Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which body to use??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
What 160mm? Will the Protoform 909 still be legal? compared to the LOLA body I have the 'side dams' are much much taller.
The body will still be legal, you only have to use lower H-arms for the rear body mount. The maximum height for the EFRA will be 160mm and the spoiler height is not sure but I have heard they want to set it to 180mm.

I think it is time the EFRA, ROAR etc and the manufacturers must do more with aerodynamics to bring the looks back as we had back in the 70's and 80's like this:

Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roelof

I think it is time the EFRA, ROAR etc and the manufacturers must do more with aerodynamics to bring the looks back as we had back in the 70's and 80's like this:

Back to the future and make everything slower? ... Never.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PMSorber
Slower could be a good thing. Make fuel mileage slightly less of an issue anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by PMSorber
Why do you think it is slower?
With a good reverse airplane shaped rear wing you can get as much or even more downforce than those ugly bodies we now have with less aerodynamic resistance. One of the reasons the EFRA wants to go to 160mm is because the looks, there is even talked for a next step to 150mm.
Also slowing down to save fuel, engines and tires is mentioned.....

Funny that on national level the 1/8 in Holland is the most populair class to drive in while the cars are far from real. In other countries the 1/10 is populair because the looks, it is closer to the real thing.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Lord

Why do you think it is slower?
With a good reverse airplane shaped rear wing you can get as much or even more downforce than those ugly bodies we now have with less aerodynamic resistance.
I agree but there is one problem. Such a wing is going to move the center of pressure WAY rearward. It's going to be tough to design the nose to get enough downforce to really balance it out.

Of course, 30 fronts with 37 rears might solve that
Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Lord

Also, some of the stability we are seeing from these high, jacked up bodies isn't all from downforce. Those huge, slab sides also generate a LOT of side force through the corners. A proper wing on a lower body may make more downforce but will have less side force unless the end plates are enormous.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

so what would be the best body for me to use on a 1/10th scale nitro?
I would be running in Gas Sedan class, with a oldschool Yokomo GT-4.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Funny that on national level the 1/8 in Holland is the most populair class to drive in while the cars are far from real. In other countries the 1/10 is populair because the looks, it is closer to the real thing.
Roelof, explain to us all why it should be exactly real? You just mention that it is the most popular class (and not only in NL) so why do you want to change?
Fuel milage is a non issue, we qualify in 7 minutes. The sportsman class qualify in 5 minutes where the mayority manage 5 minutes. Tires as well, I see a tire change in a main final and maybe 2 if there is a big difference in laptimes. Nothing changed there the last 4 years.

Realistic, does that also mean a diffuser, additional holes, additional wings?

Regarding this old fashion body, they are designed for ols fashion cars. The car / geo of today is based upon our current bodies. So a hughe change (back to low DF bodies) will result in new designs and therefore higher cost for the end-users and a risk for our sport.

Last edited by PMSorber; 09-01-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Tech Lord

Athough we are drifting off, the new 7 minutes rule did change a lot in my eyes. We now do have 3.5 minutes qualifying engines which as promised would not come...

New design bodies with separate rear spoilers will result in higher costs? Just a page ago it was mentioned to have several bodies with different mounting holes to give it a try what is OK to drive with, not to mention the lightweight bodies which last just 1 race, so what is cheap or expensive?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Suspended

Athough we are drifting off, the new 7 minutes rule did change a lot in my eyes. We now do have 3.5 minutes qualifying engines which as promised would not come...

New design bodies with separate rear spoilers will result in higher costs? Just a page ago it was mentioned to have several bodies with different mounting holes to give it a try what is OK to drive with, not to mention the lightweight bodies which last just 1 race, so what is cheap or expensive?
You did not answer the question, why? 3,5 minutes qualifying engines? Never seen those... the only difference is that the quest for long runtime is gone. The fast drivers can still do 4:30, no difference to a year ago.