R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default how long would my conrod last in my novarosssi 35 plus 21 on road engine

Hi people I have a novarossi 35 plus 21 on road engine was just wondering how long my conrod would last in my engine.

Cheers
kyoshoevolvam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Novarossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshoevolvam3 View Post
Hi people I have a novarossi 35 plus 21 on road engine was just wondering how long my conrod would last in my engine.

Cheers
Thats really difficult to say.
Most people change the rod after breaking in the engine due to the rod stretching during breakin. I always change rods in all of my engines after breakin.
But I also know people who do not even bother with this.
On a high dollar engine, it is cheap insurance.
I have seen rods go out with in the first gallon of fuel due to stretching.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

My experience is that the rod (if not from a failing production serie) can reach 5 liter of use for sure including the running in procedure.

It is also depending how you are using the engine and how mucht pinch it had with the 1st start. With a very tight engine it is wise to change it after running in (+/- 2 liter) and maybe one race (+/- 1.5 liter)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It really depends on a lot of factors. The biggest one IMO is the track. If you are running on a long track where you are wide open for a long period of time, you need to change it regularly. I would say after break-in and maybe one race, then every 1.5-2 gallons.

Club racing on short, parking lot style tracks, I have seen Nova rods outlast the rest of the motor. Here I would change it after break-in and a race or two and then run it until the motor is worn out.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It really depends on a lot of factors. The biggest one IMO is the track. If you are running on a long track where you are wide open for a long period of time, you need to change it regularly. I would say after break-in and maybe one race, then every 1.5-2 gallons.

Club racing on short, parking lot style tracks, I have seen Nova rods outlast the rest of the motor. Here I would change it after break-in and a race or two and then run it until the motor is worn out.

also agreed with roelof on the pinch when new. tighter the pinch (when breaking-in), replace earlier.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Cheers for comments how can I remove wrist clips from conrod what tool can I use to remove and replace it I would like to know the definate tool for the job diagrams of desembaly if poss as I've never done this before.Is it hard to remove wrist pins ?.

Cheers
kyoshoevolvam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshoevolvam3 View Post
Cheers for comments how can I remove wrist clips from conrod what tool can I use to remove and replace it I would like to know the definate tool for the job diagrams of desembaly if poss as I've never done this before.Is it hard to remove wrist pins ?.

Cheers
Removing them is easy. A pair of thin jawed needle nose pliers will do the job. It's putting the new one in than can be tricky
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote