R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-23-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
pos
Tech Rookie

Default Your thoughts on R40 for first time Nitro sedan owner...

4 or 5 years ago I built and raced around an RS4 2 electric sedan for fun on my streets and parking lots. I sold the car shortly after and stayed away for several years before buying an Micro RS4. I raced the Micro RS4 in my garage but I quickly got tired of electric cars. Recharging, draining, cycling, and 5 minute run times with a nice motor grew quickly frustrating. I sold that car with a ton of hop ups and again took a break from R/C. My fear of two stroke motors started when my brother bought a Traxxes monster truck and struggled to keep the thing running and eventually seized the motor. I recently had some more experiences with two stroke motors and tuning and I am now confident in my ability to maintain and tune a two stroke motor. I really want a nitro powered sedan to begin practice racing and eventually compete in local events. I was thinking about acquiring a R40 roller and picking up an OE TR .12 motor and a lowend FM radio. Does this sound like a good car to start with? I have read the R40 thread from start to finish but all I see is a bunch of arguing over which car is superior and frankly I don't really care. I have had past experience with HPI and never had a single problem. The aftermarket parts support is amazing, my LHS stocks a ton of HPI parts. I don't mind someone's thoughts on a different car, but let's not turn this into an HPI vs SERPENT vs MUGEN arguement. I would only like constructive suggestions and comments from people who actually own these cars. I realize there are a ton of people that know a lot of stuff but if you don't own one or haven't used one, please don't praise or damn the car.

Regards,

Brian

PS. I know that the 2003 ROAR was won but quite frankly I'm not a professional R/C driver so I need something I can learn on and win with
pos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Tech Elite

It is probably one of the most newbie friendly nitro cars in that the stock setup is very good and the clips on the arms make it easy to set up. Most of the other cars come with oneway front diffs which make the car a little tough to drive. The instructions are pretty sucky.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Just do it!

R40 is as good as any out here. It is certainly competitive and race worthy at any level. If you are just starting out, I would get it if just for the parts support at your LHS. Believe me, you will break a lot of things and you need to have access to parts.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Durable?

I drive an MTX3. I'm very happy with it and it was my first car. I'm fighting my way in the A-mains in my local track. I've found it very durable and amazing out of the box. I considered the R40 based on the budget I had originally, but was able to squeeze a bit more $$$ into my investment. My only question, and I want to pose this question for you R40 guys, and hopefully you will answer without bias, is this car truly durable enough? I just ask because there are about 4 r40's running at my local track, and honestly, those cars are the ones with the most broken parts. Given the drivers aren't the best either, but they're not terrible. They seem to break more often on the slower hits that a Mugen or Serpent typically make it out of unscathed. Any car can break easily if you crash when hitting top speeds, but those slow speed breaks are the ones that agravate me the most. Honestly, how do you r40 guys feel in regards to this? I'm not saying a Mugen or Serpent will never break with a soft hit, but I'm going on my local observations, and the R40 seems a little fragile. Relative to other cars you guys race against, what are your thoughts?
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

That too is my impression of the R40 (as well as the NTC3 and 710). But if the part support is there, and I think HPI parts are relatively inexpensive, then it wouldn't matter as much. If crash worthy is the number one concern, I'd get a Kyosho V-One RR Evo or FW-05R. But their parts are hard to get and expensive.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Durable?

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzoY5
I drive an MTX3. I'm very happy with it and it was my first car. I'm fighting my way in the A-mains in my local track. I've found it very durable and amazing out of the box. I considered the R40 based on the budget I had originally, but was able to squeeze a bit more $$$ into my investment. My only question, and I want to pose this question for you R40 guys, and hopefully you will answer without bias, is this car truly durable enough? I just ask because there are about 4 r40's running at my local track, and honestly, those cars are the ones with the most broken parts. Given the drivers aren't the best either, but they're not terrible. They seem to break more often on the slower hits that a Mugen or Serpent typically make it out of unscathed. Any car can break easily if you crash when hitting top speeds, but those slow speed breaks are the ones that agravate me the most. Honestly, how do you r40 guys feel in regards to this? I'm not saying a Mugen or Serpent will never break with a soft hit, but I'm going on my local observations, and the R40 seems a little fragile. Relative to other cars you guys race against, what are your thoughts?
Very true..

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to TerraX Send a message via AIM to TerraX Send a message via Yahoo to TerraX

Quote:
I don't know that I would go so far as to say it's fragile, but I will say the plastics are not as high quality as those found in Serpent and Mugen (only observed Mugen). The trade off being part cost and availability. I think the R40 is a great chassis to work from and believe it's a great entry level nitro tc to have because of the parts availability.

The way 3rd party parts are coming out for the R40, I won't have too many stock HPI parts left on mine
TerraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The R40 was my first RC car period. I got the R40, MR12 engine, and JR XS3 radio. The reason I went with the R40 was parts were cheap, available just about every where, and the kit itself was inexpensive. Looking at your rc history and parts availability I would say the R40 the car for you.

I wouldn't worry about which car is better because it just a matter taste. Just like Chevy vs Ford....supercharger vs turbo......import vs domestic. Just boils down to get what you want.

AMG is right about the instructions but you will get through them just like everyone else.

PS..HPI UPDATE THE R40 INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!
Chewdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
pos
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the great info so far!

Brian
pos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #10
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I would have to say that my local experience has been the exact opposite. I've had my R40 all season and the only breakage I've had was a front universal when I cliped a track marker at full speed with my left front wheel. I've caught air off of corner dots and had a few heavy head on impacts. I would put the durability of this car right up there with the ReflexNT I ran last year that I also only broke once. The day I broke my R40, I took a trip to the on site Hobbytown USA and picked up a new universal, and went on to win the A-main over a field of NTC3s and MTX3s.

As for what I've seen on other cars(MTX3s and NTC3s at our track), breakage has been mild as well. Most of us worry more about taking damage to our pipes than to the actual cars themselves. Honestly I haven't seen too many slow, soft, hits in nitro class! We nitro guys usually earn our breakage with serious impacts!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

pos: As for the R40 handling wise, this thing is a dream. I can't imagine what it would be like with a one-way because the car has buckets of turn in without one. You can tell it was designed with sway bars in mind becasue it works perfectly with them on.

Odds and ends...

-throttle linkage can be tricky to set up with the fuel tank position, but isn't too hard

-diff access is the best on the market. Only the Trinity G4 gets close, and even then only with rear diff access

-I've experienced occasional brake fade during 10 minute A-main races. I'm considering a carbon disk brake as a cure, but haven't done it yet.

-Corally owners used to file down the hubs on that car to ensure wheel clearance for smaller diameter wheels. I did the same on my R40. I mostly use Mugen FastTires, and things can get tight if you don't do some filing.

-Instructions are pretty good except for some small omissions. Just check out the R40 thread for tips before you start building

-Don't let anyone concern you with the weight of the car. When you have a nearly 1.5 horsepower engine in a 1/10 car, a few grams here or there wont mean anything!

-And of course theres the bonus of knowing that all of HPI's excellent bodies are a perfect fit for the R40 and the hole locations are already marked!

Thats about all I can think of. Right now, there are two unbelievable bargins in the RC touring market. Xray's T1R selling for only $189 in many places, and the HPI R40 selling for around $250 in most places is the other. The price/performance ratio on the R40 is the best on the nitro market.

And anyone who doubts it only has to look at the features honestly and objectively for proof!

Good luck on your choice.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

(1) Parts support at your LHS....HPI (if you are in USA) can be find almost every where....so does AE, and they are cheap...and R40, no different.

(2) R40 is no RS4, it is as good as the Mugen or Serpent, you can say their plastic are not as strong as they look compare to Mugen or Serpent, but their price are almost 50% less, you have to understand why HPI parts are cheaper.....

(3) All RC car are fragile, if you clip the board 3 or 4 times in 1 lap...no car will survive..........R40 has their pros and cons, so does MTX3 and S710.

(4) Most important, car can hanclle good by using stock setup, and newbie can build it without problem.........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
In 10+ race events I have run with my car it has yet to break, even with my best attempts.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I agree with AMG....

The ONLY time my car has broken was last week in Edison NJ...A BIG course......I had glitching problems due to a bad switch...hit the boards full tilt(twice)....and only broke knuckles....and bent a rear pin the second time.,...(when I finally realized what caused it DOH!!!!!!!!!!)....

never bent a pivot ball..or broke an arm...this car is way stronger then my tc3....and I''ll tell you something else...

ALL I did was replace the parts.....The car stayed in PERFECT tweak all day...never even had to trim the steering......(after replacing the parts).,....

Easy to work on Too...

And the part I've come to love?>...this car is very respnsive to tuning changes......yet it always feel stable.....all you do(by setting the suspnesion) is change the way the car steers in a corner....it never feels out of control....

As far as the plastic being soft?.,.......I haven't stripped a screw hole yet.... and the initial play in the car hasn't changed in 3 gallons.......how bad can the plastic be?....It doesn't strip,doesn't break,doesn't wear out......I'll take the HPI plastic over the composite crap associated and losi use anyday...

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-25-2004 at 06:41 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes! R40 is very easy to work on, pretty much you have easy access to keep you car clean. From all my previous cars (yok GT4 and VoneRR Evo), i'm feeling most comfortable driving R40 because it's out-of-the-box setup is amazing.

As far as broken parts, i've had my R40 for over a year now and i only bent my hinge pins (rear) and broke a arms couple times but most of the times when i hit something, the pivot balls just popped out. I notice that the plastic on R40 a bit soft especially around the camber link, when your rear gets hit, the screws will go all the way in and the plastic will stripp, but it should be no problem since the parts for R40 are cheap and you can find pretty much everywhere (even hobby people stock them).
Just remember to pay attention on the steering that there'll be a liltle play after a while and change the bushing on the steering linkage with bearings.
So far, R40 has served me very good, i'm very pleased with it's performance, i'm not a great driver yet, but with lots of practice i know someday i will and R40 is helping me alot to that level.

There are tons of great competitive cars out there and it's your call which one do you prefer, just remember that parts support is your #1 concern since you just get into nitro scene, the easier a car to work on, less stress you will have and you'll have more run time meaning will makes you a competitive driver,despite the car you're running (mtx3, 710, g4, tc3, ld3, etc...)it comes down to the driver. Have fun searching for the car that suit your need, you can't go wrong with any of the cars that's in the market and if you decide to go with R40, you will not dissapointed.
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote