R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1066
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
You can put a 21tooth pinion and the smallest 2nd gear spur on and that's about all you can do. You can run your rear tires a little larger (76mm) too.
Larger rear tires? That's something I have never come across in off road. SO it means as your rear tires gets eaten by the asphalt your car becomes slower.
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #1067
Tech Rookie

I am using an Exceed High Torque metal gear servo. THe servo horn is just the standard one that comes with the car. Im starting to think that it's the servo horn because no matter what I do, there is never enough clearance.
steze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1068
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggietiu View Post
Larger rear tires? That's something I have never come across in off road. SO it means as your rear tires gets eaten by the asphalt your car becomes slower.
Yes, as your tires get smaller you will have more torque but less top end because it changes your final drive ratio. A lot is determined by your clutch setting as well as far as the torque goes that is.

I usually start my tires at 72mm to 74mm for quals. I will start them at 76mm for a long main. There is a noticeable speed difference between say a 76mm tire and a 69mm or 70mm tire. Changing tire diameters to get top speed is not where I would go to get that. I would only use gearing. Changing the tire diameter will change the handle of the car.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #1069
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steze View Post
I am using an Exceed High Torque metal gear servo. THe servo horn is just the standard one that comes with the car. Im starting to think that it's the servo horn because no matter what I do, there is never enough clearance.
I think you are right that it is the stock servo arm. You need to use a thinner metal one like a Hudy or TLR and it should be fine. I am using a KO RSX with the TLR metal arm. I have about 1mm of gap.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #1070
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggietiu View Post
I am kinda conused cause there are two sets of gears that you need to consider. If I make the pinion (clutch bell ) bigger by one teeth. Do I need to do it for both the first and second gear pinion? Would the dynamics for off road spur configuration i.e. smaller spur for more top end and bigger for more bottom applies?

Also there are other pulleys included in the kit, are those useful for gaining top end speed or low end torque. Do they go in set? I wish that there is a table or cross reference or different gearing. I know about FDR but not sure why they do it in the different setup sheet.
The way Xray have designed the pinions and spurs, you can change one without changing the other. I am pretty sure you can use any gearing combo without changing the gear mesh. Yes bigger pinion and smaller spur is more top end. You can change only the 2nd gear pinion and leave the 1st one alone.

As far as the kit pullys go, it is for overdrive or underdrive of the drivetrain. They are not used for topspeed or torque.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #1071
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

E rock,

Cool bro, it's clearer now. Under or over driving. So the smaller pulleys over drives either the front or rear of the car. So it means stock setup is balanced? Tia
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #1072
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
I think you are right that it is the stock servo arm. You need to use a thinner metal one like a Hudy or TLR and it should be fine. I am using a KO RSX with the TLR metal arm. I have about 1mm of gap.
Thanks mate. Your help is appreciated
steze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1073
Tech Elite

Sure thing. Your very welcome.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1074
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know this a stupid question. But do any of you 1/8 onroad owners run regular/ not lola style bodies? And if so which ones?
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #1075
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Radio Help

Hello,

Just purchased a RX8 today and it is going to be my first adventure into nitro on-road. While I was at the National race watching today I noticed what seemed to be 90% of the racers running KO Propo radios, can someone explain the reason for this? I have a Radiopost radio now and am starting to think I might need to switch brands.

Thanks!
odanota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #1076
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

your RP will be fine i am using one my self just make sure it is not having any issues the green servo's are sufficient if not over kill protek has a 2300ma lipo that fits and work great

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #1077
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
your RP will be fine i am using one my self just make sure it is not having any issues the green servo's are sufficient if not over kill protek has a 2300ma lipo that fits and work great
Thank you for the info. Glad to hear people are using Radiopost for on-road was not looking forward to dropping 600 on a new radio!
odanota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #1078
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default 2012 upgrade kit

Anyone out there selling the 2012 upgrade kit?

Or a roller for a decent price?
SEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #1079
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bump. I picked up a 2013 spec to race next year. My first 8th scale ride. What breaks on these? What are the weak links? Gonna start stockpiling parts now so any info would be great
Giant655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #1080
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 180 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant655 View Post
Bump. I picked up a 2013 spec to race next year. My first 8th scale ride. What breaks on these? What are the weak links? Gonna start stockpiling parts now so any info would be great
Nothing is weak sorry.. so your not gonna buy parts..

This is the parts you need for spare.
Belts
Clutch shoe
Clutch spring
Set of spur gears and pinion gears
Bearings
Front upper and lower arms
Bumper.
pinoy69racer is offline   Reply With Quote