hear it'd cost atleast $50 a race day to race

Race Fee -$15
Foam Tires -$40
Fuel -$10

I simply can't afford that which sucks because RAMS races twice a month and thats the one of the only two places I can race nitro or electric at without a ride (which I don't have)

The Black Kat 07-09-2004 04:28 PM

Hey

I have a sence that the guys at RC Racing arn't telling the truth

So can you guys give me some true info:

How many race days does a gallon of nitro last

How many race days would a good set of foam tires last too?

PSI Racing 07-09-2004 04:47 PM

Originally posted by The Black Kat
I'll still be at RAMS this Sunday but I'm not getting into Nitro...

I simply couldn't afford it. From what I hear it'd cost atleast $50 a race day to race

Race Fee -$15
Foam Tires -$40
Fuel -$10

I simply can't afford that which sucks because RAMS races twice a month and thats the one of the only two places I can race nitro or electric at without a ride (which I don't have)

That's not true about the tires.
You could get foams for under $10 a pair.
1 gallon of fuel cost about $20, and I don't think you'll be using half a gallon of fuel to race.

PSI Racing 07-09-2004 04:54 PM

My bad.
Maybe the tires are a little more than $10 a pair.
http://www.kinetixrc.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=24
I've seen some around for $9.50 a pair.
You just have to shop around.

Rapid Roy 07-09-2004 04:57 PM

For touring car a typical race day is 2 heats and a main. The heats are usually 5 mins long. Uses one tank 75cc plus a bit that you topped off after warming up, just before the race starts. You can say 100cc per heat. Then for the main. It really depends on how long they are. 10 mins would include the warm up and 2 tanks of 75cc. If the mains are longer, just figure 75cc per 5 min of run time. If the main is 20 or 30 min then I could see using upwards of 1/2 gallon.

With the foam tires, again with touring cars, the cost for a good set is probably closer to $25. If you true the tires down, you can use a set up in a race day easy. I think thats what they are talking about. The thing that starts to really drive up the cost is when the mains become longer, but hey, thats a LOT of racing.

If you race parking lot, usually the mains are still 5 minutes. If you run rubber or uncut foams, you can get 2 or 3 races out of a set of tires.

PSI Racing 07-09-2004 05:09 PM

A lot of people are using the newer tires out on the market with a lot of success.
They're about half the cost of the Ellegi's with the same or better performance.
With the gas, a group of us (around 4) usually shares a gallon of gas, and it last us.
If you go all out, then I could see someone spending that much money for a race day.

The Black Kat 07-09-2004 05:18 PM

OOC: How many CC in a gallon?

If a set of un-trued foams will last me 4 race days then thats a whole different story :nod: