R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Help me dial in my brakes and other questions

I always have a slight problem with my brakes. Either they grab too much and the back slides around or they don't seem to grab much at all and the car doesn't slow down as quickly as I'd like. How do I dial in my brakes so that I don't get so much brake fade and they work better after running for a bit? When the car is cold, the brakes grab perfectly. After a time they seem to almost not work at all. Is this a sign of wear on the pads? I have the older V-One RRR with the aluminum brake hub that slides onto the shaft (not brake disk that attaches via pins from the holder with the round hole). I use the 3racing brake disk and Kyosho APP pad set. I was going to buy the KFactory disk and pad set and swap it out, but if I can dial in the setup I have a bit better then I can wait on that.

Also a question about belts. I remember a thread that mentioned what belts were better than the others but cannot recall why or which was which nor could I find that thread via search. I see standard belts, SP belts, and also some kevlar belts. Which ones do I want to use and why. What makes one better than another?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

if your able to dial in brake on the radio.....its comon practice to dial in brake during pit stops to keep it feeling the same or close too it. brake fade I believe is just part of the game, u can try to prolong the affect with different pads and rotors.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
I always have a slight problem with my brakes. Either they grab too much and the back slides around or they don't seem to grab much at all and the car doesn't slow down as quickly as I'd like. How do I dial in my brakes so that I don't get so much brake fade and they work better after running for a bit? When the car is cold, the brakes grab perfectly. After a time they seem to almost not work at all. Is this a sign of wear on the pads? I have the older V-One RRR with the aluminum brake hub that slides onto the shaft (not brake disk that attaches via pins from the holder with the round hole). I use the 3racing brake disk and Kyosho APP pad set. I was going to buy the KFactory disk and pad set and swap it out, but if I can dial in the setup I have a bit better then I can wait on that.

Also a question about belts. I remember a thread that mentioned what belts were better than the others but cannot recall why or which was which nor could I find that thread via search. I see standard belts, SP belts, and also some kevlar belts. Which ones do I want to use and why. What makes one better than another?

Thanks
Thats actually a problem with Kyoshos, you either have too much brakes, or not enough. Get the KFactory Pads, they help make the brake feel more progressive. Something else you can do is put a spring on the linkage, it will make it progressive.

I used to have a RRR and an M3 and I had the same problem, untill I got a Serpent.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Ya I should just build a 733, but I'm not really up to spending the cash right now. Maybe next year I'll start fresh with a new engine and everything.

Thanks for the tip about dialing in brakes on the radio. I can do that, seems like a good solution for now.

What about belts guys? Any help?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Ya I should just build a 733, but I'm not really up to spending the cash right now. Maybe next year I'll start fresh with a new engine and everything.

Thanks for the tip about dialing in brakes on the radio. I can do that, seems like a good solution for now.

What about belts guys? Any help?
For the belts you're going to have to post on the RRR thread, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

1. My radio has two buttons on the grip. One I can use to adjust steering dual rate, the other to adjust brakes.

2. I usually keep the brake epa on the menu so when I duck into the pits, I can look down and add a couple clicks.

2. Shepherd brakes don't fade much.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

My first RRR I used the plastic brake pulley/hub system. I used a K-factory disk with APP pads and never had a problem with fade. Now I use the aluminum hub, shimo disk and APP pades and have had tremendous fade. I tried the k-factory pads and that didn't help. I have switched the disc to a TM G-4 disc and I think that has solved my fade problem, but I need to run a little bit longer of a main to be certain. Like somebody else said, I have adjusted my brakes on pit stops but with the older system it was very small amounts.

Regarding the belts, I always use the SP belts. They are a bit softer and it keeps the drivetrain free. That is the benefit of those belts.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
My first RRR I used the plastic brake pulley/hub system. I used a K-factory disk with APP pads and never had a problem with fade. Now I use the aluminum hub, shimo disk and APP pades and have had tremendous fade. I tried the k-factory pads and that didn't help. I have switched the disc to a TM G-4 disc and I think that has solved my fade problem, but I need to run a little bit longer of a main to be certain. Like somebody else said, I have adjusted my brakes on pit stops but with the older system it was very small amounts.

Regarding the belts, I always use the SP belts. They are a bit softer and it keeps the drivetrain free. That is the benefit of those belts.
Excellent info, much appreciated. So I will switch the brake disk and pads out and re-adjust everything. Hopefully it will fix my slight issue. Seems it helped you some. I've been using Sp belts, but didn't know the benefit (if any) of the kevlar belts.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:

Thanks
Dredd, I set my idle and throtle as normal, then tighten the brake nut just till they start to engage, ten play with that setting on the nut till you have your desired drag brake, then on the radio turn way down your brake setting or epa. Then drive on the track and adjust accordingly to how much brake you wan. Now remember, if you put more drag brake in your car you will have more push brake on the radio and will have to take some out.....
Chris Tosolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tosolini View Post
Dredd, I set my idle and throtle as normal, then tighten the brake nut just till they start to engage, ten play with that setting on the nut till you have your desired drag brake, then on the radio turn way down your brake setting or epa. Then drive on the track and adjust accordingly to how much brake you wan. Now remember, if you put more drag brake in your car you will have more push brake on the radio and will have to take some out.....
This is what I figured. I will try it before I spend any money on parts etc. Although I will probably have to replace the pads at some point anyway.