R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Everton Send a message via Yahoo to Everton
Default RS4 Slow Acceleration

Hey,
I have a fairly Hopped Up RS4-2. I have a Sirio .12 on this. I'm still running the stock flywheel with a HPI racing clutch. The acceleration is still slow. I have the clutch setup up so it hits as soon as possible. I have the engine tuned a little lean. so its not my tuning. Do you think if I switched to three shoe clutch setup it would help? I'm not sure on what shoes I should get or flywheel. Please help me out. Thanks
~Everton~
Everton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

I would get rid of it. HPI's are for beginner level, if you want to make it faster it will be a money pit. Everybody here had HPI's as beginners and when you want to make them go faster or handle better you need to sell it and buy another car.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Everton Send a message via Yahoo to Everton

Yeah I understand what you are saying. The thing is I really don't have the money for a new car and I don't think I would get a good amount for the rs4. Althought I have a lot of Alum on there. Well What kind of on road do you think I should get then?
Everton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Thumbs up Been there done that!

My first car was an HPI RS4, bought it when i was 30 yrs old with a good paying job. I dumped about $2000 into that piece of junk trying to make if run faster and handle better. Money pit is a mild name to call the HPI RS4

But to answer your question, you may need to loosen the clutch just a bit. Having it set to hit as soon as possible could be causing the engine to bog down before it gets into its power band. loosening it a bit, will let the RPMs kick up a bit higher before the clutch engages.

If you ever do decide to get competitive, sell that car and get the HPI R40 or Mugen MTX3
Demetris Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Use the #3 hole on the clutch and cut the shoes short. The Sirio is an RPM engine so you need to get the RPMs up before the clutch engages. If it's still doesn't snap at the bottom, try cutting some loops off the clutch spring to make it shorter.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
Tech Master

Also make sure there is no binding in the drive train. The car should roll at least 5 feet when pushed hard.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

The Sirio .12 indeed(the old version) has mostly top end. Sadly I must agree with others the RS4 is a much older car with a design thats not suited to work well with the engines of today and also having less gear ratio options. I'd sell the RS4 and save up some money for either a NTC3 kit, R40, or something along there. I know this involves waiting but it would be very well worth it.

For the HPI racing clutch I have it set to the 2nd hole setting. Remember you will need to remove some of the clutch material so under RPM it can expand without hitting the clutch nut (the end that sits on the peg). Whats your gear ratio like? Are you set for top end speed? I'd set it for more acceleration and richen up the Sirio. It's better to rich slightly rich than lean...even when you bashing. Overall, recheck the needle settings and make sure you aren't running it rich on low end and have the HSN leaned like a mofo. Like Rapid Boy said make sure there is no binding in the drivetrain or your brake is dragging.

BTW, a lot of alum is a no no. With a heavier car that makes you slower. Surely a decked out RS4 w/alum can get you some good $$ on ebay btw . Cars of today feature graphite parts as well as a sturdy plastic or delrin material and less chassis. Why? Racing wise, you'd want a lighter vehicle that allows you to pick up speed faster instead of struggling along. It's little things like these that can make the fastest driver even faster than the competition. So now its upto you. You can either work on the RS4 or sell it and get a competition car that will offer much better performance out of the box than your current setup. What ever makes you happy.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:14 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

if you want speed just get a super nitro, that's what i had. I had all the graphite pieces to lower the weight and it has those big wheels for more speed. I got rid of mine because i'm mostly into the track and a Super nitro, even with Powerline aluminum steering won't stay off the walls unless you put in some real money in it.

I found a good deal on a Kyosho V one RR, and i bought it. Still haven't driven it, but i'm sure it will handle and drive up to par with the MTX-3
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

what the **** are you guys talking about. my first big time r/c vehicle was the slow stock nitro 2. I still have it now, and i've invested about $1000 into it, none of that bulky aluminum junk either. it has a traxxas trx 2.5 engine with hpi racing clutch, everything is upgraded and it is not slow. it's faster than my friends nitro 4-tec and those gears are for top speed/slow accel only. my car has the hd 2 speed with balanced speed/accel and it's faster. this car is great, handles 5 times better than the 4-tec so I dont know what the problem is. make sure you dont have your brakes engaged while driving. it'll make your car the slowest on the block. there's only 2 things I havent upgraded on the car. the trx 2.5 cooling head and the upperdeck. i plan on getting the graphite upperdeck really soon along with the new anodized blue aluminum head from the new 2.5 engine from the revo. i've been looking for an upgrade for the cooling head. gh sells them, but they're too tall, made for the maxx and not for my car , but I guess blue wont hurt
viperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Listen,I have 3 racer2's..and grew up on HPI(have 3 R40's right now).....NO ONE loves HPI stuff more than me...

But Saying the Racer 2 is better than a 4 tec is like saying you smell like a cow instead of a hog.....They are both cars well past their prime......(And no,I'm not going to say they both stink.....)..

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-19-2004 at 10:25 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:16 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

actually the nitro 2 is a lot older than most nitro cars out here now, but seriously how much more advanced are the new cars. compare the ntc3, the evo, the nitro 4-tec pro, the other new shafts/belts to the hpi nitro rs4 2 or the racers. the only difference really is the shift from belt to drive. i know the r40 and other ADVANCED r/c's are much better and built for just racing, but for all the regular vehicles the nitro 2 isnt behind any of them really. of course they dont get anymore support or upgrades available, but you can take them to the track and beat out the others. what do you think???
Old 06-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

i know a lot of people looking to get this car and find some upgrades to race at the track.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
Tech Master

I know what you are trying to say. Hi used a racer2 for 4 or 5 years. It was just as fast as the other cars on smaller parking lot tracks. I may have lost a bit on the longer straights, but the racer2 was lighter and quicker through the infield. I kept thinking that I needed more practice and better control to run more consistant laps and finish better. (I was running sportsman class) Last year, I finally got a new car. I ended up going with a Serpent 705. After assembling the car and racing it, I my eyes were opened.

The car was just better all around. The parts fit better, stay tighter. I could adjust the suspension to suit the track conditions, I could drive a consistant line, and I could hit and tunble without changing the suspension settings. My first race, I topped my personal best in laps completed with a car that wasn't even set up properly.

I am not saying that the RS4 series cars are junk. I think they serve as a good starting point if you are getting into RC. Just don't go overboard with the hop ups. My son just won the rookie nitro class with my racer2 last weekend. In fact he would have placed 3rd or 4th in the sportsman class. I'm just saying the if you start pushing the limits of the cars handling, its time for a new platform.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #14
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Roy
I know what you are trying to say. Hi used a racer2 for 4 or 5 years. It was just as fast as the other cars on smaller parking lot tracks. I may have lost a bit on the longer straights, but the racer2 was lighter and quicker through the infield. I kept thinking that I needed more practice and better control to run more consistant laps and finish better. (I was running sportsman class) Last year, I finally got a new car. I ended up going with a Serpent 705. After assembling the car and racing it, I my eyes were opened.

The car was just better all around. The parts fit better, stay tighter. I could adjust the suspension to suit the track conditions, I could drive a consistant line, and I could hit and tunble without changing the suspension settings. My first race, I topped my personal best in laps completed with a car that wasn't even set up properly.

I am not saying that the RS4 series cars are junk. I think they serve as a good starting point if you are getting into RC. Just don't go overboard with the hop ups. My son just won the rookie nitro class with my racer2 last weekend. In fact he would have placed 3rd or 4th in the sportsman class. I'm just saying the if you start pushing the limits of the cars handling, its time for a new platform.
well said!! I started out with RS4 Racer also.Very good car to start out !!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote