R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Air flow (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/43670-air-flow.html)

vala 06-26-2004 05:51 AM

Air flow

Hi there,

Would it be suitable for good air flow that there is a hole in the front of the window and also the side nearest to the engine??? Also maybe putting a hole in the rear window.

What do you guys/gals think???

Sow&Steady 06-26-2004 06:08 AM

Re: Air flow

Originally posted by vala
Hi there,

Would it be suitable for good air flow that there is a hole in the front of the window and also the side nearest to the engine??? Also maybe putting a hole in the rear window.

What do you guys/gals think???

Usually the rules allow only the front windoww (passenger and driver side if you like) to be removed. I think this applies for ROAR as well as IFMAR.

Since you may want to eventually race, there is no point in making holes outside of the rules and then get your engine out of tune.

vala 06-26-2004 06:20 AM

I don't think I'll ever want to race competitively. Just racing against my mates but even then its not an actual race....not yet anyway. I'm more into these with a view of it as a hobby however if I did one day decide to race I could just get another bodyshell.

To maximise air flow for just having a bash would you suggest the front and side windows, or also include the rear????

Cheers:)

Marcos.J 06-26-2004 06:32 AM

Originally posted by vala
I don't think I'll ever want to race competitively. Just racing against my mates but even then its not an actual race....not yet anyway. I'm more into these with a view of it as a hobby however if I did one day decide to race I could just get another bodyshell.

To maximise air flow for just having a bash would you suggest the front and side windows, or also include the rear????

Cheers:)

if you are not racing just get a Lola body and dont worry about cutting any holes!!
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies/7580.jpg
this is for a 1/8th scale car but you can get one for a 1/10th scale l

R3DRUM 06-26-2004 06:35 AM

I don't think the rear window is neccesary, unless you plan on cruising in reverse. But I would just take some holes out of the window on which ever side your engine head is on and make half the window holes and leave the other half open. as for the driver/passenger side is up to you.

gonzoY5 06-26-2004 07:09 AM

I'm not an air flow expert, but I believe a rear hole promotes airflow. Without one it' s like blowing into a bottle. Obviously not totally because the whole bottom of the car is open. But the rear hole helps. I had a 2" hole in my rear winshield and when i opened up the hole to about double that size, my temps dropped about 10*F. Just my two cents.

Marcos.J 06-26-2004 07:19 AM

Originally posted by gonzoY5
I'm not an air flow expert, but I believe a rear hole promotes airflow. Without one it' s like blowing into a bottle. Obviously not totally because the whole bottom of the car is open. But the rear hole helps. I had a 2" hole in my rear winshield and when i opened up the hole to about double that size, my temps dropped about 10*F. Just my two cents.
:nod: :nod:

Scott Fisher 06-26-2004 03:48 PM

The rules allow:

One 50 mm hole in the front windshield.
Removal of the front side windows (not the backseat sides)
Removal of the rear window.
30mm hole for glow plug access
An access hole for refueling. (Don't remember the size)
No two holes may intersect with each other to form a larger hole

You cannot have more than one hole in the front window.

theRED5 06-26-2004 11:32 PM

If your not a racer, then your a basher....and I think its more important for a basher car to have MORE ventilation holes, because your more apt to run a less than full throttle, thereby raising the temps.