R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to chewydbb
Default please help!!!!!

i have a gear prob for my rs4-2 with left side motor and 2 speed trans
idk whats wrong im new to the whole 2 speed i looked at a hobby site to see what it includes it looks like all my stuffs there but the car just wont move runs great but just wont move any help?
chewydbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Can you give us a detailed explanation of what's wrong?? Nobody can really help if you don't explain what the problem is ie: Engine doesn't rev enough, engine does rev and clutch rotates but nothing happens etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Tech Master

Make sure your clutch shoes are installed correctly. Even though you're stuck in one gear it would move. I think you may have shoes assembled backwards.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Default ok

thank you the only 2 ppl that replied, i think i found my prob the rod that keeps the gears meshed is missing, imma make one out of a traxxas wrench.
the second gear is still iffy the shoes are in there right i may be missing a set screw
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

bro i just had the same problem. one check your engine tunning, remember the hpi motors are meant to run a little richer then others. secondly, when looking at your 2 speed, there should be a silver collar type deal with 2 holes inside that need set screws, if your big gear is on your right then the hole to the left is one where you need a set screw, a silver spring, and then a ball bearing. the hole behind that one is just a set screw. these combined are what makes the gears recognize there shift points or rather to shift or not. check those, they do rattle out of there and half the time only way to tell is your car will shift right away and then it becomes hard to go. also if both screws are missing you wind up with a free spinning shaft drive and no gears will catch. hope it helps
gt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt fast View Post
bro i just had the same problem. one check your engine tunning, remember the hpi motors are meant to run a little richer then others. secondly, when looking at your 2 speed, there should be a silver collar type deal with 2 holes inside that need set screws, if your big gear is on your right then the hole to the left is one where you need a set screw, a silver spring, and then a ball bearing. the hole behind that one is just a set screw. these combined are what makes the gears recognize there shift points or rather to shift or not. check those, they do rattle out of there and half the time only way to tell is your car will shift right away and then it becomes hard to go. also if both screws are missing you wind up with a free spinning shaft drive and no gears will catch. hope it helps

ok check this i took it apart and its missing the set screw and the spring, and somebody installed the 2 speed clutch wrong,backwords. so i fixed that,so it went to my lhs and the had to order my 3 dollar gears.

i drove it the other day first time,broke drivers dog bone it came all as a hit i made shur to brake in the motor right thanks to everyone on here.but the motor gets to hot,i just cant seem to tune it right im using recomrnded 20% nitro.
ill post pics later
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Fatten'er up a lil...
X-Ray NT1, Losi XXX-SCB/Micro T, CRC GenXL, Blade 120SR
If everything is under control, you are going too slow- Mario Andretti
Lapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapper View Post
Fatten'er up a lil...
what do you mean?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydbb View Post
what do you mean?
Richen the high screw on the carb by 1 1/2 hours, <not turns, but hours>
The carb settings are calculated by hours, like a clock. Picture the screw as hour hands on a clock. When you richen the screw, you are turning the screw "counter clockwise", but you have to picture the screw head as the hour hands on a clock, which means when you fatten the settings, you are richening the settings. Hours mean visually picturing the screw as the hand on a clock.
After you richen the setting, run the car, check the temp. Make sure you get the car up to operating temp before you check the temp. If it is still running hot, richen the setting another hour. You should get a cheap temp gun to get you in the ballpark. After you get some time with the car, you will be able to tell whether you need to richen or lean the settings without a temp gun, but they are always good to have on hand
Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Richen the high screw on the carb by 1 1/2 hours, <not turns, but hours>
The carb settings are calculated by hours, like a clock. Picture the screw as hour hands on a clock. When you richen the screw, you are turning the screw "counter clockwise", but you have to picture the screw head as the hour hands on a clock, which means when you fatten the settings, you are richening the settings. Hours mean visually picturing the screw as the hand on a clock.
After you richen the setting, run the car, check the temp. Make sure you get the car up to operating temp before you check the temp. If it is still running hot, richen the setting another hour. You should get a cheap temp gun to get you in the ballpark. After you get some time with the car, you will be able to tell whether you need to richen or lean the settings without a temp gun, but they are always good to have on hand
ill be sure to check it out