R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default just another NTC3 2 speed problem.......HELP!

very odd gearbox problem.......

I accidently got wd-40 in by 2 speed which stopped it from shifting into second. (engine would just peak) So I took it apart cleaned it all, (the gear bell and shoes especially) and put it all back together by the book! Now I'm ASSUMING it's taking off in first, but when it get's to where it sounds like it should shift the revs jump like the car is off the ground and I seem to lose acceleration, although it's hard to gauge as I jump off the gas right away, I've got the screws set to the factory setting, it's shifted fine in the past but since cleaning it and putting it back in it's been playing silly buggers... anyone had similar problems or know of solutions? it's driving me nuts!!
GeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Sounds like the 2 speed oneway brg is slipping.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb this sounds familiar

since you put the wd-40 in the thing, it couldn't get enough grip on the 2 speed cylinder so it started to slip.if the cylinder is too slippery then the clutch cant get a hold on the second gear. funny thing is that it happened to me too... during a race!!! i was pretty mad at myself for that.h
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

yeh that's why I pulled the thing apart and cleaned it! it sprayed a nice line of oily crap around the inside of the car from the gearbox..... I used a small amount of degreaser on the shoes and a more liberal amount for the bell.... buggered if I know, just gonna have to dismantle it again, maybe there's more wd-40 leeching out from further inside the shoes...... I just rebuild it entirely and clean the shoes in some soapy water.....that's all I can think of at this point......bloody frustrating tho! I want this thing to be smokin along.....
Old 06-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeTee
yeh that's why I pulled the thing apart and cleaned it! it sprayed a nice line of oily crap around the inside of the car from the gearbox..... I used a small amount of degreaser on the shoes and a more liberal amount for the bell.... buggered if I know, just gonna have to dismantle it again, maybe there's more wd-40 leeching out from further inside the shoes...... I just rebuild it entirely and clean the shoes in some soapy water.....that's all I can think of at this point......bloody frustrating tho! I want this thing to be smokin along.....
Remove the bell and rub the inside of it lightly with some wet and dry paper. Its possible that the excess slip of the shoes when greasy has smoothened the bell housing too much. The emery paper will roughen it up a little to allow the shoes to bite. Just do it enough to remove the shiny look.

If its a centax style gearbox you may have to replace the rear fly weights. When these slip excessively they heat up and become harder. After this happens they become useless and no possible way to repair them.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

cheers I'll give that a shot later today me thinks...
Old 06-27-2004, 08:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

oi! but dont forget.
cheerio!
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Hmm. I seem to have totally misread your original problem. My last reply would be effective if the problem was clutch related but I just noticed its a gearbox problem. I would have to say I agree with bbntc3 and change the one-way bearing on the first gear hub.

Anyway, my last post is handy technique to use so the clutch is also at its optimum during running.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

can you explain what is happening when you mention the one way bearing "slipping" considering that first seems to work ok? I'm green as to RC so I'm slowly learning the art.....
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if you are getting 1st gear than the 1 way is not slipping. do as others have said already. clean it with some soap and water. not degreaser since that has more oil in it usually. when you are done washing it, dry it with some compressed air, and then take some sandpaper to the inside of the bell and the outer surface of the shoes. should be in business. reset it to the factory setting of I thing 3 or 3.5 turns out.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

sweet, cheers for that, I'll go down that road before I fork out for a one way hub
Old 06-27-2004, 10:17 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
if you are getting 1st gear than the 1 way is not slipping. do as others have said already. clean it with some soap and water. not degreaser since that has more oil in it usually. when you are done washing it, dry it with some compressed air, and then take some sandpaper to the inside of the bell and the outer surface of the shoes. should be in business. reset it to the factory setting of I thing 3 or 3.5 turns out.
Not entirely true. A one-way can slip at any time. The roller needles in the one-way are pear shaped and these lock against springs. If the one-way is becoming heated our greasey the springs will hold the one-way locked until the centrifugal forces become too great at a given rpm against the strength of the springs and the roller needles slip on past. This is most likely what is happening in this situation.

Here's a quick short term test to prove whether it is the one-way slipping. Remove the gearbox from the car. Take the first gear and pour a little of the fuel into the one-way bearing. This always works on a bad one-way for a short time. But not ideal for a permanent solution.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

ah man... these things are never simple are they.......... well I give that a shot first see if it makes some difference, then I try the cleaning again........so some accidental wd-40 in the one way would cause slippage yeh? and if I clean the hub with fuel (or turps? methylated spirits?) this should rectify it on the short term....
Old 06-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How old is the 2 speed assembly? you should be able to get at least 3-4 gallons out of that 1 way.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:52 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

I've run prob 3 litres thru it, if that. what ever that equals in gallons I have no idea.... go the metric system!