Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-28-2004, 05:44 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Rookie-Maybe its www.revrcshop.com
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

MAN ALL THESE NEW ENGINES COMING OUT IT IS MAKING IT SO HARD TO DECIDE ON MY NEXT ENGINE.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #18
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
....and JP X12...wow, wow and wow....12 engine almost getting as expensive as 21 engine now....
The X12 is getting closer to a 21 cost AND speed.

I have almost 4 gallons through my X12 and the milage got a lot better after the first gallon. I'm guessing the motor was just extra tight to begin with. I found that low end needle, high end needle, plug and head height are very critical to fuel milage and horsepower. My X12 run time would range anywhere from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 minute runtime at a ROAR legal fuel capacity during its life. My first plug lasted me 3 gallons - those runtimes were running the motor fairly rich and not tuning too aggressive. I've never felt down on horsepower to any modified 3 port yet either...
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Some say the X12 is the Mugen version of the NR NS12S3, can anyone confirm that?

Also I noticed that all the siting of "fast" X12 engines are on S710. Does anyone see a "fast" X12 engine on other cars? I believe the design of different cars makes them faster/slower on straight. I used to have a S710, and man that car was a rocket on the straight, but due to poor handling and easy to break parts I changed to a Kyosho FW05, and putting on that same Max. The FW05, eventhough with the same engine, is noticeable slower on straight compare to the S710...
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by fordman500
Rookie-Maybe its www.revrcshop.com
Thanks....got it, $285 sounds great....now, do I really need to have 1-2 gallon of fuel to settle with the 4-1/2 minutes run time...?

Again, a experienced ROAR national racer got 3 DNF with that engine....DNF because of race out of fuel...if he can't even figured that out, I don't see I can do any better.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
Rookie I am not having any problems with run time with my X12 I have used it on 2 different tracks and I have been able to get 6 minutes out of it maybe a little more and I was running pretty lean plus it is modified.
I am sure if I use that on my NTC3 with ILLEGAL tank, ILLEGAL Inferno fuel filter and ILLEGAL body...I can do a 6 minutes too. But overall, I really really want to give that a try....3 port non turbo with that kinda of a speed is well worth $285.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
Thanks....got it, $285 sounds great....now, do I really need to have 1-2 gallon of fuel to settle with the 4-1/2 minutes run time...?

Again, a experienced ROAR national racer got 3 DNF with that engine....DNF because of race out of fuel...if he can't even figured that out, I don't see I can do any better.
Why not just start after 1 minute has passed in the qualifier...that way you don't run out of fuel?
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoncsc
Some say the X12 is the Mugen version of the NR NS12S3, can anyone confirm that?

Also I noticed that all the siting of "fast" X12 engines are on S710. Does anyone see a "fast" X12 engine on other cars? I believe the design of different cars makes them faster/slower on straight. I used to have a S710, and man that car was a rocket on the straight, but due to poor handling and easy to break parts I changed to a Kyosho FW05, and putting on that same Max. The FW05, eventhough with the same engine, is noticeable slower on straight compare to the S710...
Well, just happened it is on a S710 on last Sunday, that was a the only X12 at the track.........but again, in this case, I am sure it is not the car, it is all motor....it will be fast on MTX3, G4, R40 or NTC3.....just as long as it say "Powered by Mugen"....
Old 06-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
Why not just start after 1 minute has passed in the qualifier...that way you don't run out of fuel?
He was FAST...but 1 minute are like good 2-1/2 laps down (when running like us with 3 port turbo motor)....and on a 30 or 45 minutes main, that can be extra 2-3 more pit stop.

In 5 minutes qualifier.......1 lap are hard to catch, 2 laps are impossible to do....
Old 06-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike D
The X12 is getting closer to a 21 cost AND speed.

I have almost 4 gallons through my X12 and the milage got a lot better after the first gallon. I'm guessing the motor was just extra tight to begin with. I found that low end needle, high end needle, plug and head height are very critical to fuel milage and horsepower. My X12 run time would range anywhere from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 minute runtime at a ROAR legal fuel capacity during its life. My first plug lasted me 3 gallons - those runtimes were running the motor fairly rich and not tuning too aggressive. I've never felt down on horsepower to any modified 3 port yet either...
That already sounds much better then my Nova Rossi RS12 T5 S1....
Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #26
Tech Adept

jasoncsc,

the mugen x12 will be fast on any car. I'm running it on my mtx3 prospec and I'm not giving up anything to modified top ts12's (the newest top motor) much less any motor out there and I'm using the stock prospec gearing. I don't believe this motor is a rebadged NS12 engine, and many people including Motorman and Grinder have said it is a different motor.

Rookie Solara,

This is the first I've heard of these motors not making time, and I'm making my time fairly easily with about a half gallon through it. The only time I've worried about making time was when it was 90 + degrees outside (that also with breaking in motor and using a RB #5 plug) and everyone with the newer nova engines were barely making time as well with 270 to 290 degree engine temps.

It is a great engine and I'm sure you will be able to make time with it as well. btw. have fun with the R40
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike D

Quote:
I was easily making time at the end of the first gallon. It isn't a problem with proper tuning.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
He was FAST...but 1 minute are like good 2-1/2 laps down (when running like us with 3 port turbo motor)....and on a 30 or 45 minutes main, that can be extra 2-3 more pit stop.

In 5 minutes qualifier.......1 lap are hard to catch, 2 laps are impossible to do....
I was joking of course about starting a minute late...........
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

My post told you where to get the engine for $279.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are many in Texas that are running this motor and not having any problems making a 5 minute qualifier. In fact, one of my teammates is running this motor and he is getting almost 7 minutes out of a tank doing some hard running pulling about 245 degrees. His power is unbelievable (JP mod Novas are not pulling him by much). The JP mod version of this motor is just stupid fast (on line with the Max Power motors). It looks like some are not fine tuning their motors. Just my $0.02.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.

Last edited by JLock; 06-30-2004 at 09:24 AM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote