R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default Proper clutch engagement adjustment question

How can I tell if my clutch is engaging properly and what adjustment I need to make? Is there some easy way to tweak it or is it more of a personal preference thing? I don't know if I tightened the adjustment nut down enough or too much or what when I got my car back up and running. It engages, but how snappy should it be and should it feel a certain way or act a certain way?

What do I look for?
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
How can I tell if my clutch is engaging properly and what adjustment I need to make? Is there some easy way to tweak it or is it more of a personal preference thing? I don't know if I tightened the adjustment nut down enough or too much or what when I got my car back up and running. It engages, but how snappy should it be and should it feel a certain way or act a certain way?

What do I look for?
Kelly Richie doin a clutch video for the nyrc network site . You want the proper gap which coincides with clutch spring pre load. Gap is distance shoe travels before it hits the bell. On xray. The request .6 to.7 mm. You want the spring preloaded set to how the car feels coming out of the turn this varies by car and spring. On juniors xray we started at .8 mm of thread showing and turned in 2 hours at a time till he liked it. The wider the gap be careful how far you pre load the spring. It may get spring bind or not engauge. End play I set by feel. Be careful too much wears the bearings.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
Kelly Richie doin a clutch video for the nyrc network site . You want the proper gap which coincides with clutch spring pre load. Gap is distance shoe travels before it hits the bell. On xray. The request .6 to.7 mm. You want the spring preloaded set to how the car feels coming out of the turn this varies by car and spring. On juniors xray we started at .8 mm of thread showing and turned in 2 hours at a time till he liked it. The wider the gap be careful how far you pre load the spring. It may get spring bind or not engauge. End play I set by feel. Be careful too much wears the bearings.
Ok so when the car feels good leave it. That's basically what I did. Drive a bit see how it engages and then go more or less. I think it feels good as it is but I have no real way to compare it to any baseline so I thought maybe there's a default good setting. The end play is slight, almost none but you have some wiggle. Hard to tell how much but it is almost how it felt when the car was new and I had help building and setting it up so I guess I'll leave it.
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
Ok so when the car feels good leave it. That's basically what I did. Drive a bit see how it engages and then go more or less. I think it feels good as it is but I have no real way to compare it to any baseline so I thought maybe there's a default good setting. The end play is slight, almost none but you have some wiggle. Hard to tell how much but it is almost how it felt when the car was new and I had help building and setting it up so I guess I'll leave it.
if the traction is high like chaplin you can widen the gap but fuel window will get smaller....make small adjustments check the lap times..
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
Ok so when the car feels good leave it. That's basically what I did. Drive a bit see how it engages and then go more or less. I think it feels good as it is but I have no real way to compare it to any baseline so I thought maybe there's a default good setting. The end play is slight, almost none but you have some wiggle. Hard to tell how much but it is almost how it felt when the car was new and I had help building and setting it up so I guess I'll leave it.
your on the right path just remember to have your engine tuned it changes the ingagement points
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
if the traction is high like chaplin you can widen the gap but fuel window will get smaller....make small adjustments check the lap times..
doesn't that happin when your trying to make power lol
just joking great job with giving a helping hand phil
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi

Last edited by captian; 08-24-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
doesn't that happin when your trying to make power lol
just joking great job with giving a helping hand phil
No doubt. Kelly car been lookin real good this season. He is def. In the mix.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Gael L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 736
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Great feedback Phil but Dredd is not Kelly. Kelly's Tech name is Dreddlox

Peace
Gael
Gael L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa G View Post
Great feedback Phil but Dredd is not Kelly. Kelly's Tech name is Dreddlox

Peace
Gael
he thinks that your fam thats why he keeps saying kelly
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net