R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by R3DRUM
so do u think the sts dr outlaw is a good motor i whink i might there break in one cause that way it don't gotta do it

before you go with a 5 port make sure you can run it where your going to race you don't wan't to buy another one for the rite class.

as for the car how much money do you wan't to spend, easy to get parts local Hpi R40 serpent710 mugen mtx3 can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
what is the difference between the 710, 835, and 950r? engine sizes?
710 1/10 touring car .12, 835 1/10 outlaw .15, 950 1/8 scale .21 big block
Old 06-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 SMOKE
before you go with a 5 port make sure you can run it where your going to race you don't wan't to buy another one for the rite class.

as for the car how much money do you wan't to spend, easy to get parts local Hpi R40 serpent710 mugen mtx3 can't go wrong with any of them.
He said he wants to spend $1000 Canadian/ $700 US.

20 Smoke is right.
You can't go wrong with any of the cars that are out right now.
Another thing you have to take into consideration is how into racing are you.
I know you said you are just starting out.
When it comes to these race cars, you have to have a good understanding of how to setup your car.
Before you invest money into these cars, make sure you're willing to learn.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:33 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

also keep in mind that if you go the Serpent 710 route, replacement parts are EXPENSIVE. The best bang for your buck is probably the NTC3. Very smooth drivetrain and replacement parts are very cheap. A properly set up NTC3 can hang with the Mugens, Serpents, and Kyoshos. The only downfall is that the car is a little more brittle than the others, where a small crash can do some decent damage. I just bought a NTC3 and when i compare it to my MTX-3, I find it faster and easier to work on
Old 06-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Go with the mugen. It is way easier to drive, comes stock ready to race. I had a ntc3 that i invested at least 1000 dollars with the car and hop ups and my new mtx3 is more durable and faster out of the box. I wouldnt touch a serpent. the couple I have seen the guys had nothing but problems with them.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

R3DRUM,
For being a new nitro racer I would suggest to you to get a RTR kit. They come with everything you need and will teach you to work on a nitro car and more importantly tune a nitro motor. NTC3 RTR, Yokomo GT4 RTR, n4tech and Mugen MTX3 will probably be the best first nitro kits to get for new nitro racer.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Well, im not sure id recommend rtr if he has already been in rcs for a while. If you only have 700 us to spend, spending 300 on a top end kit will not do. Id suggest as stated before going with the ntc3 or the ld3, shaft drive, great quality, and although not the greatest, you will be able to keep up with the others pretty easily, and when you beat 710s and mugens with your tc3, it will feel great . Once you get the kit, you must also get a fm radio (find good ones used on ebay for $100), steering servo used $60, engine, $150, i recommend sts , $50 pipe, starter box, $80, then you must have extra cash for the spares and crap. Sorry everyhting is in U.S., didn't know conversion. Welcome to the world of on road, its great fun
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:23 AM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

And I say, get a kit... you'll have to build it, but then you'll know how to fix it when it breaks, which will happen to ANY car once you start racing.

My suggestion is to check and see what the other guys at the track are running, you'll have their experience to lean on, and you'll most likely be able to get parts locally.

They'll take my MTx3 away when the MTx4 (ever) comes out, or they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:53 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, buy a kit and build it. If you can't even stand to build it then you don't belong on the track anyhow.... if you don't like building then tuning will be too much hassle for you also.... ALSO stay away from the N4TEC, stay far, far away...... Most places won't allow you to run a .15 engine so just get a good .12..... NO outlaw or turbo engines.... trust me a stock .12 racing engine will be too much anyhow....

Now, I personnally would go with the HPI R40, Hpi's have always been very durable and from what I hear they have got that car handling too.... What ever you decide on GOOD LUCK and HAPPY RACING!!!

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to R3DRUM

ya i actually like kits, beacuse i can build them and learn how they work,and know what is wrong when something goes wrong. if i need any info on how to break in the engine(my friend at my lhs broke in my tmaxx) i'll download the way off the internet or get my friend. as for what car i don't know there are so many choices, i think i will just check out the track and get the most popular one. or the one that allays wins
R3DRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #26
Tech Regular

get a 4-tec they rock dude
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Looking For a touring car

Quote:
Hey what do u guys think is a good touring car to get started. I would like something fast, easy to handle, not hard to maintain, etc. I am thinking of the mugen mtx3, ntc3, n4tec, or any other Nitro touring car out there. as for cost I would like the car to be under 1000cdn. And then if other items are needed I will buy thoses

P.S-I think 1000cdn is like 700amr(i think)
I am planning on getting into racing. I am not a nitro know-it -all, but I have been involved with racing other forms of motorsports for many years. There is one common racing misconception: "A high end exotic race car will make you faster" This is usually never the case with a novice driver. A fast car will be more fustration to handle for a novice driver.I have talked to many nitro racers and they all advised me to buy either an NTC3, or the HPI RS4 3, leave it mostly stock, and learn how to drive. Buy whatever car your LHS has the most replacement parts in stock and available, as stuff will be breaking, as you smack the walls. I bought the HPI RS4 SS kit and have been learning how to drive it, and tinker with the suspension. It is an awesome car that bone stock far exceeds my driving capabilities. The SS kit, a couple of servos, rx, and a Motorsaver filter, all for about $360 USD, and I am good to race. Good luck,
Rich

Last edited by Polar_Bus; 06-24-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Polar_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #28
Tech Regular

i was kiddin bout the 4-tec,its a terd
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:16 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

if u want sumthin fast go with the cen racing ct4s this goes 74.3 or 73.4 out of the box and they r making a 3 speed that pushes it past 80mph this car goes for about 330.00 well on this site. http://www.ehobbies.com/rc-cen-ct4-s.html check that site out if ur interested
Mxracer1990 is offline   Reply With Quote