MTX3 vs 710

Old 06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by FTSPEEDWAY
It seems like on the mugen the 2 speed will lock in second gear, sometimes it frees uo after a lap or two and sometimes it stays like that until you open it up.
That was caused by worn out steel balls and fly shoes adapter. I have met it before on my MRX. So I prepared two sets 2-speed fly shoe. Set up well on practice day,one for raceday only. I did it on my 950R,too. My 950R even has 2 sets 2-speed system,one for race only.

Last edited by dino.tw; 06-30-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

either car you will be happy with but IMO the s710 is by far the better touring car
Old 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by FW05R
either car you will be happy with but IMO the s710 is by far the better touring car
FW05R,

This is what I was getting at. You can find thousands of guys that will same the same about the mtx3 in their opinion. If you really break each car and look at them, no one car is really that much better than the other. Example: I had a HPI Racer 2 that could hang with the serpent and mugen cars at the club races I attended locally. My car did not have but one hop-up, a two-speed transmission. I ran the same engine as those guys and my car broke less in crashes/hacks. I could have said that the Racer 2 was a far better car than mugen and serpent but it wasn't. It was, however, the car I was most comfortable with running at the time and replacement parts were in every LHS. You can throw the NTC3 and FW05 in this arguement and would have people with the same opinions. Again, you can't go wrong with either car; you have to run with the one you, as a racer, are more comfortable with and have parts available in your LHS's.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by JLock
FW05R,

This is what I was getting at. You can find thousands of guys that will same the same about the mtx3 in their opinion. If you really break each car and look at them, no one car is really that much better than the other. Example: I had a HPI Racer 2 that could hang with the serpent and mugen cars at the club races I attended locally. My car did not have but one hop-up, a two-speed transmission. I ran the same engine as those guys and my car broke less in crashes/hacks. I could have said that the Racer 2 was a far better car than mugen and serpent but it wasn't. It was, however, the car I was most comfortable with running at the time and replacement parts were in every LHS. You can throw the NTC3 and FW05 in this arguement and would have people with the same opinions. Again, you can't go wrong with either car; you have to run with the one you, as a racer, are more comfortable with and have parts available in your LHS's.
very well said JLock listen to this guy he knows what hes talking about
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks FW05R. Here in Dallas, we have these debates all the time. I have owned many of the cars in question (except trinity and kyosho) and could give you good and bad points about all of them. It is fun to debate and discuss when all parties have open minds. I say, pick one, lets race, and may the better person win.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by JLock
Thanks FW05R. Here in Dallas, we have these debates all the time. I have owned many of the cars in question (except trinity and kyosho) and could give you good and bad points about all of them. It is fun to debate and discuss when all parties have open minds. I say, pick one, lets race, and may the better person win.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by dino.tw
I did it on my 950R,too. My 950R even has 2 sets 2-speed system,one for race only.
Dino, does not mean that it happens on the MRX that you need to do it on the 950R too. Have you had a 2 speed fail on the 950R?

But seriously, the 2 speed shoes on the Serpent (shares the same shoes as the 710) is near faultless. You can see many cars failing their gearbox but not on the Serpent. The shoes and the parts do not wear and they engage all the time. I would only get a spare LC 2 speed bell that holds the 2nd gear spur ! Only that one wears and can make the 2nd speed engagement off. That one is simple to remedy actually which is to use the grub screw to set the spacing to compensate for the wear. My 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:24 AM
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by InitialD
Dino, does not mean that it happens on the MRX that you need to do it on the 950R too. Have you had a 2 speed fail on the 950R?

But seriously, the 2 speed shoes on the Serpent (shares the same shoes as the 710) is near faultless. You can see many cars failing their gearbox but not on the Serpent. The shoes and the parts do not wear and they engage all the time. I would only get a spare LC 2 speed bell that holds the 2nd gear spur ! Only that one wears and can make the 2nd speed engagement off. That one is simple to remedy actually which is to use the grub screw to set the spacing to compensate for the wear. My 2 cents.
All cars most have some places good but some places not that good. Yes,serpent's 2 speed fly shoe very lasting but I have change many 1st gear adapters due to on-way bearing died and the 2nd gear adapters worn out. The parts not cheap compare to other brands. Maybe I ran too much. We don't need to mythicize it. To me it just a toy and I love to squeeze it. Those expendables are subject to wear. The only way to avoid mechanical problem during races is that check them often. My choice is to have spare system. If a part very lasting,you will never know when it will die. So I worry about it,too.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by dino.tw
If a part very lasting,you will never know when it will die. So I worry about it,too.
Agreed. Whatever you don't want to fail will fail. That's racing. If you're referring to the 2 speed adaptors that goes into the oneway bearing, then yes. It has a tendency to fail.

That's why the oneway lube is for... Always lube it (a drop will dofrom the beginning.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

OR never lube it, until it causes problems. I have yet to lube my MTX3's one way, and I bet it's got hundreds of miles on it, and the spare still sits in the parts box.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

I know MTX-3 is easy to drive and easy to set up. how about 710? and what kind of hop ups are needed for 710?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by Icung
I know MTX-3 is easy to drive and easy to set up. how about 710? and what kind of hop ups are needed for 710?
710 need virtuelly no hop up, some people get the alumunium anti-roll bar lever.
their option part is really "option"
710 only need you to setup right and probable is good engine and that is it
Old 07-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have to say that both cars are excellent machines. About three weeks ago, we had a big race down here in Puerto Rico on which Maxy Velasco from Maxy's Fules was competing. He got his money's worth, taking heat from a bunch of Mugens and let me tell you, Maxy's 710 was running great as so were the other's 710's from the local guys.

After seeing and competing against 710, I will have to say that my MTX-3 is a little bit faster on the turns, it is very agile and easier to work on. In any case, Kudos to Serpent for making a good car, better.

About the FW-05R, I had raced the car and I have to say that I have yet to try a car that accelerates out of a turn as hard as this car. I loved it!!! The downside was the parts availability and price (thanks a lot GP )

just my two cents!
Old 07-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default mtx3 vs 710

both cars are awsome i v. driven both the serpent suits my driven style as my best bud Kevin R ,an u too grinder this is ur pitman Bobby the car is very fast. i see people say not enough steering i hvent had any problems like i had on the g4.But like most guys what every works for u keep on going with it.hve grinder im ready for an MM X12 i email dont get a response.I know ur a got lot of work.Need to make my 710 sick fast.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

are there any survey on how many cars are sold in each year like 1:1 cars?
That's a good indication of which car is better, rather than everyone advertizing their own cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.