R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default just wondering how to save money on rc 1/8 on road as ive just started and havent got

hi people ive just started the hobby not long ago had a few cars now i have a kyosho evolva m3 and was wondering how i can spend wisely.e.g tyres how long would they last in practace and how many times would they need to be replaced.pistons and liners and conrod how many times would they need to be replaced.as i havent got tons of cash and love the hobby just want to know how much it will cost each time i go out to practace excluding the crashing car damage just the running cost i want to find out on 1/8 on road roughly.

thanks people
kyoshoevolvam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Tyres will need to get replaced somewhere between 4-6 race meets I believe. They should last anywhere between a month to 1.5 months if you only use them for racing, otherwise if you use them while practising, they will obviously wear out faster that way since you are using them more often - as you would clearly see.
As for engines, when you get a new engine, you should replace the conrod after you finish breaking it in plus another 0.5lt-1/8 of a gallon on top to be sure. Then once you have put in the new conrod, you should run the engine as if you are still breaking it in, because you still have to run in that new rod you just put in. Some don't even bother with replacing the first rod many litres/gallons after break-in and it runs fine. But it's better to change it within the first 4 litres/1 gallon to be on the safe side - it's better to spend the extra $40 for a rod and working engine than to risk losing $400 or more!
With the piston and sleeve, you can't change only one of them in ringless piston engines such as these, you can in a 4-stroke with rings, but these engines have matched pistons to the sleeves they are in, so you can only buy them as a set. The only time you would change these is when:
a) something goes wrong and it won't run any more.
b) it gets worn out, won't hold its sompression any more and is hard to keep running.
c) it breaks!

Then you have to run in the whole engine once again as if it were like new.

I think for cars like the Evolva M3, you should run the engines on 20%, compared to 16% for 1/10 onroad. Im not sure on what would be better for 1/8 as I don't race that class (yet ) but I'm sure somebody on these forums would know for certain.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To correct the previous post, you will need 2-5 sets of tires per race day, depending on the tire wear at you're track.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Tech Addict

True, i didnt actually say how many you would actually need on a race day, only how long that particular set should roughly last.
You should always have a few sets front and rear just incase you need to change compounds, you get some chunking or something just goes wrong and you need a new set.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You need that many sets because they wont last you more than 1 race day. No way one set of tires will last you 4 race meets.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
Tech Adept

How many conrods do u keep spare

Cheers
kyoshoevolvam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Tech Addict

well you definitely wont get the same performance of new Vs old, but the amount of useable foam would last that long if you run em to the rims!
For serious racing, yes you need that many. For the type of racing I do (mainly) then you could use 1 set for the whole day as it wouldnt really affect the handling of the car. Not saying im right - your wrong, you are right but I am saying that it can be done, its just not advised. Even I dont advise it.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Depending also on tire wear if your on a track that has high tire wear you will go thru some sets but if your just practicing run them out of the box to save some money
as for rods most of the time keep a spare rod or two check your equipment after racing to see if there's any wear or after every gallon always do a maintenance check your motor is the most important part of the pkg
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too raced 1/8th for a few years on a tight budget. Still do. Here's a few tips for ya.

- Bodies I have struck a deal with my local shop, if I buy in bulk he gives good discounts. I purchase for my brother and a mate of ours so we are buying a dozen 909's at a time. It seems like a lot at the time but in the long run good savings to be had. Aus$60 vs Aus$38. I also buy my paint from him again in bulk for good savings. And by the way one colour bodies are also cheaper than fancy paint jobs.

- Tyres direct from GRP at the moment they are as cheap as I have found. Less than Aus$30 for set of 4 delivered to Australia in less than a week. Again in bulk, this will save on shipping. Maybe see if your LHS can match them or get close on price. Help the locals out where you can and they will help you.....Also I have in the past 'recycled' some of the top guys cast offs. Give them a re-true and maybe get a heat or some practice time out of them.

- Motors I am now running NovaRossi WCS Kangaroos, just got 2 NIB for $700 delivered to my door off Fleabay. I got out of the habit of buying somebody else's head aches and started buying cheaper, new motors. I don't change rods until I see a tiny bit of wear starting to develop, then it's out with the old and in with the new. I also swap out the new rod when new and put in the 'run-in' rod for the first litre or so.

- I am yet to try this but the locals reckon it goes OK. For loose arms put some dental floss (yep, that's right) through the arm with the pivot pin. Like I say I dont know if it works, I will report back at a later date.

- Fuel we again buy in bulk, 25 litres at a time.

- Buy a Mugen MRX4/R/X they are tougher than all the rest. I have seen Motonicas, Serpents and Evolvas literally explode when hit with a Mugen (not necessarily mine) on more than a few occassions. MRX5 not as tough more on par with the rest now I think. Lighter is faster but also more fragile (= more cost)

- Scan Fleabay for parts lots etc, do a bit of buying and selling yourself, anything to save/earn a rouble or 2 to support the habit!!

- You dont need to have the latest and greatest of everything. All the lightweight go fast stuff is useless if you are bouncing off the boards all the time.

Hope some of this helps. I now wish I had asked the same question a few years back.

www.MRCCR.com
azcau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

azcau

Thanks
Stuff Of Legend is offline   Reply With Quote