R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #46
Tech Adept
 
FaanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 176
Default

It doesn't matter what it is made from - you are still going to be paying through your nose. X-Ray = BIG $$$$$
FaanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #47
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboShop View Post
Congrats to xray and mike!!!!! That was a hell of a signing!!!! Now he is in faster cars it is going to be on this year. Paul,Ralph, and mike how can anybody in the USA match that? I still remember the show mike put on at 301 in the Capitol classic. 17 sec laps at 301 that was stuipd fast. Will mike stay with novarossi or will he run maxpower!!
He will still be running Nova Rossi.

Thanks Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #48
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaanP View Post
It doesn't matter what it is made from - you are still going to be paying through your nose. X-Ray = BIG $$$$$

What?? Map pricing on the car is $675.00 US. Thats priced close to all the other cars.

Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #49
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *gk* View Post
True, it's all about the cost. I still don't know what advantage if any aluminum bulkheads provide. [/url]
Durability...
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #50
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
If machining alu bulkheads is so cheap, why would a slightly bigger mould kost 100K$..? Think they really used plastic because its really cheap, man hours are a lot less.

Why is a bulkhead from a Capricorn around 50 dollar and an xray around 8 dollar.

Either way, i think it all has to do with marketing. Aluminum bulkheads etc. are far better for 99% of the drivers, will see what the future brings.
Sorry man...

I have to disagree with you...

Molds cost ALOT more than CNC Machining.

So the break-even point (where the sales turn into profits) are ALOT higher when using molds.

Thats why companies have changed to CNC machining. They can make profit right from the first few pieces they sell. And the most important reason why cnc machining is superior is because they can change the design without having to invest in a new mold. They can just reprogram the CNC machine to a new design.

One mold can cost up to 5k vs a cnc machine can cost around that price, but can be programmed to machine all the bulkheads and other aluminum parts with the same machine.
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #51
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
Its the vibration that comes from the engine that in return goes thru the whole car. Plastic kills off some of that vibration where alum just extends it. Hope that helps its hard for me to explain on here.

Thanks Drew
Ok, but then i still dont know why that should make a car slower or that the car would break down faster. That was the point.
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Durability...
Guess you have not ran many alum cars before. I have bent and seen people bend alum bulkheads in electric racing, so I can only guess at 60 to 70 mph alum will bend and tweak.

Thanks Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #53
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post

One mold can cost up to 5k vs a cnc machine can cost around that price, but can be programmed to machine all the bulkheads and other aluminum parts with the same machine.
So a mould costs around 5000 dollar you say and the cnc milling machine also around 5000 dollar.
A cnc machine they use will be around 300.000 dollar and they are setup for a few parts, not the hole line. Also they are not all automated with a loading robot.. so, man hours.

I designed my own small tabletop mill, that`s a machine of xyz 8x4x3.5 inch...
That one only costs 15.000+ dollar...

Xray just dont switch because they have all the money in the moulding machines.

Drive xray by the way, so aint trying to bash them, just dont agree on some marketing principles.
Attached Thumbnails
finally a Xray 1/8-last-mill-2010.jpg  
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #54
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
Guess you have not ran many alum cars before. I have bent and seen people bend alum bulkheads in electric racing, so I can only guess at 60 to 70 mph alum will bend and tweak.

Thanks Drew
Might take you on for a 1 on 1 lap...(with my own designed full aluminum/composit car..)
Really then you have to go of the track so hard... that doesn`t happen too much nowadays..
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Durability...
yield strength of aluminum is different than that of a good plastic mixture, meaning when you hit something (depending on impact force) aluminum part will most likely not return to its original shape and you end up with tweak sometimes not even noticing it. If it was only about the durability, why not use aluminum everywhere, arms etc...
*gk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #56
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *gk* View Post
yield strength of aluminum is different than that of a good plastic mixture, meaning when you hit something (depending on impact force) aluminum part will most likely not return to its original shape and you end up with tweak sometimes not even noticing it. If it was only about the durability, why not use aluminum everywhere, arms etc...
Because they are loaded in a different situation, the plastic suspension is the breaking spot....

Last edited by rbakker; 12-23-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: langauge barrier
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #57
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Might take you on for a 1 on 1 lap...(with my own designed full aluminum/composit car..)
Really then you have to go of the track so hard... that doesn`t happen too much nowadays..
You forget one thing here in the US we have boards, not grass. So it does not take much. And just like you said $50 for a alum bulkhead or $8 for a plastic. I am going with plastic if I break it ,its $8. To where if I bend it, its $50.

Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #58
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
You forget one thing here in the US we have boards, not grass. So it does not take much. And just like you said $50 for a alum bulkhead or $8 for a plastic. I am going with plastic if I break it ,its $8. To where if I bend it, its $50.

Drew
It`s all markething....Drew
It`s so clear... problem is we started to believe it ourselfs..
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Xray just dont switch because they have all the money in the moulding machines.
BTW, Xray has more cnc than moulding machines in house. I was at the factory several times in the past, most recently month ago. You can also see it in their catalog. So your argument doesn't hold. But you're free to come up with your reasoning...
*gk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #60
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *gk* View Post
BTW, Xray has more cnc than moulding machines in house. I was at the factory several times in the past, most recently month ago. You can also see it in their catalog. So your argument doesn't hold. But you're free to come up with your reasoning...
So then forget about the moulding machines..
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread H0LESH0T Electric Off-Road 11250 10-02-2017 04:07 PM
Which 1/8 buggy for my budget/experience level? chris_akl Nitro Off-Road 20 05-01-2010 05:16 PM
Xray T2, 1/8 buggy, engines, setup station and more megaracer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 22 07-29-2008 02:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net