Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
finally a Xray 1/8 >

finally a Xray 1/8

finally a Xray 1/8

Old 12-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
A "plastic car" is still world champion so aluminium is not a factor or not a huge factor.

But next WC it will be interesting with all those new brands and the already succesfull MRX5
Hey Roelof,

different place for a discussion this time...

Tell me, isn`t a WC won by the quality of the driver skills, in other words,
not the quality of the car only think that is only 20%.
We a;l focus on the car they drive and want to have the same as the champion, but we should want to have there skills really...

Mark my words, in 2 years we all drive aluminum cars with plastic suspension parts, its far more durable for a john doe...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Lord

It is all about the complete package, you can have the best driver but if the engine or car is not the best than it is difficult to get on top.

It is interesting that most cars are aluminium and the "plastic" Kyosho is stil on top, but will it stay there? The MRX5 did gave a boost to most Mugen drivers and maybe we will see the Xray and Capricorn getting in the top-10. I wonder how Serpent will perform at the WC, there is not much changed in the past 2 years, can they keep up with the rest?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wasn't a big believer in the aluminum car either until I got a Shepherd. That thing is amazing. I still think plastic does have some benefits though.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Plastic vs aluminum has more to do with cost vs product turn around than performance.....

It costs more money to mold plastics and manufacturers are turning to aluminum because they can pass the cost to the buyer and justify it with materials....

Just my opinion... Aluminum bulk heads look great though
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Confussed aluminum is cheaper so u would think the prices would go down a bit but not the prices keep increasing
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rbakker
Hey Roelof,

different place for a discussion this time...

Tell me, isn`t a WC won by the quality of the driver skills, in other words,
not the quality of the car only think that is only 20%.
We a;l focus on the car they drive and want to have the same as the champion, but we should want to have there skills really...

Mark my words, in 2 years we all drive aluminum cars with plastic suspension parts, its far more durable for a john doe...
The car still has to finsh a hour long main without any problems. That and good driven skills is what wins World Championships.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
The car still has to finsh a hour long main without any problems. That and good driven skills is what wins World Championships.
Ok, thats a fact, but what is the "harmonic balance" you where talking about, still dont know that principle, cann you explain it to me?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats to xray and mike!!!!! That was a hell of a signing!!!! Now he is in faster cars it is going to be on this year. Paul,Ralph, and mike how can anybody in the USA match that? I still remember the show mike put on at 301 in the Capitol classic. 17 sec laps at 301 that was stuipd fast. Will mike stay with novarossi or will he run maxpower!!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Paul,Ralph, and mike how can anybody in the USA match that?
Serpent can. Paolo, Toso, Chicky. Too bad they can't quite match in another area
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Drew,

Could you explain a few things that you are saying? Dont know what you mean,
maybe its the langauge barrier, so i dont understand it right?
In technical facts, what will the "harmonic balance" do?
Will there be a vibration in the car that will reach the eigenvalue off the design, so it will self destruct. Or do you mean it will be bad for fatique off the parts? Do you know a example of a car that has gone over the fatique strenght.
Or will it be bad for the electronic parts, aren`t they isolated by hanging them in rubbers.

What technical principle will be bad for the handling?

And lets say a car producer will make a 1000+ kits of a car, will the production of the aluminum parts really be cheaper then the injection molding?

Aint trying to piss on you, but i cant think off a negative technical principle,
maybe i dont know the harmonic balance, then will you explain that to me.

Kind regards,

Roy
An injection molding tool costs easily 50-100K$.
If you are not running huge numbers, CNC-machined aluminum is way cheaper.
Another factor is, that if you want to change a part, it's a matter of reprogramming the CNC equipment compared to building a new molding tool...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stefan
Another factor is, that if you want to change a part, it's a matter of reprogramming the CNC equipment compared to building a new molding tool...
If machining alu bulkheads is so cheap, why would a slightly bigger mould kost 100K$..? Think they really used plastic because its really cheap, man hours are a lot less.

Why is a bulkhead from a Capricorn around 50 dollar and an xray around 8 dollar.

Either way, i think it all has to do with marketing. Aluminum bulkheads etc. are far better for 99% of the drivers, will see what the future brings.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Serpent can. Paolo, Toso, Chicky. Too bad they can't quite match in another area
Toso isn't running serpent 1/8 anymore so I heard any way mike is the fastest 1/8 driver in the USA. Toso is the most balanced he is equally fast with 1/10 and 1:8 onroad. He would be the fastest if he would go back to kyosho or go to xray those cars are faster. Those other cars we slower than his kyosho that used to run. Face it Ralph, and Paul dominate 1/10 nitro here and mike owns in 1/8 scale nitro in the USA.= total us domination!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Once I have broken the Mmod MRX4 short middle shaft holder and it looks like it was molded too. I am not supprised if a lot of complex alu parts are molded.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Ok, thats a fact, but what is the "harmonic balance" you where talking about, still dont know that principle, cann you explain it to me?

Its the vibration that comes from the engine that in return goes thru the whole car. Plastic kills off some of that vibration where alum just extends it. Hope that helps its hard for me to explain on here.

Thanks Drew
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefan
True, it's all about the cost. I still don't know what advantage if any aluminum bulkheads provide.

BTW, I think the Xray press release pic looks better than redrc's
http://teamxray.com/teamxray/showima...1612df2ded58a4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.