R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Please help.The good and the bad of current cars. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/44504-please-help-good-bad-current-cars.html)

speed2004 07-08-2004 09:20 PM

any feedback on the K car?

jeffreylin 07-08-2004 10:04 PM

I think I've given you most if not all of the pros and cons of the Kyosho. I am waiting to see what the RRR will do too, it does look like a scaled down Evolva and should be interesting.

While I am not trying to pick a car, I am interested in hearing the pros and cons of the different cars. Instead of saying this suck and mine is best, can we try to be more objective and also discuss the weak point of YOUR and not someone else's car? I tried to do that and I think you will agree it's useful.

soc123_au 07-08-2004 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Z00M
The V2 rear suspension was only released in March '04 for the NTC3. The diff gears that were an issue(black ones) were updated as a running change. The Factory Team edition came out in March as well. Just because they don't rename the model, doesn't mean it hasn't improved.

I'm sure if this was Serpent it would have been called the 716 by now :lol: :lol: ;)

/puts on his flame proof suit :batman:

Well said, The NTC3 has been out for about 2 and a half years. If it aint broke dont fix it. As for where is it on the leader board ask Barry Baker.

soc123_au 07-08-2004 10:23 PM

Originally posted by jeffreylin

While I am not trying to pick a car, I am interested in hearing the pros and cons of the different cars. Instead of saying this suck and mine is best, can we try to be more objective and also discuss the weak point of YOUR and not someone else's car? I tried to do that and I think you will agree it's useful.

My pros & cons on the NTC3

Pros
Easy to maintain
Cheap for parts
Still easy to drive if the set up isnt spot on
On rails when set up correctly for the conditions
Plenty of aftermarket support (not that it needs it)
Plenty of tuning/set up info available online
Great acceleration
Plenty of factory support ie tuning options at affordable prices
Doesnt become obselete every 6 months

Cons
Carbon parts are a bit brittle (stay off the boards)
one way & solid diff gears strip easily when you have a hit. (again stay off the boards)
Diff case/shock tower design prone to breakage ( get "the fix for $10.00)
Car pushes in high speed corners ( V2 addresses problem)
Rear toe links change settings (V2 fixes problem)

I wouldnt trade mine for any other car

:nod: :nod:

Z00M 07-08-2004 10:36 PM

No point flogging the dead horse, Speed already owns an FT NTC3 he said. Any wonder he's having trouble trying to find a better car ;) .

As for the pro's with my car:

Was cheap on ebay (relatively)
Parts were dime a dozen
Car is very forgiving in it's handling
Setup from Barry works a treat
Don't need monster horsepower to be competitive

Cons:

Was told my motor must be illegal to be 2 laps in 5 mins faster than my old car! Was same motor from old car.
Bought a whole bunch of spares that I haven't used yet.
Not sure how it's going to handle another .5 of a horsepower sunday week :D

As for the Hyper10 Pro Nitro:

Pro's:

Held motor off ground
Somewhere to bolt rims

Cons:
Broke easily!
No option parts
Gearbox/belt clearances issue from the factory
Was about 18mm shorter than the current crop of cars and you had to change the wheel cutouts on a standard 200mm body.
Just generally sucked.

frozenpod 07-09-2004 07:28 AM

The Hyper 10 is a pice of shit don't buy it. They handel crap and have a really bad design that needs lots of back yard engineering to get right. Don't waste your time to save a few bucks on this thing you will spend more on it in a month than what you have saved.

Serpent 710 is awsome out of the box handels great fast free drive train for belt drive easy to setup with cool adjustable shocks, parts are very very cheap but is weak. The car comes with every thing you need other than a motor out of the box.

FT NTC 3 awsome came 4th behind 3 serpent 710's at the summernats in front of about 20 V1RR's and MTX3's
Is a little bit weak not much good for brand new racers. I would recomend this to anyone that has any experience at racing and is after a fast good handle car that is prepared to break the odd part.

FW05-R best shock awsomely fast needs a one-way very tough except for one part of the front suspension. I guess there has to be a point at which it gives. Can be made stronger but then what will break instead!!

MTX 3 speaks for itself great car one of the best avaliable.

If you were to choose either the MTX3 NTC3 710 FW you would be competitive it will only come down to setup and driving ability.

I personally would buy ether the 710 or the FW05-R depending on LHS what they stock parts for and the price.

speed2004 07-09-2004 07:31 AM

Jeff we must think a like:)

It's not so much about what is better and why.

It is cool to see what people love and hate about their cars.

Everyone is starting to say the same thing.

Yes I have FT NTC3 and 710, in a perfect world both these cars fail.

Lets carry on with a intellegent conversation.

from what I know ( and I could be wrong) the Mugen still uses fluid diffs.

am I right?

Does anyone still think these are better? and why?

Also lets talk about belt VS Shaft. but not in the way of: "this is faster then that"

Lets talk about weight dist and ease of layout.

lets talk about belt layout,

It's so much about the car I want to buy, hell I might buy every single one until I find a car that suites my needs.

Lets just discuss layouts and features.

anyone up for this?

840918001 07-09-2004 07:46 AM

Hi,

I have no experience with the Mugen and Asso.

A friend of my has a Kyosho Fw 05R.
I have driven the car several times and it feels very good.
The parts are all very nice, and the shocks are superb!
They feel extremely smooth.

I have a Serpent 710, and it's better for me than the Kyosho.
The drivetrain is very smooth, and the centax 3 is absolutly great!
The parts are of the highest possible quality!
And it's a plus that serpent keeps improving things all the time.
There are a lot of hop-up's to find from Serpent.

There are no reely bad cars.
Some are more easy to drive, but the cars you are comparing all have graet things.

Go with the car you like best.
You don't have to go with the car that your local shop is supporting.
Parts of all these cars are easy to find through the net.

soc123_au 07-09-2004 04:38 PM

Originally posted by speed2004
Lets carry on with a intellegent conversation.

from what I know ( and I could be wrong) the Mugen still uses fluid diffs.

am I right?

Does anyone still think these are better? and why?

Also lets talk about belt VS Shaft. but not in the way of: "this is faster then that"

Lets talk about weight dist and ease of layout.

Fluid diffs have their advantages, I must admit there are times I have wished the NTC3 had them. They are generaly more durable & a lot less maintainance than a ball diff. But I also like the adjustment of the ball diffs. If given a choice between a good quality Gear or Ball diff to suit my car I am not sure which I would choose.

Belt VS Shaft is an easy one, shaft everyday. No belts & pulleys to change, simple lay out for easy maintanance with shaft drive.

The reasons I like alot of things seems to come down to ease & speed of maintaining the car. I dont have the time to constantly rebuild things. At our track when I am not driving I am running race control, & when I race at other tracks I have to keep my 2 Kids on the track as well. So I need a car that doesnt require constant fiddling with.

frozenpod 07-11-2004 10:55 PM

I would choose a car on it's diff's they both have equal pro's and cons I would love the adjustablity of ball diff's.

InitialD 07-11-2004 11:22 PM

Originally posted by soc123_au
Fluid diffs have their advantages, I must admit there are times I have wished the NTC3 had them.
I can understand you coming from the NTC3 background. Their diffs and drivetrain require a lot of maintenance work and upkeeping to get it in good shape.

Not all ball diffs are bad. Take a look at the 710 ball diffs. They are almost bullet proof with external adjustability. The balls and the diff plates do not wear.

Belt VS Shaft is an easy one, shaft everyday. No belts & pulleys to change, simple lay out for easy maintanance with shaft drive.
Not sure which belt car in particular you're referring to but not ALL belt cars are difficult to change pulleys and belts.

The reasons I like alot of things seems to come down to ease & speed of maintaining the car.
That's ironic. From what I see, the NTC3 needs to be maintained regularly or else you're just asking for trouble.