R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
With today's economic climate, the rising costs of onroad kits is the reason why this class is losing members in its community. Granted, $670 may be a steal if you bought the base kit and then upgraded it later, but when you are close to living paycheck to paycheck or don't know if you will be working tomorrow, it is hard for the average racing Joe to justify paying almost seven bills for a rolling kit. This is why offroad is steadily growing because you are looking at around $300 for everything you need to get a Slash/Blitz/SC10 going for racing or $600 for a top-quality offroad electric buggy/truck, a decent brushless system, a decent LiPo charger, and a couple of low-end LiPo packs that will keep you in the hunt. Even Losi was smart to give you a RTR nitro 8ight/8ight T package for the about the same price (8ight T, the buggy RTR is cheaper), just add batteries and fuel. The innovations are cool, but what use are they if it leads to no one to race against because you priced most of you audience out of the picture?
I understand that and believe me $670 is not small potatoes. I don't care who you are, how much is in your trust fund, or what company you are the CEO of. $670 for a hobby kit with no engine is a lot of dough. (~$400 for a top tier engine, $80 for the tuned pipe, radio + servos which would run you about $500 right there for one of the top tier radios and a couple of basic servos, about $100 for starter box, $40 in batteries for the box, $30 for a RX battery, $40 for a basic charger, some fuel and a glow starter would be about $35 and lets not forget tires...$10 a pair so $20 to start and they don't last forever.) That's all before you start buying any special tools, extra parts and glow plugs and other odds and ends. Not even a transponder at this point. We're talking serious cash for a hobby. I mean just from the basics I mentioned you're up to $1800 just to get the car running with competitive equipment.

Now honestly I don't think most people would need all the stuff that comes with the WC kit. They could easily compete with the basic kit and a few small upgrades and a solid engine. Me personally I'd probably buy the lightweight clutch bell, lightweight flywheel, lightweight 2 speed shaft, lightweight drive flange, lightweight 2 speed gear carrier, the high dynamic clutch set, aluminum wheel hubs and the vented disk brake. I'd call it good enough at that point.

I'm not saying it's cheap, but it's not an entirely bad deal for someone who is looking for a new car and wants all the better hop-ups right out of the box. I didn't say it was cheap and I can totally understand someone balking at the price of it when faced with the decision of what to buy.

Hell, I'll probably be building an Nt1 as my next car but likely not the WC kit. It is possible it's considered limited edition for a reason and the price reflects that. It's entirely possible that it will be limited quantities and limited production run and not available in this configuration again. Someone might like to have it for that reason alone. Who knows.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's no different than buying a car or a house, you choose what you want to spend. Xray has the economic verision of the NT1 and the luxury version. Your choice. You can buy a Toyota or a Ferrari. An apartment or a house on the ocean. It's just like any business, you give your customers a choice and let them decide. The current economic condition is based on people living beyond their means. If this teaches you anything, it teaches you how to better spend your money, or make better decions on what to buy. These products are priced from $300-$670, and if I'm a business owner, I'm looking to provide a product priced for every income bracket, and this is all that's being done. IMO!!!

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
It's no different than buying a car or a house, you choose what you want to spend. Xray has the economic verision of the NT1 and the luxury version. Your choice. You can buy a Toyota or a Ferrari. An apartment or a house on the ocean. It's just like any business, you give your customers a choice and let them decide. The current economic condition is based on people living beyond their means. If this teaches you anything, it teaches you how to better spend your money, or make better decions on what to buy. These products are priced from $300-$670, and if I'm a business owner, I'm looking to provide a product priced for every income bracket, and this is all that's being done. IMO!!!
+1000!
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75 View Post
^^^^ +100. We all have choices. Choices are good...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

NT1 WC Ed. Kit & Option parts arrived !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
NT1 WC Ed. Kit & Option parts arrived !
NT1 WC Ed. Kit finished
Attached Thumbnails
Xray NT1 WC-nt1wc.jpg  
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Which battery plugs are those?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
Which battery plugs are those?
MPX = Multiplex
Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
NT1 WC Ed. Kit finished
That looks quite nice, I just never liked the INS box next to a .12 engine. Just too big. I know they are required per EFRA rules though.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
HHH
Tech Regular

Default Brass engine mount

Aside from adding weight in the right place (i.e. to meet “legal” race weight), are there any other benefits or reasons for a brass engine mount? I am curious. Thanks in advance
HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post
Aside from adding weight in the right place (i.e. to meet “legal” race weight), are there any other benefits or reasons for a brass engine mount? I am curious. Thanks in advance
When some answer that ? maybe you can answer this one. Will having the brass battey tray insted of the brass engine mount service the same purpose or witch is better.
Serpent, 748tq
bluer322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post

It weighs a lot so you don't have to add a bunch of weight to the car. And I am pretty sure that brass helps with engine temp sucking more heat out of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer322 View Post
When some answer that ? maybe you can answer this one. Will having the brass battey tray insted of the brass engine mount service the same purpose or witch is better.

The lower the weight the better in theory. We use the brass engine mount instead of the battery plate. Reason is the tray plays into the whole flex of the chassis. Making it stiffer. So yes they will serve the same purpose if adding weight to the car is what you want. But the tray will change the chassis flex. We have found that the carbon tray works the best. So we add the weight we need in the engine mount.

Hope that helps.

If you guys have anymore question check out the RCAmerica thread on here as all the team drivers go there. You question will be answer alot quicker.

Thanks Drew
Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Thanks
Serpent, 748tq
bluer322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
The lower the weight the better in theory. We use the brass engine mount instead of the battery plate. Reason is the tray plays into the whole flex of the chassis. Making it stiffer. So yes they will serve the same purpose if adding weight to the car is what you want. But the tray will change the chassis flex. We have found that the carbon tray works the best. So we add the weight we need in the engine mount.
but that means, that you use the normal 2/3 cells as battery. in my car i have installed the brass engine mount (xray) and the brass battery tray (xray) because i use a xceed lipo, which is about 50g less weight than the normal cells.

the question is, should i also use the carbon plate and add of course some weight on the left side or should i stay with the brass plate?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
but that means, that you use the normal 2/3 cells as battery. in my car i have installed the brass engine mount (xray) and the brass battery tray (xray) because i use a xceed lipo, which is about 50g less weight than the normal cells.

the question is, should i also use the carbon plate and add of course some weight on the left side or should i stay with the brass plate?

Yes that is what we do. The carbon tray will have less flex in the chassis. I feel that the car performs better this way. Xray makes a 30g weight that mounts to the chassis right behind the battery. That may be an option for you.

Thanks Drew