R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default GT class car and Setup Station question

I'm a bit confused about what type of setup station to buy for my OFNA DM-1 on road GT car. Since the car is based on the 1/8 scale Jammin Buggy one would think I should buy an off road setup station, but Hudy also makes an 1/8 scale on road setup station. I'm not entirely sure of which would be correct for the DM-1 since it's really a hybrid (both on road and off road parts). Any insight will be appreciated.
MiniMeRCRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Tech Addict

I have the Hudy 1/8 Off Road set up station and it is great. The on road version will not fit the DM-1.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
I have the Hudy 1/8 Off Road set up station and it is great. The on road version will not fit the DM-1.
Thank you for your reply. I guess you use it for a buggy or truggy? Do you use 20mm or 30mm setup blocks with yours?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Use this for your DM 1 or any GT cars: http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...prod=HUD108805

Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

i use the Integy Universalsetup station...you can use it with 1/8 onroad & offroad also has option atachments for 1/10 scale cars too $75 not bad either
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblaze View Post
i use the Integy Universalsetup station...you can use it with 1/8 onroad & offroad also has option atachments for 1/10 scale cars too $75 not bad either
+1
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #7
Tech Regular

+1000 that's what I use the integy universal set up station. It even comes with a dapters for a savage.

It looks really cool also and its only $90 the hudy is $150

I'll post a picture
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMeRCRacing View Post
Thank you for your reply. I guess you use it for a buggy or truggy? Do you use 20mm or 30mm setup blocks with yours?
I don't have either of those blocks. I use another brand for setting droop and other adjustments. I do have the truggy top plate from Hudy.

I used to have an Integy (previous version not the universal one) but it had lots of play and wasn't very good. Now the universal one all I've heard is good things about it.

So like the others have said either the Hudy or the Integy (universal) are very good.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I'm curious to know what ride height you all use in general. Heck, since I can't find any setup sheets on the DM-1 on OFNA's website, I wouldn't mind some help in general setup numbers, camber, toe especially.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
I don't have either of those blocks. I use another brand for setting droop and other adjustments. I do have the truggy top plate from Hudy
I have a pair of Muchmore RC setup blocks and ride height gauge but the ride height gauge is not tall enough to be of any help. The blocks are 20mm in height so I thought they were too small to use to figure out camber (since your suppose to push down on the chassis onto the setup blocks to get the correct camber setting). Am I correct to assume that I need 30mm blocks to use with the DM-1?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a pair of Muchmore RC setup blocks and ride height gauge but the ride height gauge is not tall enough to be of any help. The blocks are 20mm in height so I thought they were too small to use to figure out camber (since your suppose to push down on the chassis onto the setup blocks to get the correct camber setting). Am I correct to assume that I need 30mm blocks to use with the DM-1?
A 30mm droop gauge will need 30 mm blocks to be used easily.
I only use the blocks when setting suspension arm droop. Camber should be measured with the setup station mounted in place of the wheels or with wheels mounted using a camber gauge, also with the chassis at ride height. This is called static camber. Camber rise is measured by pushing the chassis down and occurs during cornering, on and off power conditions.
I own the Racers Edge 1/8 buggy set up station, it is high quality, but in the same price range as the Hudy is now.

To get an idea of some chassis setups, brouse the "new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts" thread and search for a word like camber. Later today or tomorrow I will post my current DM1 Spec chassis there.

For my 1/10 turing cars I use a Hudy set up station, it contains an excellent manual/setup procedure that I use for my GT car also. The manual can be downloaded at http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...0&kategoria=64
It is an excellent educational tool, study it and it will help you a lot.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

Quote:
I'm curious to know what ride height you all use in general. Heck, since I can't find any setup sheets on the DM-1 on OFNA's website, I wouldn't mind some help in general setup numbers, camber, toe especially.
ok maybe i can help...my set up
height front 5-6mm rear 6-7
camber front -2 to -2.5 rear -3 to-4
front toe 1 degree out i beleive
rear toe 2.5 degree in sometimes 3degree
shock & diff oil are stock

rear toe & camber changes depending what tires i use and if the track is tight or open also track condition(traction)
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
I see where the confusion comes in, and have the same difficulty understanding.
The Hudy 1/8 offroad setup station says to use 30mm blocks when checking and adjusting the Camber and Toe. The Hudy 1/8 onroad setup station manual does not use any blocks for these adjustments.

Problem is with GT type cars is what method of setup is the proper one?

I run the Kyosho Inferno GT. In addition to the Camber and Toe adjustments being different from On to Off road the droop measurements are also taken at different spots on the arms. I'm referring to the Hudy manuals only.

Its really confusing that we are setting up onroad cars based on offroad chassis' and using offroad setup stations to set up onroad cars. Sheeesh!! No wonder my brain is fried!!
RussF is offline   Reply With Quote