Here is a good gear ratio calculator. Ckick on the calculator on the left side

http://www.rolfje.com/
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:04 AM   #92
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: YES....

Quote:
Originally posted by MrChan
Huh ..!! I don't think so after I watched the winternat DVD .. I only believed his 1/10 was fast but his 1/8 was just fast enough but other people were faster than him for 1/8. But he was good enough to win but not for sure .
I think Burch was coming around to catch up but was plagued by a clutch problem.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #93
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all, new to the forum and I'm in the process of putting a 950R together. I've been running 1/8 off road for about 3 year and have always wanted a 1/8 on road, high-tech little land missles . I was wondering why nobody uses the Porsche 962 body, I love the lines and the "enclosed cockpit " look. Even in real life, the American LeMans Audi's and MG's etc. just don't look like real race cars. I can't tell you guys how much I loved to see those Bentley's kick some major butt at LeMans 24 hours last year. Thanks

p.s. How do I add an avatar?
Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #94
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandicoot
Hi all, new to the forum and I'm in the process of putting a 950R together. I've been running 1/8 off road for about 3 year and have always wanted a 1/8 on road, high-tech little land missles . I was wondering why nobody uses the Porsche 962 body, I love the lines and the "enclosed cockpit " look. Even in real life, the American LeMans Audi's and MG's etc. just don't look like real race cars. I can't tell you guys how much I loved to see those Bentley's kick some major butt at LeMans 24 hours last year. Thanks

p.s. How do I add an avatar?
Possibly due to complexities involved with gaining access to fuel tank, and carb needles during racing. There's possibly a cooling issue too. I think they have some series in Europe where they require closed cockpits. It would be cool if we could do something with 8th scale bodies that puts more realism back to the body shells. Some may cringe at detached whings, but I think that would be an interesting exploration.

I think theres a avatar function in the control panel area.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MrChan
Default EC-8 Snake pit: wednesday

I took the picture from myTSN and It didn't seem like the serpent bodyshell ...... After I have seen it carefully.. I think it look like ProtoForm !!

Last edited by MrChan; 07-21-2004 at 10:35 PM.
MrChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 PM   #96
Suspended

Default new body

is that a new body?
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 PM   #97
Tech Apprentice

How do you guys get the the lexan to bend without breaking or turnig white? And how do you get it to stay, is there a brace or something behind there? Like the bend on Mr. Chan's body for the exhaust stinger. Also I see alot of people don't even cut stinger holes in some bodies. Are these only show bodies maybe?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #98
Tech Addict

Try it yourself on a spare piece. When you bend it you can get it to form by hand. For the exhaust I just line up a cut slightly forward of the outlet and cut slightly diagonal forward. Then cut horizonally rearward about an inch. Bend at this point at a slight diagonal line parallel to the line you cut, make sure you form a good crease.

That body looks like Michael's new Protoform body.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #99
Tech Apprentice

Do you brace the back of the exhaust body bend or just let it hang there?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #100
Tech Addict

Just let it hang. What body are you using? Are you using side stiffners? I noticed the new Protoform bodies come with side braces. I mostly do it to keep the body from flapping and hitting the wheels.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:54 PM   #101
Tech Apprentice

My first body I will use is the Serpent Porsche 962 and I do plan on getting the Protoform Lola in the future. Do you think I should get the brace kit for the Porsche? Does the brace kit brace the wheel area or is that something you do yourself?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #102
Tech Addict

The braces keep the body stable while in motion. It depends if its hitting the wheels or flapping. Think of it like this, you're precious 950 is going 65mph down the straight and body stability factors in keeping you track straight. The sides of the body are trying to push in as wind resistance increases, so thats what the braces are for. I also use them to make sure the body clears the rear tires, so I sort of apply pressure outwards while mounting them, but not too much.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #103
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help Tom, as you can probably tell by my questions this is my first 1/8 on road car and I'm a finatic for details. I just don't want to do something in this project that could compromise the end result. I'm having a blast building the car, some very compact spaces to deal with. I must say that it is a challenge to build compaired to my MBX-5, but that what makes it so fun.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MrChan

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkelley
Try it yourself on a spare piece. When you bend it you can get it to form by hand. For the exhaust I just line up a cut slightly forward of the outlet and cut slightly diagonal forward. Then cut horizonally rearward about an inch. Bend at this point at a slight diagonal line parallel to the line you cut, make sure you form a good crease.

That body looks like Michael's new Protoform body.
Yep ..that is Michael Salven 's shell for EC-8 Race.
MrChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #105
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandicoot
Thanks for the help Tom, as you can probably tell by my questions this is my first 1/8 on road car and I'm a finatic for details. I just don't want to do something in this project that could compromise the end result. I'm having a blast building the car, some very compact spaces to deal with. I must say that it is a challenge to build compaired to my MBX-5, but that what makes it so fun.
Actually, its my first 1/8th too, just about a month ago I picked one up. You get the fun of building it, I get the fun of fixin broken parts, blown pistons, ect.. lol. Actualy my 950 was purchased used and came updated to the R front end. I haven't built the car but its certainly fun to drive, get it together, the weekend is around the corner!