R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Replacing the r40 need help

Hey guys,

I have an hpi r40 and love the car, but the spare parts a far and few, now I'm looking to replace it , I've been searching but not sure what not choose, I think either the serpent 733 or X-ray nt1 but I'm not sure what would be better for parts wise this car will lady me a long long time like the r40 did, the engine I will be using is the Jlr red dot evo will this engine work with either those Cars ?? What would be the better one to choose??

I will be racing friends only on a parking lot track and an track at my friends house on his huge cement pad in his back yard,
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Hpimichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Both are good, the motor will work with either, parts are plentiful for both and of those two, I would go Xray.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Is the Xray a better car than the serpent?
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Tech Adept

you know that you begin a war thread right? everybody is gonna tell you serpent is better, or xray is better so you will end up confused. BOTH cars are capable of wining, so either choice is good. Nt1 is been now since 2007 with some improvements over the years (not much though, car design is basically the same) while 733 is about one year old and its design is something new. Quality is better on xray cars though (said by a guy driving serpents). Confused already?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since the NT1 is 4 years old almost, you might buy it and then find out that they're coming out with a new one soon, get the 733, it came out last year and Im pretty sure there wont be a new one for a while. Maybe new options, or improved parts, but no completely new car.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Ya I'm really looking for a pro car with spare parts readily available for some time to come with out being discontinued
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilos View Post
you know that you begin a war thread right? everybody is gonna tell you serpent is better, or xray is better so you will end up confused. BOTH cars are capable of wining, so either choice is good. Nt1 is been now since 2007 with some improvements over the years (not much though, car design is basically the same) while 733 is about one year old and its design is something new. Quality is better on xray cars though (said by a guy driving serpents). Confused already?
Mugen is my cup of coffee are you confused yet, No oh well check this out mugen is pretty good with there cars most of them are enterchange with each other parts MTX4, MTX4R and there are many many many parts for this ride after market and stock. thats just me a mugen man. I do like the serpent I would go with that before I go with Xray.
mugenize1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Hey guys thanks forth help, I'm gonna go with the serpent, due to it's parts a availability and also the longevity of each model and the company standards are good
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you wanna sell that R40?
jakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Is it me or are serpent parts hard to find ,?? Lots of places that have parts most are outta stock?? Y is this ? what's the best place for parts??
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Jakerz pm sent
soon a 1/8th on road
Duratrax Maximum ST Pro
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpimichael View Post
Is the Xray a better car than the serpent?
In a word no. The car is only as good as the driver. The Xray parts may be marginally higher quality but generally I find them to be more expensive than Serpent or the other options. I like Kyosho V-One RRR personally but the parts availability is going to be online only for the most part unless you're lucky to have a really good hobby shop near by. The bonus to me is the parts are really cheap from what I've found. Maybe not as plentiful overall.

Serpent is a great car and is pretty new as well so there won't likely be a newer chassis available right away to make the 733 go obsolete too quickly. Your engine will work fine on either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpimichael View Post
Is it me or are serpent parts hard to find ,?? Lots of places that have parts most are outta stock?? Y is this ? what's the best place for parts??
Checkout Serpent America or A Main Hobbies if you haven't already. Most of the commonly replaced/used and option parts will be out of stock often because people buy lots of spares. I don't know what to tell you except to keep looking.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

kyosho rrr.
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
In a word no. The car is only as good as the driver. The Xray parts may be marginally higher quality but generally I find them to be more expensive than Serpent or the other options. I like Kyosho V-One RRR personally but the parts availability is going to be online only for the most part unless you're lucky to have a really good hobby shop near by. The bonus to me is the parts are really cheap from what I've found. Maybe not as plentiful overall.

Serpent is a great car and is pretty new as well so there won't likely be a newer chassis available right away to make the 733 go obsolete too quickly. Your engine will work fine on either one.

Checkout Serpent America or A Main Hobbies if you haven't already. Most of the commonly replaced/used and option parts will be out of stock often because people buy lots of spares. I don't know what to tell you except to keep looking.
Don't forget kamikazetoysandhobbies.com / Brooklynhobbies.com/ Ashfordhobby.com these are pretty good on the serpent and Xray.
mugenize1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have a Serpent so I may be biased. However if I had to do it all over again, I'd still choose Serpent. I'm not loyal to Serpent, like all racers on a budget, my loyalty lies with my pocket book.

XRay NT-1: A good car if you have the current latest version. Parts support is somewhat scarse but you can always find it online. Car is durable but like all things not indistructable nor prone to wear. Parts are expensive. You will have to reach deep in your pockets to fund your spare parts and options. I know this all too well because I run an XRay electric TC and run into this problem all the time when I need parts.

Mugen MTX4: Its been a good car for about the last 4 years or so and people are still winning races with it. Parts support is good depending where you are at and parts cost is very economical. Sounds like a winner eh? Not really. The MTX4 and all its variants are at the end of its product life cycle. The MTX5 is just around the corner. Although, people will say that there will still be parts support for the MTX4, don't short change yourself. I was told the same about the MTX3 up until last summer where I desperately tried hard just to find gears. Once the MTX5 comes out the same will happen to the MTX4.

Serpent 733: This car is a new design that is not a "me too" like the above two cars. Although there were some parts issues after its introduction, the problems have all been solved and the kits are now updated with the latest improvements in parts. This can be said of any new RC car where there are always a few bugs to work out. Nevertheless, the car is easy to work on and responds well to tuning changes. Parts support is also good depending on where you are at and parts prices are about as economical as Mugen.

So there you have it. I'm sure, if there is still parts support for you R40, you'd still hang on to it. However, all things must come and go. Just like the MTX3 I had before the 733.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote