Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month? >

What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Default What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month?

Just like I said, what makes you travel and race, or, if you have more than one track in the area, what do you want at a race?

Door prizes? Trophies? Plaques better?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

A well run event, this means having clear practice times and a start time for the days racing.

The races need to be run by some one that knows how to use the lap counting equipment and who communicates well with the racers.

For the begginers I think you should have some sort of mentor program to assist them with their cars, often the new people get frustrated and quit before they get a chance to enjoy the racing.

Plenty of trash cans

atleast some A/C power

A good drivers stand (big and high enough)with sort of awning to shade the drivers in the day from the sun.

well marked corner marshall points on the track and hold everyone to this task or they don't race.

plenty of parking and pit space by track

a smooth asphalt surface with some osrt of preparation (sugar water)

have the track set up and prepared well before the races are gonna start.

A good drivers meeting to assist new guys with what occurs during the day

A fun positive atmosphere--nobody does this for money so why would they want to race at a place that people are yelling or fighting

the size of the track needs to be appropraite for the cars racing on it. if you are racing 1/12th and 1/8 scale cars on the same layout one or both are running on the wrong sized track.

track needs to be within 1 hour of most of your local racers.--- the better the track the farther they will drive for local club races.

a well thought out race schedule that includes rain out dates in advance

a good frequency board with some basic instructions on it for the new guys

restrooms

a reasonable entry fee for the track

The prize is probably the least important thing at the race.. but ribbons are nice, or race bucks that can be used for future races or at a hobby shop.

Old 06-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

how about building a restroom shack with real toilets and DOORS! That will get you a lot of racers, because most don't want to use a porta potty.

Also, have some trees for shade, because not a lot of people would want to be under the sun all day.

Have an air compressor, so racers can blow out dirt from their cars.

Have a big track, not one of those crammy small ones with the same turns.

Don't charge too much, have like a membership thing where they can pay like $5 a day with membership.

Make sure you always keep the track clean and not having the boards stick out and hit the cars.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month?

Originally posted by theRED5
Just like I said, what makes you travel and race, or, if you have more than one track in the area, what do you want at a race?

A track owner who gives a sh.t, and does more than bitch and moan all the time.

Chuck, as much as I hate it, the Bowl's history.

Even his worshipped offroad crowd is fading away.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I ran at a very organized track, and I can share some IMPORTANT issue...

(1) Don't save the money, get the AMB counting system, well worth $4000 (resell value is very high too...if you are lucky, you can spot a new version diigtal one for a little less)

(2) Make racer to buy personal transponder, like $75 each, they work WORLD WIDE............(like Visa Card)

(3) Bathroom and pop machine, a big plus.

(4) Picnic tables for racers

(5) A good RC RACING computer program (the one we are using called Alycatt) that work with AMB-it System..........1 touch button, the computer will run the entire DAY of event non-stop........no one except the OWNER can cancel, delay or overwrite the whole day of event.......I don't care you are team driver from JAPAN or President Bush...your car is not on the starting line at the 5 minute marks, you are not racing...

(6) A website that listed the past weekend race result with laptime, TQ, fastest lap of each racer in each event and in each class........you don't have to do that manually, the good computer RC software will do that automatically.

(7) A website that can list the most updated race track status, what I am saying is...........sky is dark, a little rain, a littel windy, but not completely THUNDERSTORM..........should I drive 45 minutes to the track and find out the race is cancelled...? Our track list the final decision at 7 o'clock AM, if it rains later, good call, if not..........too bad. I don't think a lot of racer will complaint about NO RACE this weekend thru the website and didn't waste 45 minutes of driving to find out, but I garantee ppl will postal when they found out no race ONLY when they find out at the track...

The rest.........are all minor...

P.S. Make ppl marshall..............$10 re-entry fee if I don't see them on their spot at the 2 minutes mark....the 2nd shot, you are GONE.............we don't even give warning cause nothing will be better then a $10 fine that will make them marshall for the entire day...........
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Force new entrants to pay $75 for a personal transponder? People like myself just want to check out the race and bring my car to drive. Not really compete with the "hardcore" drivers.

If you really want "New" people to join in on the action.

1.) Have a person dedicated to helping newbies. Or have the Intermediates/Experts take like 10 min to help out the rookies. Of course it means nothing to those w/ experience, but there's nothing like a little attention from someone with more skills. Like a 10 min intersession to mingle and such.

1.a) Or Have a crash-course in racing. Somewhat like a demo to explain what adjustments on the car do. I know it take a little time out from racing, but it does attract people who have cars that don't know what all the adjustments are for. If demo'd it would encourage them to try it at home or at the track.

2.) Have a table strictly for Rookies/Novices. All the guys with experience already have tables and outlets and the "best" spots. Rookies & Novices don't want to make an investment in all that gear right away. People just entering seem to be drowned out to the back because regulars tend to "look down" on rookies.

3.) Make sure Intermediates/Experts actually marshall Novice class. Half the time those groups are busy working on their cars while the novice class is going. Half the time Novices, don't know what they are doing so they have plenty of time and are more than willing to turn marshall.

4.) Convienent Day & Time of Racing with schedules out in advance on the website. Also an image of the track layout would be nice with alternating track designs.

The worst part is when advanced Drivers become rude because a Novice is taking a little more time to learn than they would like. Like if they messup turn marshalling, or rush around a track, people who just take the racing too seriously, when others like myself are just out to see how the car actually performs on a track. Some focus too much on competition, but newcomers usually focus on trying not to break their car, finishing the round, and learning to become one with the radio/car.

Just some observations from a Novice Racer who loves building these beautiful racing machines. I ended up just getting a Team Orion LCS and some cones for $100 and just practice on a blacktop with friends. Less competition and we can just focus on trying to keep our cars going. The fun's in the tuning!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: What can I do to put you on our racetrack in a month?

HOT CHICKS!!!!! Get some near naked hotties on the track and I gaurantee you will have a big turnout!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

HOT CHICKS!!!!! Get some near naked hotties on the track and I gaurantee you will have a big turnout!
All that other crap is great, But Kreidel Nailed it with that one

www.royalpalmraceway
This is my local track. I swear it has everything everyone's been asking for. Nice big track, HIGH Covers drivers stand, plenty of parking, REAL bathrooms, covered work area, a concession stand with burgers and other stuff, AMB racing system, the automated one. It's pretty sweet. During practice sessions, you hear your times every lap, and the actual Race is automated. it calls out all the drivers who are racing as well as those who need to turnmarshall. Compared to parking lot tracks, this things is a dream.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Guys,

the track we are talking about is a well established track in the Atlanta area, that had a boatload of great racers a few years ago.

We had races with the likes of Barry Baker, Tossolini, Burch, Carbonell, Doseck and many more.

The track itself is one of the nicest permanent onroad track in the US and the facilities are all there, including AMB and JLap.

The track was ran into the ground by the owner and by stupid personal politics between the racers.

People simply don't want to deal with that crap and another track that was opened by a factory driver in the area gives the guys a choice.

As I said, as much as I love the track, I think it's a lost cause.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RE:

I have never been to a nitro RC race, but I have been an oval track spectator for 20 years, and a racer for about 6 years. Every track is going to have positives and negitives (It depends on who didn't make the podium last week which will loudly express the negitives). The #1 thing I like to see is a strictly adhered to race schedule. Line up the guys for their heat, and be organizing the following heat race in the pit. My point is be one race AHEAD of lining up the positions. Confusion right before the green flag is so aggravating. The track/racer politics need to be kept at bay. Nothing is more frustrating knowing someone is running illegal, and the track officials "let is slide this week" because the alleged individual is "a solid weekly supporter". Hotheads should recieve the "zero tolerence" speech. If a hothead knows he can scream his point once, they will do it EVERY Sunday.I don't know how/if nitro RC cars are agressively tech'd, but is is a major issue at a lot of tracks in my area.The responsibility of the race director should be to express "race and have FUN. Keep the attitude FUN. These are just some generall racing issues I feel will make a better day.
Rich

Last edited by Polar_Bus; 06-16-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

yes, thats true but it would be mostly horny men.....

all the other ideas r great
Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Gee, thanks Stefan, for continuing the negitive comments about the past.

We're forming a new club, to race at a established racetrack, that as so eligantly put has had some problems in the past. We, are a group of racers that are willing to put our own money up to give area racers a chance to race on a great surface with computer timing/scoring, run by a guy that helped write the program many tracks already use, so we can put on races that are run like you'd want them to be run. Cornerworking, helping rookies, and the like is standard practice.

But being new to promoting something like this, I am mainly interested in the things that can draw racers out of the woodwork, that would normally not race anywhere, because, of whatever reason they may have. There's alot of cars sitting, colecting dust.

The main problem in the past has been lack of parts availibility, and we've solved that problem. We just want to give a decent crowd a great day at the track, with competition. Have fun, and maybe be able to make our money back.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Just some things that I think helps make a track successful:

A nice clean track with good traction.
Nice clean bathrooms
Access to food
An efficiently run program
Good announcing (teaching and enforcement of race ettiquete
An approchable race director and/or staff
Prizes or rewards (can be as minimal as a free race entry)
A secure location. Not very fun when you're worried you might be missing something when you come back from your race.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

And I might add, there's no problem with the other track in the area. They are a hour away from each other, and we have agood relationship with it and are working with them so both tracks can prosper.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

But being new to promoting something like this, I am mainly interested in the things that can draw racers out of the woodwork, that would normally not race anywhere, because, of whatever reason they may have. There's alot of cars sitting, colecting dust.

We just want to give a decent crowd a great day at the track, with competition. Have fun, and maybe be able to make our money back.
The best way to get people out is to teach them/users about what their cars can actually do. You also might want to try a "Free" race day for older non-pro cars. Just let people use the track for free for one or two rounds.

The Racers/Regulars will always go there to race. The people watching usually have a car they wish they could run on the track, but are usually intimidated by the level of competition "Classes" usually have. If you give people a place to run for the sake of running their cars, it might invigorate them to run at a track.

For instance, My first Nitro Race was a Free Race in Fremont last year as part of a Science Fair for Logan High School. It was pretty fun, the only problem were sandbaggers, regulars from other places racing in Novice class, to win an Xbox. Anyways, there was no entrance fee and it really made me want to race more because parking lots seem boring after running a track. Its just getting them to experience it once, after the first time, if they enjoy it they'll be back for sure. After the 1st time then i paid, but after that i stopped due to scheduling conflicts...

My $0.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.