R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Mugen X12 3 port Non Turbo SG....?

Just saw 1 in action yesterday on a 710........it is not the car (it is a great car anyway, don't get me wrong), but yesterday, it is ALL ENGINE............Never know that a 3 port non turbo engine can be that INSANE.....

My question is...where can I get that in USA? Online or hobby shop...? Where...? I think so far I can find this engine on Ashford and Atomic....both around $295...

Thanks...

P.S. For those who owns the X12..........I think there is only 1 problem.....can you last a full 5 minutes racing with the X12? The X12 I saw yesterday was in a TQ pace at all qualfier but ran out of gas at about 4:30 marks (all 3 qualifiers)........and there is nothing wrong(not running too rich at all...I hope not with that insane speed) with the engine but just sucking GAS like a HOT ROD.....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am not able to make run time either with the X12. The crank is cut open too much. I think the trick is to run really lean, replace the crank with a Novarossi, or find a smaller carb restricter.
Tony Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Yeah, I don't quite remember that was Winter National or some where else.....ppl with the X12 are all having the same problem...4:30 is the mark....
And I was amazed about the 3 port non turbo X12 performance, but also, that was the first time I saw somoene need to pit in (refuel) for a 5 minutes qualifier....
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Tech Regular

We have a couple on my local track and they have no problem lasting the 5 min. And they're both 2 or our better drivers. They have mentioned it runs hot though. Yesterday one of em was there in a 710 and was fast as hell, but had a flame out issue during pit stops. He blamed it on a bad low end setting though. Atomic is my local shop and I know they have it in stock. They have ok prices. I know on Horizon Hobby it's $400+ so $295 sounds reasonable.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Go to www.rcrevshop.com I think they have them for 280.00.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Yeah. that friend of mine with the 710 and X12 (that is his first race with the X12, he used to run Rody RB) is no rookie, but he was so frustrated yesterday cause he is always the fastest guy at our track, but because of 3 DNF, he ended up in B-main...

Everyone at the track was keeping their eye on that X12 on the 200 foot straight, and the speed of that S710 is equal to or faster then all those SS-12 5 port turbo (at least 5 port engine)....on the straight, there is no skill, it is all POWER....but lots of ppl were surprised to see that is a 3 port non turbo engine.......and also, they are insane to hear that the retail of that X12 is as high as $499....(well, $300 for a non turbo non MOD 3 port engine is HIGH at the beginning...)

I think it is a risk to run that engine....4 minutes 30 second is no 5 minutes, that that 30 seconds are = about 2 laps, that 2 laps will bump you from B to A or from A to B main...

P.S....I talked to him afterward, LEANING it is the first thing we all think, but temp was about 240....for non turbo engine, that is about the working temperature, not to mention, we don't have a 90 degree days yesterday, only mid 70s....and track temp is 95-105 temp...so leaning it to save gas it not really the option, it is the engine itself....(thats how I think...)
Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Rookie-One thing that I disagree with.You said that its not the car.I had a NTC3 with a MR-12 in it.It seemed very slow.Well I dumped that car and went back to a Mugen,I swear its a different motor.I do agree that the X-12 is an awesome motor,but I also believe the car also plays a role in the speed.Just my .02.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do not have any problems with run time. I have been running with out the restricter and can run juat about 6 min. with the temp around 240F, but then I am running turbo plug if that makes a difference.. The track I run at has a main straight around 220' so I get to open it up.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Nitrohouse has the x-12 in stock for 279. Yes, the website says 299, but I just got mine today from them. Call them.

They also have the JP modified mugen x12's in stock. Got one of those today as well. Expensive though...... 389. Good thing, was I bought them both together and they lowered the price on the standard mugen x12 to 259. I also ordered a turbo button to give that a try as well. This runtime thing is a little scary though. I can barely make 5 mins with my NS12s3. As a matter of fact, I don't always make it back to the pits after a qualifier.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fordman500
Rookie-One thing that I disagree with.You said that its not the car.I had a NTC3 with a MR-12 in it.It seemed very slow.Well I dumped that car and went back to a Mugen,I swear its a different motor.I do agree that the X-12 is an awesome motor,but I also believe the car also plays a role in the speed.Just my .02.
Oh I have to agree...but I think you just didn't get what I really mean....there were quite a lot of S710 over there, but there is ONLY 1 S710 that caught everyone's eye yesterday, and that is the X12's S710....
So in that case, compare to all others S710 (which they are all the same)...........it is not the car.

And it is really all about the drivers too....I just can't do any better on any Belt car compare to my NTC3..........I don't know how to tell you, and I cannot say that NTC3 is a better car or the best car............the only thing I can tell you I drive NTC3 better then anyothers is my TIME SLIP....(well, building the R40 now, if I can do R40 better then NTC3, then R40 is the best car - at least for me...)
Old 06-28-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Well.....just from what I know, TURBO ENGINE (not just turbo plug, I am talking about with the Turbo scoop on the crankshaft and sleeves...) do run cooler and have better fuel milage...that is a given....and I really don't know using TURBO plug does help on milage....my RS12 T5 S1 on the illegal NTC3 fuel tank with Kyosho Inferno bottle fuel filter can give me full racing condition 6:35 minutes...even without all the illegal stuff, 5 minutes is still no problem....

From what he said yesterday..........all he can do is get bigger and longer fuel line to solve the 5 minutes mark at the LOCAL RACE situation, but he is a all year ROAR race racer, he race almost all national races and use the local race as engine testing or practice.......so getting those illegal Kyosho fuel filter, bigger fuel line does not work with him....especially ROAR will inspect almost everything inside and out on his car....

But I still think that is really a NEEDLE setting condition.........he might ended up leaning it by 1/8 more and meet the 5 minutes mark at 250-260 temperature reading.........but I think that is a very close call....

As much as I hate to play around those 5,6,and 7 turbo plugs every single races...........i really want to go back to normal plug and be done with it...........and this X12 is really a good choice for me.

BTW.....www.rcrevshop.com doesn't work....and JP X12...wow, wow and wow....12 engine almost getting as expensive as 21 engine now....
Old 06-28-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Yeah, these engines are getting pretty expensive if you want to have the top stuff.

I'm running the X12 with the rd turbo II pipe and I'm making the 5 min mak with some fuel to spare. I was running between 230 and 257 deg on a 78 degree day. I have gotten the motor hotter than that (with a rb #5 plug as oppossed to the #6 i'm running now) but everyone else with a NS based motors were running hot and barely making it to the finish on a 90 deg day. I'm not sure if the high altitude plays a part in this, but the motor isn't too worse for wear.

Yeah, and this engine is really fast (too fast for me on the infield, at least at this point)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
Tech Master

Rookie I am not having any problems with run time with my X12 I have used it on 2 different tracks and I have been able to get 6 minutes out of it maybe a little more and I was running pretty lean plus it is modified.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default X/12

Are you guys talking about the 1700-210? If so I just picked one up on e/bay for $157.00 shiped! I hear that they are pretty fast engines.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

slot, that is the rb x12, which is like the mugen mt12, that motor is very torquey.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote